X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Freedom Kilts website Scotweb websiten Burnetts and Struth website The Scottish Trading Company
Xmarks advertising information Celtic Croft website Xmarks advertising information Celtic Corner website Xmarks advertising information

User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Tweed kilts?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NeighborhoodKiltGuy View Post
    Those of you who have worn tweed kilts, how do they compare to wool? Heavier, warmer, etc? How does it differ from wool? Am interested to learn, thanks!
    I have a 5 yard tweed kilt in 'Rave' which is an intense purple 15oz tweed by Marton Mills which I fell in love with after seeing for the first time. In wearing it compared to worsted tartan it is softer and lighter, the fabric drapes differently and isn't as stiff as heavyweight tartan. It's slightly easier to wrinkle, but steams out just as easily hanging in the bathroom while a hot shower is running for ten minutes. The tweed itself is a solid colour without any pattern, so it's clear to see that it isn't a typical kilt while wearing it even for people who would not normally make a distinction. The colour itself is quite flamboyant and as suited to Pride parades as it is to wearing with my normal kilt jackets and a tie. But I have a penchant for flamboyant and loud clothing, since I like how it contrasts with my rather introverted personality.

If I were to purchase a tweed kilt today knowing what I do now, I'd get a heavier grade of fabric, 19-21oz or maybe even heavier like the tweeds from Glenlyon. A 28oz tweed kilt? Now that's what I'd call a tank. A super-heavy tweed with low-yardage pleating practically impervious to the elements, in a textile that is clearly not tartan.

2. The Following User Says 'Aye' to tweedhead For This Useful Post:

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123