X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Hybrid View

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question With kilt worn at proper height, should the front apron lie completely, totally flat?

Hey rabble, back again with another question. With my kilt worn where I've read that it is designed to be worn - with the sides and back of the kilt all right at/under my ribs, and the front of the kilt around two inches or so above my belly button - the apron does not lie flat. It does this weird thing where it puckers in the front, in the middle of the apron, like a v shape if you're looking down at it, and gets more pronounced the more I pivot my belly out and hips forward. It goes away when I wear a sporran. I am curious, because I've only heard of apron puckering happening when kilts are worn too low, and never if worn too high... so does this mean I'm maybe wearing mine too high?

Thanks to all who reply.

Victoria, BC Canada 48° 25' 47.31"N 123° 20' 4.59" W
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As was said in your previous thread, we need photos to better understand what you are describing.

Without photos the best anyone can do is take wild guesses. Which may or may not even help address the issue.
    Last edited by Steve Ashton; 10th September 19 at 09:16 PM.
    Steve Ashton
    Forum Owner

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A picture would help, but MOS (men of substance) like myself find kilts hang differently on us. Every body shape now doubt has it’s challenges but the professional kilt makers account for our imperfections. Not so with an off the rack kilt. Let us know more and the pros here will comment.
    Slainte
    "Good judgement comes from experience, and experience
    well, that comes from poor judgement."
    A. A. Milne

4. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Liam For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is it possible that your sporran strap is the problem? Try lifting the sporran and straightening the apron. Beyond that, agreed, pix always make the difference here.
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster. Lover of God, dogs, most people, joy, tradition, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Give me a bit, will get photos up to show both my perceived problem and where I wear the kilt when it happens.

7. The Following User Says 'Aye' to NeighborhoodKiltGuy For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    While we wait for photos:
    I found that the "balance" of the straps can matter. That is, at which hole each is cinched to can effect the fall of the apron. Symmetry of strap holes might be the issue. Experiment with adjusting the straps to see if it helps any

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    These are the pictures. IMG_20190910_2222497_rewind.jpg

That is the pucker I'm referring to.

These two pictures are my best attempt, with terrible lighting, to show where I wear the kilt, and where the pucker occurs.
    IMG_20190910_2223590_rewind.jpg
    IMG_20190910_2224312_rewind.jpg