X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Tweed kilts?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Tweed kilts?

Those of you who have worn tweed kilts, how do they compare to wool? Heavier, warmer, etc? How does it differ from wool? Am interested to learn, thanks!

2. The Following User Says 'Aye' to NeighborhoodKiltGuy For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tweed is wool.

How it compares to tartan depends on whether the latter is worsted or woollen (Saxony), whether the tweed yarn is a Harris type or a smoother 'Border type' and what the weight is.

4. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to figheadair For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a five yard tweed kilt which is very nice to wear, feels warmer than an equivalent tartan kilt. It has hem at the bottom rather than a selvedge. I don't wear it as much because I don't feel as confident going out in in as a conventional kilt which is recognisably a male garment, but I feel the same with my black and Saffron kilts.

That said I am hoping to get a couple more tweed kilts; I've got a green one and fancy one in blue, brown or grey and I love the modern tweed kilt suits that are very popular for weddings and special occasions.
    Last edited by John_Carrick; 14th September 19 at 10:00 AM.

6. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to John_Carrick For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Personally, I would not even consider wearing a tweed kilt outwith the area that possibly might understand the tweed kilt, in other words rural Scotland and even then, I would choose carefully when, where and why I wear it. However, I find in my own mind that the traditional wool tartan kilt will do the same job far more effectively.

As an afterthought, there are of course tartan tweed kilts that are occasionally seen here. To my mind they just look like the owner is trying too hard to be different.

Just saying.
    Last edited by Jock Scot; 14th September 19 at 04:37 AM. Reason: added an afterthought.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

8. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I noticed on the Marton Mills site that they have a number of tartan tweeds.

In the photos here they're clearly different from their ordinary worsted tartans

https://martonmills.com/product-cate...wool/lochaber/
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

10. The Following User Says 'Aye' to OC Richard For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jock Scot View Post
    Personally, I would not even consider wearing a tweed kilt outwith the area that possibly might understand the tweed kilt, in other words rural Scotland and even then, I would choose carefully when, where and why I wear it. However, I find in my own mind that the traditional wool tartan kilt will do the same job far more effectively.

As an afterthought, there are of course tartan tweed kilts that are occasionally seen here. To my mind they just look like the owner is trying too hard to be different.

Just saying.
    Mr Jock, what is it about the tweeds that gives you that opinion? Am curious. It seems others are also quite hesitant to wear them out, in the same manner as tartan, and I am curious as to why. I simply do not know, and wish to.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NeighborhoodKiltGuy View Post
    Mr Jock, what is it about the tweeds that gives you that opinion? Am curious. It seems others are also quite hesitant to wear them out, in the same manner as tartan, and I am curious as to why. I simply do not know, and wish to.
    Just Jock will do nicely!

I love tweed and spend much of my time clad in it in one form or another, as you may have noticed in some of my pictures. For me there is a place for it and there are not places for it and tweed in kilt form does not do it for me. As you may have noticed, I spend a lot of my time shooting and fishing where tweed in the Highlands and in rural UK in general, is everyday attire and very occasionally I see tweed-----Estate tweed usually------ being worn in kilt form. Make no mistake I love Estate tweeds and tweed in general, but even when worn out on the hill I am left with the distinct feeling that it just does not look right in kilt form even in its natural surroundings. So when tweed is worn in kilt form it just looks like someone is tying too hard to be different. I am not impressed by that intent, but then I am not impressed with tartan kilts in general being worn outwith the Scottish Highlands either, and just so you know, I very rarely do.

Alright, thats my upbringing at work influencing my thinking and I know many, most even on this website, will not understand or agree, but there we go. There is a can of worms itching to be opened here, and this subject is closed as far as I am concerned.
    Last edited by Jock Scot; 14th September 19 at 09:05 AM.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

13. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jock has clearly expressed the current Highland situation.

Taking a look at the historical situation, in Victorian times matching tweed outfits (jacket, waistcoat, kilt, and sometimes plaid) were quite common. (Look at the bottom edge of that kilt!!)

I've noticed that over the last decade or so outfits like this are making a bit of a comeback, not in the hills but for fancy dress.
    Last edited by OC Richard; 15th September 19 at 06:59 AM.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

15. The Following User Says 'Aye' to OC Richard For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I may be wrong about this but I associate tweed kilts in years gone by with aristocratic Englishmen who, of course, had no family tartan coming up to the Highlands for a few weeks' shooting.

Alan

17. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to neloon For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Personally I really like the look of tweed tartans, both the rustic appearance of the cloth surface and the subdued elegant colours of the tartans.

Here is Harris Tweed in MacKenzie

Here is Hunting Stewart by Marton Mills

Last edited by OC Richard; 16th September 19 at 02:32 AM.

19. The Following User Says 'Aye' to OC Richard For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast