X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Croeso Fach! Welcome from a cilt wearing Welshman (although I have recently discovered Scottish roots on my paternal grandmother's side.....wonder if they do a Heinz 57 tartan?!)! Glad you found this motley crew. Dive in and enjoy!
    Dduw Bendithia pob Celtiaid

2. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Blaidd For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome from Florida.

4. The Following User Says 'Aye' to MikeC For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Speaking for the rest of Canada, we'd be glad to have you ! We are a big country with room to roam.

Glad your first kilt turned out so well and here is hoping the next does the same.

6. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to bodhran4me For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

welcome

Hope you enjoy it as much as I do

8. The Following User Says 'Aye' to grizzbass For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello, and well done on the kilt.
    My own take on the kilt is rather sombre at the moment - my excuse is that I am doing a lot of playing music for border morris and longsword, and the Cotswold morris side which is up and coming has also chosen to wear black. I have been wearing black kilts, today's is ankle length, but I have shorter ones to wear with hose or leggings.
    I make them myself, as I have a long history of making garments for myself and others. They are not difficult to construct if you understand how to use the grain of the fabric and reinforcing foundations - plus a little maths.
    I find the kilt very practical, and other's in the dance teams have become interested in wearing them as the summer temperatures are making the standard kit trousers, shirts and jackets just too hot for dancing.
    Somewhere I have kilts in tartan, camouflage material and various other patterns - some are too large now and require alteration and others require slight repairs having been worn on heathland and in forest where the vegetation can be rather fierce.
    This forum loves photos, so do keep that in mind if you can provide images.
    I presume to dictate to no man what he shall eat or drink or wherewithal he shall be clothed."
    -- The Hon. Stuart Ruaidri Erskine, The Kilt & How to Wear It, 1901.

10. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Pleater For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome from Sunny Southern California! Especially as you're female and a Scot, two things I'd like to see increase here.

Great choice on the Hunting Stewart Weathered. I too had seen those photos and love the look of that tartan.

HS being tricky because it's an asymmetrical sett, I've seen a variety of approaches as to the pleating and also in what part of the sett is used to centre on the front apron. I'd love to see your kilt when it's done.

About clashing with wedding-colours, I used to pipe at around 40 weddings a year and I tried to be sensitive to that. I know it's something that most pipers don't give a thought to, but here in Southern California brides tend to put great emphasis on it.

I found that a Black Watch kilt didn't worry anybody.
    Last edited by OC Richard; 14th September 19 at 06:17 AM.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

12. The Following User Says 'Aye' to OC Richard For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome wee yin from Cowal and Iowa! photos from the reception could be fascinating!

Digger1

14. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Digger1 For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome from North Yorkshire.

16. The Following User Says 'Aye' to mm42 For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello wee yin and welcome from a fellow newbie from Central Alberta, Canada.

i think your choice of tartan is great. As for blurring your face; in today's internet society, every young lass should pay particular attention to their personal security. i've told my daughter just as much on many occasions.

Love the little cow cartoon, cowtoon. Would you mind if i copied it to send to my daughter? She's a little under the weather and could use a wee laugh. She is probably about your age actually. She and her family live about 4,000 km east of me (Province of New Brunswick).

Again, welcome. No doubt the Rabble will take good care of you just as they have me.

Jacques
    Last edited by Jacques; 23rd September 19 at 08:17 PM. Reason: spelling
    "I know of no inspiration to be got from trousers."
    Lt. Col. Norman MacLeod, QOCH, c. 1924

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiltedjohn View Post
    Welcome from a Glaswegian (if I dare admit it to someone from Edinburgh!) now living in the English midlands. I do share your love of Edinburgh, having holidayed there several times.
    I have nothing at all against wegies You have a lovely city with some very nice people. I have serveral friends and a few relations who live in Glasgow and I often drop by myself to visit Kelvin Grove and the science museum. I prefer Edinburgh of course, but that doesn't mean I don't appreciate Glasgow for her own unique beauty.
    ~ wee yin
    "Gonnae nae dae that."
    ⊙﹏⊙

19. The Following User Says 'Aye' to wee yin For This Useful Post:

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast