X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Indecision, i need the rabbles assistance once again.

Between having a mother who chose all my clothes (after all, her and my father paid for it), The RCAir Cadets, The Cdn Forces and 18 years with a wife who used to choose most of my clothes as an adult, i thought i was pretty lucky. One less thing for Jacques to worry about. If something wore out or was outgrown (still happens), like magic several days later i would find a replacement right where the old one had been. However those days are long gone and over the past 10+ years i have been told by close friends that i have no sense of fashion. i am attempting to correct this life long oversight and have purchased clothing that is more becoming of my age and perceived status as a retired gentleman. Mostly conservative saxon fashions which includes a dark suit.

Several weeks ago i purchased and am soon to take delivery of a tweed jacket with argyll cuffs and matching waistcoat to wear with my bespoke MacLeod Modern Kilt. At the time of placing my order i gave no thought to its matching with my kilt, just liked the colour and pattern. Although not ordered by scotweb, this site provides a swatch of the pattern used,

https://www.scotweb.co.uk/tartan/Che...een-152/103262

i am now considering the purchase of a second tweed jacket and waistcoat with crail cuffs. However after much self deliberation, i am unable to decide on my final two choices. i have again posted the websites with the two colours that i am stuck on. Considering the first jacket is a dark green (olive?) with window pane pattern, i am considering the following:

https://www.scotweb.co.uk/tartan/Che...a-Reeve/611038

However, i am still attracted to this one:

https://www.scotweb.co.uk/tartan/Cai...een-121/103231

Also, i am awaiting another kilt in MacLeod Harris Hunting Ancient.

i already have two tattersal and two plain coloured shirts and several neck ties, one brown and one black day sporran, black brogues, brown belt with a nice simple buckle, several pairs of hose in blues, greens and claret, some assorted flashes, a brown balmoral with clan badge waiting to be "Jocked" and a horn handled sgian dubh. i have also been going through my closet to pick out other new clothing which may match with kilt wear for occasions that might not fall under the THCD umbrella (also have an umbrella).

So, can anybody provide any fashion advise with respect to the colour/pattern choice of my next tweed jacket and waistcoat. Or should i just do as was done with the first jacket and waistcoat; damn the kilt and just order what i like? Although this places me right back at square one, two patterns and can't make up my mind. So if you had the choice to add another jacket to your wardrobe, which of the two colours/patterns would you choose?

And no, i have not won the lottery, just saving money for 10+ years. Now i have itchy palms

Thanks much

Jacques

P.S. A BBSBA may be in the future for 2020, providing i can find suitable occasions to need one.
    "I know of no inspiration to be got from trousers."
    Lt. Col. Norman MacLeod, QOCH, c. 1924

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In my rather long experience of kilt wearing I think you will find a tweed kilt jacket will be the most versatile jacket of all. Personally, I would stick with the argyll(gauntlet) cuffs. Why? Well you are wearing the kilt so you are standing out anyway in a crowd, so why water down the effect by choosing rather less kilt like cuffs? Just my thoughts.

If it helps you any, about 40 years ago I recycled most of my kilt attire that I had inherited from 6 uncles, a father, a grandfather and untold distant relatives-----some of it was quite smart ---- amongst a present day fairly large family. Its true that some of it was too small/large, some of it was nearly worn out, but in truth I was running out of wardrobe and attic space.

What do I have now? Two kilts, one plain black sporran(I can borrow a smart formal one from the family if needs be on very rare occasion), one pair of black brogues, one kilt belt, one thirty year old tweed kilt jacket, one black barathea silver buttoned argyll(BBSBA)of similar age, perhaps a dozen tattersall shirts, a couple of white formal shirts that I also wear with saxon attire, several "club" style ties, one self tie black bow tie, perhaps a dozen pairs of kilt hose that I also wear with plus 4's, one set of flashes, two kilt pins, oh! and one balmoral bonnet.

When put like that I feel that I have still got too much kit!

Go steady with those acquisitions or you will spend all day agonising about what to wear, rather than getting out there and enjoying yourself. Choose wisely and choose once.
    Last edited by Jock Scot; 7th September 19 at 03:44 AM.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

3. The Following 5 Users say 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If it were me I would say damn the kilt and go for the jacket you want. You need not match with everything, this is something that most kilt wearers in North America need to understand. We are unfortunately programmed to the whole everything must match estetic, which is not a part of Highland wear at all.

