X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Tweed kilts?

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I also admire the look of the tartan tweeds. And I covet the look of the tweed kilt suits I see in Victorian pictures. However, I do not currently own either, since I fear both would be super-warm in my neck of the woods.

But someday I may go for it anyway.

Andrew

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmm - I seem to have discovered something which seems wrong - tweed, all kinds, in the traditional patterns - lovely - even if some are close kin to wire wool.
    Tweed in tartan - nooooo.
    I seem to have uncovered traditionalist bedrock beneath my easy going upper layers.
    I presume to dictate to no man what he shall eat or drink or wherewithal he shall be clothed."
    -- The Hon. Stuart Ruaidri Erskine, The Kilt & How to Wear It, 1901.

3. The Following 5 Users say 'Aye' to Pleater For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A post by Matt Newsome, a few years ago, about Tweed kilts:
    https://albanach.org/feeling-the-nee...d-a2d4d75751a9
    waulk softly and carry a big schtick

5. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to jhockin For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for that link! Fascinating.

I do wonder about the contention that the majority of 19th century portraits depicting Highland Dress are of members of the aristocracy "dressed to the nines".

First one must establish what is meant by "portrait".

The Victorian period saw the advent of the enormous popularity of photographic portraits. I've seen many hundreds of those and only a tiny percentage are of aristocrats. Even the ones that are, for example Royal portraits, often show outdoor dress (tweed jackets and hats, small plain sporrans, practical shoes, etc).

Now if we exclude the most popular sort of Victorian portrait, the photograph, and limit ourselves to paintings (which had a calamitous decline in popularity) we might make such an assertion if it wasn't for the fact that the largest corpus of painted Highlander portraits, The Highlanders Of Scotland, has only commoners as its subjects.

I do wonder how many Victorian oil portraits exist of members of the aristocracy in full Evening Highland dress. The number would have to approach sixty to out-do The Highlanders Of Scotland alone.

In any case the Ansdell paintings linked to are what I would call genre paintings. They are of a different nature than oil portraits.

People who hire portrait artists to paint them see the work in progress and have control over it. Having such a painting done was a significant investment in time and money (only within reach of the wealthy) and I would imagine that the sitter would insure that their clothing and accoutrements were depicted accurately.

Genre-painting are a different matter. The figures that inhabit the paintings might be based on sketches done on location, but often are based on models who pose in the artist's studio.

I recall reading that the American Western artist Frederic Remington had quite a collection of clothing and props that he would dress his models in (cowboy outfits, Native American costumes, etc).
    Last edited by OC Richard; 23rd September 19 at 04:46 PM.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

7. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to OC Richard For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    While I don't own a tweed kilt I would like to someday. I have the fabric and will have it sewn into a 4-yard box-pleated kilt at some point in the future.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know about a tweed kilt. I feel tartan is what attracts me to the kilt in the first place. I would, however, be quite happy with a nice tweed vest and jacket for the rare time I would be outdoors in a kilt in the cold and have need of at least some formality.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NortsBot View Post
    I don't know about a tweed kilt. I feel tartan is what attracts me to the kilt in the first place...
    You would have hated the blue pinstripe kilt I made years ago.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

12. The Following 4 Users say 'Aye' to jhockin For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jhockin View Post
    Very interesting.

A few are named tartans (Black Watch, MacKenzie). Many appear simply to be plaids or "fashion tartans".

The most interesting to me are the ones not given tartan names, but which appear to be based on named tartans.

There are two or three that are clearly based on Buchanan, one on Royal Stewart, one on MacBeth, one on Grey Stewart. A few seem to be loosely based on Isle Of Skye. One has the same colour-scheme as HOE's County Cavan.
    Last edited by OC Richard; 28th September 19 at 03:13 PM.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

14. The Following User Says 'Aye' to OC Richard For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OCRichard: I was also taken by the unnamed tartan tweeds, mostly by the hues. Have 4meters of double wide, for my next kilt, patiently waiting for me to get that far down the “to do list”.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	75CB5147-6E0D-4C96-A624-986BF1B3AEED.jpeg 
Views:	5 
Size:	80.0 KB 
ID:	37504

16. The Following User Says 'Aye' to jhockin For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast