X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If I were one of the postings that said your first time in public would be fine, thanks for the conformation. I still find the public willing to accept the look after the few years I have been with the Rabble.
    Good for you.

2. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Tarheel For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NeighborhoodKiltGuy View Post
    I believe I do, somewhere, lol. Will have to post that pic here sometime! Are trad kilts better than utilikilts in most ways, IYO?
    For traditional kilts, you have traditional tartan/solid colour kilts made in wool and then made in other fabrics. Most other fabrics aren't as nice, in my opinion, except for polyviscose -- that stuff is very good for lightweight, warm-weather kilting.

Other than that, they're both fine but it depends on the context. I'll use my Utilikilts for hanging around or doing things that I won't want to do in my traditional kilts (for example, painting, construction, etc.). Utilikilts don't hang or swish or flow nearly as nicely as traditional wool kilts.

Jonathan

4. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to jthk For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jthk View Post
    For traditional kilts, you have traditional tartan/solid colour kilts made in wool and then made in other fabrics. Most other fabrics aren't as nice, in my opinion, except for polyviscose -- that stuff is very good for lightweight, warm-weather kilting.

Other than that, they're both fine but it depends on the context. I'll use my Utilikilts for hanging around or doing things that I won't want to do in my traditional kilts (for example, painting, construction, etc.). Utilikilts don't hang or swish or flow nearly as nicely as traditional wool kilts.

Jonathan
    Yeah, I figured that they wouldn't be as nice. I'd love to save up for an 8 yard 16 oz in Mackay Weathered (one in my profile pic) or Fraser Hunting Weathered from USAKilts.. will take foreverrrrr to save up for one aha!

6. The Following User Says 'Aye' to NeighborhoodKiltGuy For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OC Richard View Post
    I would make sure before I had the kilt shortened- you can't put it back!

Thing is, a large percentage of American kilt-wearers have kilts that are too short.
    Interesting observation. In my experience, the vast majority of kilts that I've seen are too long. Most hand well below the kneecap, or to mid-cap. Even pipe bands here seem to prefer bottom of knee.

8. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Tobus For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, I figured that they wouldn't be as nice. I'd love to save up for an 8 yard 16 oz in Mackay Weathered (one in my profile pic) or Fraser Hunting Weathered from USAKilts.. will take foreverrrrr to save up for one aha!
    <cough cough> credit card ;-)

Joking aside, best of luck with that! I dunno what your size is but I'm currently selling two wool kilts from USA Kilts -- PM me if you're interested.

Jonathan

10. The Following User Says 'Aye' to jthk For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are trad kilts better than utilikilts in most ways, IYO?
    Traditional kilts are more readily recognized by the general public as kilts, rather than as "man skirts." Utilikilts have pockets, which are definitely convenient. Other than that, most of the differences are fairly minor trade-offs, in my opinion.
    Trying to look good on a budget.

12. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Karl R For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For what is worth, I wore a “Flower of Scotland” traditional 8 yard heavy weight kilt in San Antonio to see Les Miserables on Friday Sept 20. Most people did not care. I did get a few complements. They thought the kilt was cool.
    Last edited by AustinDiver; 20th September 19 at 11:19 PM.

14. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to AustinDiver For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AustinDiver View Post
    For what is worth, I wore a “Flower of Scotland” traditional 8 yard heavy weight kilt in San Antonio to see Les Miserables on Friday Sept 20. Most people did not care. I did get a few complements. They thought the kilt was cool.
    Nice! I'm assuming you were at the Majestic Theatre. My wife and I go there maybe once a year to see a show, and I've considered wearing a kilt, but it's such a tight squeeze into those seats, and I worry about my pleats draping down into the folding mechanism of the seats and getting them dirty or snagged. Any issue with that on your visit?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tobus View Post
    Nice! I'm assuming you were at the Majestic Theatre. My wife and I go there maybe once a year to see a show, and I've considered wearing a kilt, but it's such a tight squeeze into those seats, and I worry about my pleats draping down into the folding mechanism of the seats and getting them dirty or snagged. Any issue with that on your visit?
    I did not have a problem. I am pretty new with kilts. I have to watch things when getting in my car.

Women wear long formal dresses all the time to the theater.

My first kilt needs pressing. I never really thought about kilts until preparing for the World Scout Jamboree in West Virginia. The event included a cultural appreciation day, where attendees were encouraged to wear something that represents something unique about their culture or home.

Austin, has signs of Scottish heritage everywhere including the name. The facade of the state capital was built by Scottish rock workers.

I have Scottish ancestry on my mom’s side and some Welsh on my dad’s
    side with most if not all of the original immigrations taking place in the late 1600’s and early 1700’s.

The jamboree organizers were selling kilts in a special tartan. I got the 8 yard kilt to wear on cultural day and I wore it with Scout uniform when traveling/flying to/from West Virginia.

I never thought about getting or wearing a kilt before April. That kilt spent a lot of time in a kilt roll, etc inside of a tent.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tobus View Post
    Interesting observation. In my experience, the vast majority of kilts that I've seen are too long. Most hand well below the kneecap, or to mid-cap. Even pipe bands here seem to prefer bottom of knee.
    That's my observation, too. I think it happens when they get the kilt at the traditional measurement, but then wear it too low at the top, being unused to the traditional kidney-high waist. If it's going to be worn at the jeans-level height, it should be ordered shorter. That's what I did with my second kilt.
    "...the Code is more what you'd call 'guidelines' than actual rules."

Captain Hector Barbossa

18. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to kiltimabar For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast