X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What's in the heart

Hey Rabble

As stated by certain members of the Rabble { Fr. Bill, Rev. Patience etc.} it's what's in your heart that God sees as we go through life. With that in mind here's a small clip from the Scottish Pipers Association from their recent "Veterans" competition held at the National Piping Center[formally the college of Piping] in Glasgow. The person who filmed this competed after having all his top teeth removed! Age wise at 64 if I competed I would be the wee boy of the group, however we're all pipers in our hearts and play for God. Enjoy

http://www.piperspersuasion.com/078-...ans-comp-2019/

2. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to kilted redleg For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New Thread/Old Thread

With the fore attached video i see well turned out veteran musicians competing in front of a very small crowd of spectators, yet still competing in their life long art as though every seat in the house was full. Which leads me back to this thread i discovered yesterday:

http://www.xmarksthescot.com/forum/f...ld-wear-94572/

If some want to compete in their pajamas, let them. But let them be judged by their dress and deportment as well. If not by the judges then by the public.
    i also recall a past comment by OC Richard comparing pipe band dress to their perceived level of professionalism. Just can't find the thread.
    If i want to "listen" to good music, i'll buy a CD. These veteran pipers are a sight to see and hear.
    Dress for the job you want, not the job you have. Unless you're in the military. Corporal dresses one time like the Base Chief and they never let you forget it.

A wee bit opinionated for a newbie, but i'll leave it up.

Jacques
    Last edited by Jacques; 11th September 19 at 01:57 PM. Reason: dunno.
    "I know of no inspiration to be got from trousers."
    Lt. Col. Norman MacLeod, QOCH, c. 1924

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow if the age is 60, half of the pipe band I play in would qualify!

Quote Originally Posted by Jacques View Post
    I recall a past comment by OC Richard comparing pipe band dress to their perceived level of professionalism.
    Maybe I didn't word it well, but what I was trying to say is that experienced Pipe Band people can make accurate guesses as to a band's playing level by the way the band looks.

I said that on a Pipe Band forum and several people told me it wasn't the case.

So I put it to the test by posting photos of three different bands which play at three different levels, and I invited people to guess the bands' levels merely by looking at the photos. (I had the guessers Personal Message me to avoid confirmation bias etc.)

Every person who sent me their guesses got all three bands right.

There are so many visual clues experienced Pipe Band people pick up on, some of them subtle. It can be the way they hold their pipes, the way the pipes look, the uniform, the way the uniform is worn, body language and posture, and so forth.

Why this is so, I'm not quite sure. Maybe young players who are brought along in a good band learn dress and deportment as well as musicianship from the old hands.

In any case the players at that event have been around the block. I expected solid playing from that first fellow because his dress and deportment said to expect it, and indeed he had a beautifully set up instrument. The other players we saw and heard at the same time, so no guessing!
    Last edited by OC Richard; 19th September 19 at 05:32 PM.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

5. The Following User Says 'Aye' to OC Richard For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

OC Richard

i understand that an experienced musician would notice details i would never see. And the right leadership, mentorship and good examples from senior musicians can make a positive difference. Maybe some of the younger musicians aren't getting that today. And maybe the musicians in this video had the right leadership, mentorship, &c. i've watched the video three times and think the number of hours of practice and playing of the pipes must be mind boggling and a serious example of their dedication and discipline. Like you said: "they know things."
    "I know of no inspiration to be got from trousers."
    Lt. Col. Norman MacLeod, QOCH, c. 1924