X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

making my first x-kilt

So I found instructions written by a member of the site Alan. I still have some questions on how to do make my kilt the way i want.

First thing is I guess i nee some clarification on how to measure myself. I think i might have done it wrong as my waist is 43 and my rump is 44. In the instructions it states that normal should be about 6 inches in between.

Second thing is I am trying to do one with army acu on the inner part of the box pleats. I am trying to do a black on the top and acu for the inner pleat color. I am taking part of my old uniforms apart to use them in the kilt.

If anyone knows some tips of tricks on how to do this I would be very thankful.

Victoria, BC Canada 48° 25' 47.31"N 123° 20' 4.59" W
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The X-Kilt pattern was designed to be a quick and easy, one weekend project.

Adding different fabrics inside the box pleats takes the project a bit beyond what the original intent was. Not impossible, but the X-Kilt manual may not be the help you are asking about.

Unfortunately it has been a while since Alan H. logged on.

May I ask, how accomplished a tailor are you? Have you ever made a skirt or a pair of pants?
    Steve Ashton
    Forum Owner

3. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Steve Ashton For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i have made a pair of shorts a long time ago since then for me it has been mostly just been mending and repairs. My wife is a lot better then I am as she has made a few different items.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A kilt is perhaps one of the most tailored garments.

A traditional kilt has full floating interfacing and takes between 5 and 7 days to construct.

A non-traditional kilt can be much simpler and the construction is more like how blue jeans are made.

Are the two fabrics you want to use of the same composition? If they are different it may make your job much harder.
    Steve Ashton
    Forum Owner

6. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Steve Ashton For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When we talk about measuring for a kilt there seems to be a lot of confusion due to each maker having a slightly different way of explaining it.

May I ask, are you taking your waist circumference down where you would wear blue jeans? A kilt is often worn quite high, right up under the ribs.
    Not that you can't wear it ultra low if you want but that too may cause you problems you were not expecting.

For one thing. If you measured for the waist up, on your belly, you must account for the belly when you measure for the hips. Most will pull the tape out to simulate the front aprons of the kilt falling straight down from the belly.

If I may, take a look in a mirror standing sideways. Does your butt stick out further than your spine at the waist? This is the difference described in the manual.

So, can you post a photo of yourself. Preferably showing how and where you took the measurements.
    Steve Ashton
    Forum Owner

8. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Steve Ashton For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The acu one i want to use is my old uniforms from my time in the army. i have not picked up the other one yet.

I was looking at making a non traditional kilt. more like a utility kilt

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I made a a few kilts from ACU digital fabric and sent them to soldiers serving in Iraq and Afghanistan. But I can't post any photos as they contain modern US Army weapons in them.

The uniform fabric will be quite different from most fabrics you will find in your local fabric shop. This may cause issues when sewing and later as you wear and wash the kilt. Just be prepared for that.
    Steve Ashton
    Forum Owner

11. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Steve Ashton For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yippee!
    I’m so happy to see a new thread on the Xkilt
    It’s how I started and I still whip them up as casual kilts in canvas, stretch drill and denim.

Start off with some light canvas or drill (not the heavy heavy stuff used for seats, etc)
    Fiddle,
    Faffle,
    Swear,
    Break needles and pins,
    Wonder where the hell the dust and lint came from?

Look at the great “thing” you made for mowing the lawn, watching TV, cleaning the car.

But you will have learnt heaps. Unfortunately a lot of the old threads with help and information don’t have pictures attached anymore so post lots of pictures for us to help see what you’re doing.

On to the second one -that will probably be safe to wear in public places.

Maybe you’re ultra cool and you may figure out adding pockets or something useful to your needs and specifications?

I think Number 3 will be the Cammo inserts.... there are various methods forum members have come up with or you may figure out your own way of doing it.

My other advice
    -a couple of straps and buckles are safer and nicer on the right side of the apron as well, don’t rely on Velcro only
    - that whole shaping the apron thing ... nah I never could get it right on cotton based fabrics (wool I can do Thanks Barb)
    straight lines/edges work on the Xkilt.

Best of luck

13. The Following 4 Users say 'Aye' to Lady Grey For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here is where I was taking my measurements

20190905_095826.jpg
    20190905_095859.jpg
    Last edited by oli85; 10th September 19 at 05:07 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    does any one know if i am taking these correctly

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast