X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Irish Long Hunter

PLEASE DO NOT DELETE BECAUSE OF THE FIREARMS!
    These are photos of me in my new persona as an Irish/American Long Hunter or Market Hunter from the late 1770's wearing my new USA Kilt Fermanagh County kilt. I shoot at several clubs monthly in my area and was tired of the Rocky Mountain Man persona most portrayed.
    I DO KNOW THE FOLLOWING:
    Irish kilts are a more recent occurrence.
    If an Irishman had a kilt in the 1700's and came to America he would not wear it out hunting as he could not replace it if it got torn or worn out.
    WHAT I DO KNOW:
    I am honoring my ancestors who came to The American Colonies in the middle 1700's and settled in the Northwestern corner of North Carolina in what was the 1st western frontier.
    I am depicting what a hunter in this area might have worn either a "Long Hunter" or "Market Hunter" (not what did wear for sure).
    Breeches might have been more accurate but I wanted a kilt anyway and this is simply killing two birds with one stone.
    As to the firearms they are simply an accessory as is the the Scott's Bonnet, Balmoral, leggings, waistcoat or moccasins are so please don't be offended (why I am not shown aiming either weapon).
    I would appreciate your comments.
    Thanks,
    "Muskrat" Mike McGuireLong hunter.jpgLong Hunter#2.jpg
    I don't know how to "rotate" photos so if someone in administration can do I would appreciate it!
    Last edited by MuskratMike; 26th September 19 at 08:58 AM.

2. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to MuskratMike For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My wife flipped the photos for you Mike. I now know how to do it but can't tell you because it is muscle memory instead of instructive. Good photos.

4. The Following 5 Users say 'Aye' to Tarheel For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looking for more imput

Anyone viewing this thread please give me your imput.
    Thanks,
    "Muskrat" Mike

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i like the coat/capote. Does it have a hood? Also, have you tried the outfit with the shirt tucked into the kilt? Just wondering how that might change the overall look.

Even though i have never found anything in my library of all things 18th century, i personally think there would have been some Longhunters or Coureur des bois who may have gone out of their way to avoid the cookie cutter examples we see at ranges and reenactment camps today.

Jacques
    "I know of no inspiration to be got from trousers."
    Lt. Col. Norman MacLeod, QOCH, c. 1924

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

To Jacques:

No the Colonial Hunters Coat has no hood just a lot of metal buttons. What you saw (not tucked in) is a 1770's waistcoat (vest). Under it was an off white shirt at was tucked in. Below the kilt are wool leggings with woven tie straps and period correct moccasins made by the Huron Indians. That need desperately to be "muddied up" a little.

8. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to MuskratMike For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Muskrat Mike,

I like it! Nicely done. I'm keenly interested as to those leggings. Can you tell me more about them? I'm also curious how this outfit would look with a belted plaid or a "féileadh beag" -- an untailored "little" kilt. (My own ancestors came mostly from Ireland but one of my grandmothers was Huron.)

Best,
    Jonathan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up Leggings

They are much like what you think of a gators. They go from ankle to just over the knee. Most of them were made of buckskin but if wool was available they would use it. The purpose was to keep the shin area from getting scratched and rocks out of the moccasins. Just under the knee they were held up by tie straps made of colored woven material. If you are comfortable sending your e-mail I will send detailed photos and measurements so you can make your own. Warning buckskin is uncomfortable in wet and winter months, wool is "scratchy" so most are lined.
    Thanks for asking.
    "Muskrat" Mike

11. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to MuskratMike For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MuskratMike View Post
    They are much like what you think of a gators. They go from ankle to just over the knee. Most of them were made of buckskin but if wool was available they would use it. The purpose was to keep the shin area from getting scratched and rocks out of the moccasins. Just under the knee they were held up by tie straps made of colored woven material. If you are comfortable sending your e-mail I will send detailed photos and measurements so you can make your own. Warning buckskin is uncomfortable in wet and winter months, wool is "scratchy" so most are lined.
    Thanks for asking.
    "Muskrat" Mike
    Hey there,

I'll PM you my e-mail address, sure. Thanks for the offer.

Traditionally, would people have simply dealt with the discomfort of buckskin leggings or would they have done something else? I'd like to re-create some leggings to use with moccasins as well.

In your experience, do they work well with the kilt?

Thanks!
    Jonathan