5. The Following 6 Users say 'Aye' to McMurdo For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If it is of any help comparing colours, I think my 30+ year old Harris Tweed argyll works pretty well with MacLeod of Harris tartan.

DSCN0041.jpg

WGN_1530.jpg
    Last edited by Jock Scot; 7th September 19 at 09:00 AM.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

7. The Following 9 Users say 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All good choices.

Between the 2 choice of tweed you have listed, I would go for the brown herringbone - simply for variety as the lovat green windowpane is quite similar to the olive one you already have.

That said - my personal preference would be the lovat windowpane - very versatile and will be a great match for both your kilts. I recently bought a very similar from McCalls.

https://www.mccalls.co.uk/products/jackets-waistcoats

They have some good offers at the moment - I paid £150 for mine.

However, this has crail cuffs and given a choice I much prefer the gauntlet argyll style cuffs - but at this price I can't complain. BTW this tweed is also Marston Mills.

9. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to Tomo For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All your choices look great to me.

And I very much like the outfits people have posted above.

I do see the logic in not getting a second "windowpane" tweed (which I believe is a North American term, the British being "overcheck") and I do like brown kilt jackets, which I don't see many of nowadays.

I'm in the situation of having a couple rather plain tweed kilt jackets and wanting something with more pizazz.

I've settled on this check tweed

and I'm going to order the jacket through St Kilda

https://stkildastore.com/Jackets/Sta...atterned-Tweed

I don't know if you have any interest in check tweeds like that, but I've always admired those sorts of jackets

Last edited by OC Richard; 7th September 19 at 01:30 PM.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

11. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to OC Richard For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nice Jacket

Quote Originally Posted by OC Richard View Post
    All your choices look great to me.

And I very much like the outfits people have posted above.

I do see the logic in not getting a second "windowpane" tweed (which I believe is a North American term, the British being "overcheck") and I do like brown kilt jackets, which I don't see many of nowadays.

I'm in the situation of having a couple rather plain tweed kilt jackets and wanting something with more pizazz.

I've settled on this check tweed

and I'm going to order the jacket through St Kilda

https://stkildastore.com/Jackets/Sta...atterned-Tweed

I don't know if you have any interest in check tweeds like that, but I've always admired those sorts of jackets

It really is a very nice jacket. i like that it has an old time vibe to it. But i'm leaning towards some thing a bit more conservative. Hence the more solid herringbone or large overcheck.

The more i look at the jacket, the more it appeals to me. But being somewhat short and round, i don't think it would suit me. Also, i lack the confidence to wear something this bold (in my eye), even as a jacket with trousers.

Thanks much
    Last edited by Jacques; 23rd September 19 at 01:30 PM. Reason: update

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomo View Post
    All good choices.

Between the 2 choice of tweed you have listed, I would go for the brown herringbone - simply for variety as the lovat green windowpane is quite similar to the olive one you already have.

That said - my personal preference would be the lovat windowpane - very versatile and will be a great match for both your kilts. I recently bought a very similar from McCalls.

https://www.mccalls.co.uk/products/jackets-waistcoats

They have some good offers at the moment - I paid £150 for mine.

However, this has crail cuffs and given a choice I much prefer the gauntlet argyll style cuffs - but at this price I can't complain. BTW this tweed is also Marston Mills.
    You sir, are a very well dressed man.

14. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Jacques For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tweeds

I currently own two: a Lovat Blue tweed in the Argyll style and a Lovat Green in the Crail style. The green has a matching waistcoat; the blue does not. How do I decide which to wear? Whether or not I need a waistcoat. Colour (nor cuff/epaulette style) doesn't enter into my decision here at all.

Though I also think a brown tweed jacket would look grand with a Lovat blue waistcoat. These colours are all designed such that they can be mixed well. I didn't understand or believe it at first but my wife (classically-trained art historian by trade) laughed and pulled out her old colour theory textbooks and explained why that was the case. I still can't say as I understand it but at least I accept it. XD

16. The Following User Says 'Aye' to imbrius For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks all

Thank you all for the helpful posts. Decided to go with the brown herringbone.

Jacques

18. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to Jacques For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast