X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacques View Post
    Hello wee yin and welcome from a fellow newbie from Central Alberta, Canada.

i think your choice of tartan is great. As for blurring your face; in today's internet society, every young lass should pay particular attention to their personal security. i've told my daughter just as much on many occasions.

Love the little cow cartoon, cowtoon. Would you mind if i copied it to send to my daughter? She's a little under the weather and could use a wee laugh. She is probably about your age actually. She and her family live about 4,000 km east of me (Province of New Brunswick).

Again, welcome. No doubt the Rabble will take good care of you just as they have me.

Jacques

Hello Jacques!

You're right, I generally feel safe online, but that is because I make all my personal accounts private. Any showing of my face normally is done if you actually meet me :P The rest is blurry

Of course you can, I hope it gives her a laugh! I've actually been out of service myself for the last couple of weeks - I fell down the stairs and broke my leg so am writing this post from bed. I hope your daughter feels better soon!

Thank you for the warm welcome. Yeah this bunch seem rather lovely so far!
    ~ wee yin
    "Gonnae nae dae that."
    ⊙﹏⊙

2. The Following User Says 'Aye' to wee yin For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Blaidd View Post
    Croeso Fach! Welcome from a cilt wearing Welshman (although I have recently discovered Scottish roots on my paternal grandmother's side.....wonder if they do a Heinz 57 tartan?!)! Glad you found this motley crew. Dive in and enjoy!

Diolch

I'm trying to learn myself a bit of Welsh on the side - It is such a beautiful melodic language. Sadly I'm awful for my memory and languages aren't a forte of mine. Still, Duolingo is helping me pick away at it, one word a day :P

I suspect a Heinz 57 tartan would consist of 57 different colours. It would in no way be an eyesore of course.
    ~ wee yin
    "Gonnae nae dae that."
    ⊙﹏⊙

4. The Following User Says 'Aye' to wee yin For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pleater View Post
    Hello, and well done on the kilt.
    My own take on the kilt is rather sombre at the moment - my excuse is that I am doing a lot of playing music for border morris and longsword, and the Cotswold morris side which is up and coming has also chosen to wear black. I have been wearing black kilts, today's is ankle length, but I have shorter ones to wear with hose or leggings.
    I make them myself, as I have a long history of making garments for myself and others. They are not difficult to construct if you understand how to use the grain of the fabric and reinforcing foundations - plus a little maths.
    I find the kilt very practical, and other's in the dance teams have become interested in wearing them as the summer temperatures are making the standard kit trousers, shirts and jackets just too hot for dancing.
    Somewhere I have kilts in tartan, camouflage material and various other patterns - some are too large now and require alteration and others require slight repairs having been worn on heathland and in forest where the vegetation can be rather fierce.
    This forum loves photos, so do keep that in mind if you can provide images.

Mad props to you for being able to make your own kilts, that's fantastic!

And thank you for the advice on photos, I'll bear that in mind I'm thinking of perhaps starting a kilt fashion blog with ideas on how to style a kilt in with an everday outfit. I wonder if that would go down well on here?
    ~ wee yin
    "Gonnae nae dae that."
    ⊙﹏⊙

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OC Richard View Post
    Welcome from Sunny Southern California! Especially as you're female and a Scot, two things I'd like to see increase here.

Great choice on the Hunting Stewart Weathered. I too had seen those photos and love the look of that tartan.

HS being tricky because it's an asymmetrical sett, I've seen a variety of approaches as to the pleating and also in what part of the sett is used to centre on the front apron. I'd love to see your kilt when it's done.

About clashing with wedding-colours, I used to pipe at around 40 weddings a year and I tried to be sensitive to that. I know it's something that most pipers don't give a thought to, but here in Southern California brides tend to put great emphasis on it.

I found that a Black Watch kilt didn't worry anybody.

Hello

Interesting about the asymmetry of the Hunting Stewart. I did wonder about that myself when ordering it. I thought having an asymmetrical design would add a bit of extra interest. But yes, it will be intriguing to see what the final kilt looks like - I'll be sure to post photos when I recieve it!

Haha, I've never known anyone to complain about a Black Watch kilt - wonderfully versitle and timelessly classy.
    ~ wee yin
    "Gonnae nae dae that."
    ⊙﹏⊙

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ouch!

Quote Originally Posted by wee yin View Post
    Hello Jacques!

You're right, I generally feel safe online, but that is because I make all my personal accounts private. Any showing of my face normally is done if you actually meet me :P The rest is blurry

Of course you can, I hope it gives her a laugh! I've actually been out of service myself for the last couple of weeks - I fell down the stairs and broke my leg so am writing this post from bed. I hope your daughter feels better soon!

Thank you for the warm welcome. Yeah this bunch seem rather lovely so far!
    Thanks for that. And i sincerely hope you feel better soon.

Jacques
    "I know of no inspiration to be got from trousers."
    Lt. Col. Norman MacLeod, QOCH, c. 1924

Mel1721L is offline Registration terminated at the member's request
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Welcome

Welcome from Spain.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234