X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: MacLaren

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Now I get it

Quote Originally Posted by figheadair View Post
    I think it would be wrong to assume that the MacLaren is a simplified Grant, Hunting. Both patterns were included in Wilsons' 1819 Key Pattern Book, the former as No232 or Regent and the latter simply as Grant. There is nothing in their notes about the origins or either or which came first.
    Okay, now I understand. The tartan in my original post is Grant (Wilson's 1819 Key Pattern Book,) not Grant Hunting. Grant (Wilson's 1819 Key Pattern Book,) has the "double tracks" I spoke of, MacLaren does not. MacLaren is not a simplified Grant (Wilson's 1819 Key Pattern Book,) because they both appeared at the same time. Grant and Grant Hunting, (AKA Black Watch) are different setts all together. Got it!
    Thank you,

David
    "I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal."
    Grouch Marx

2. The Following User Says 'Aye' to kiltedsawyer For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To me the distinctive thing about the Black Watch double-track motif is that the line-pairs alternate.

The MacLaren shown in the OP doesn't do that; every square has two line-pairs at the outer edges. I would expect every other square to have a single line-pair down the middle.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

4. The Following User Says 'Aye' to OC Richard For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OC Richard View Post
    To me the distinctive thing about the Black Watch double-track motif is that the line-pairs alternate.

The MacLaren shown in the OP doesn't do that; every square has two line-pairs at the outer edges. I would expect every other square to have a single line-pair down the middle.
    Richard, you're mixing the two patterns being discussed. It's the Grant that has the four lines, not the MacLaren. You point nonetheless is correct about the 2/4 arrangement of the 42nd settings.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12