X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Favorite flashes / garter ties

I'm lucky enough to have a wife that doesn't mind making custom flashes for me any time I want them. I currently have modern green, red, and black. Thinking of another color.

What are everyone's favorite flashes and/or garter ties (colors / patterns / etc.)? Thanks!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Red, followed by Ancient Red (garter ties).

I find that no matter what kilt I wear, or what combination of hose, shirt, tie or jacket/waistcoat, red is always the way to go.

Cheers,

SM
    Shaun Maxwell
    Vice President & Texas Commissioner
    Clan Maxwell Society

3. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to ShaunMaxwell For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My thinking is the same as Shaun's. I put a lot of thought (and money, LOL) into my kilt wardrobe, with plenty of variations on every piece of it. But when it comes to garter ties, I virtually always wear red. It's the one piece of my outfit that I really don't feel any need to change.

But if I were ever to choose another colour for some reason, I think I'd go with a gold, yellow, or mustard.

5. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Tobus For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tobus View Post
    My thinking is the same as Shaun's. I put a lot of thought (and money, LOL) into my kilt wardrobe, with plenty of variations on every piece of it. But when it comes to garter ties, I virtually always wear red. It's the one piece of my outfit that I really don't feel any need to change.

But if I were ever to choose another colour for some reason, I think I'd go with a gold, yellow, or mustard.
    I agree with this... I've only worn red... if I did pick another, it would yellow.

Frank
    Drink to the fame of it -- The Tartan!
    Murdoch Maclean

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Style and colour being independent of each other, I'll address them separately.

Style: For me it's dependent on what my outfit is about.

For my military piper's outfit I use traditional flashes which are woven to the correct width of herringbone worsted wool tape.

Here's a vintage military garter with flash showing the traditional wool tape:

Me wearing my military style flashes

These traditional flashes are still widely available, but put on modern elastic garters.

The potential problem with these is that the ends are cut in an inverted V, and not being hemmed they tend to fray over the years.

For my ordinary civilian Highland outfits I often wear Shooting Socks garters. These end in fringe, obviating the issue of fraying. The handy thing is that they come in sets with a pair of elastic garters and flashes in various colours, making it cheap and easy to co-ordinate outfits.

Me wearing shooting sock flashes, claret with blue hose (neither claret nor blue occurs in the tartan)

The style I don't care for, because it doesn't look traditional, are flashes cut to shape and hemmed out of woven cloth fabric. Garters and flashes AFAIK have always been made out of tape or ribbon specially manufactured to the correct width.

Colour:

I tend to use a warm/cool contrast between my hose and garters. For those not aware, using warm/cool contrast is extremely common in design, for example flags (in red/white/blue flags blue is cool, red is warm) and tartan (all the green & red tartans) and so forth.

So I'll wear claret hose with green or blue flashes, blue hose with claret flashes, etc.
    Last edited by OC Richard; 16th September 19 at 02:09 PM.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

8. The Following 4 Users say 'Aye' to OC Richard For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OC Richard View Post
    I tend to use a warm/cool contrast between my hose and garters.
    It's a good way to get contrast. Alternatively, I'll sometimes go with a light/dark contrast. Two or three weeks ago I wore my red kilt hose with my black garter ties, which stood out nicely.

But it's particularly nice when I can pull off a light/dark and warm/cool contrast simultaneously.
    Trying to look good on a budget.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tobus View Post

I use gold garter ties exclusively, but if I were to branch out I'd go red

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by imbrius View Post
    What are everyone's favorite flashes and/or garter ties (colors / patterns / etc.)?
    I strongly prefer garter ties over flashes, but I tend to coordinate the color with the rest of the outfit, while contrasting with the kilt hose. Therefore, no favorite colors ... other than liking it well enough to buy it in the first place.
    Trying to look good on a budget.

12. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Karl R For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have two sets of flashes. Red, that I made, and (like the ties shown by OC Richard) a grey set. These fit every combination I own.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I received a set of matching flashes when I ordered my kilt. Outside of trying them on out of the box, I have never worn them.
    If I am wearing kilt hose, I am using the hand knit garter ties I made myself. Cranberry Red. I haven't thought too much about alternate colors yet.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast