X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Thread: Hose So Far

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hose So Far

There was a thread at one time called something like "Show us your hose" and this post would belong there if I could find it.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9220.JPG 
Views:	5 
Size:	111.1 KB 
ID:	37457

Most of these things are Not Kilt Hose but are worn as such anyway.

Name:	IMG_9222.JPG 
Views:	2 
Size:	81.9 KB 
ID:	37455
    These are knee-length dress socks that I don't intend to wear with a kilt anymore. I wore them once to a funeral with a kilt because I had few other options. It worked but actual black kilt hose are on my list of future purchases.

Name:	IMG_9223.JPG 
Views:	5 
Size:	198.2 KB 
ID:	37456
    Sock Dreams classic cotton slouch socks. Not kilt hose (turnover isn't great) but they don't look atrocious, either.

Name:	IMG_9224.JPG 
Views:	4 
Size:	190.3 KB 
ID:	37458
    Sock Dreams Diamond Rib Knee Socks. It's like "I Can't Believe It's Not Kilt Hose". The only thing that makes these not kilt hose is the turnover.

Name:	IMG_9225.JPG 
Views:	3 
Size:	235.6 KB 
ID:	37454
    The only House of Cheviot hose I own (more on order): Lewis in Navy
    A pair of Bavarian Trachtenmode socks I got at a rummage sale held by a local German theater troupe
    White nylon hose that came with the cheap acrylic kilt I bought a while ago and don't wear anymore.

2. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to imbrius For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i exclusively wear gray 80% wool socks by Stanfield's Canada which are totally inappropriate for kilt wear. But in the last two +/- years, after purchasing my first kilt, i've collected a few pair of hose in shades of green (2), claret, ancient blue, an oatmeal-ish colour for some reason, and two pair of khaki military reproduction hose from What Price Glory. The plan is to use the military hose for hiking. i can't see needing any more; if i give myself too many options it may take all day to dress. With the exception of WPG all my hose have been purchased from XMarks Partners. Would post photos but i'm not technologically "there" yet.

Jacques
    "I know of no inspiration to be got from trousers."
    Lt. Col. Norman MacLeod, QOCH, c. 1924

4. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Jacques For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My take

USA Kilts and Scottish Trading Co. have some inexpensive cotton kilt hose with sufficient turn-down. There's a limited selection of colors, but you might be able to cover a fair number of options within those limited choices.

I have a couple pair of Sock Dreams Diamond Rib Knee Socks. I find the height & turn-down to be "close enough" for my tastes. On the other hand, I think my normal turn-down is 1/2" below average ... because I like to show off my sgian dubh.

Imbrius,
    What's your opinion of the Trachten socks? I took a look at them (online), but I couldn't see a compelling reason to choose them over an alternative. Since you have anecdotal experience, what's your opinion?
    Trying to look good on a budget.

6. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Karl R For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't forget to speak with Steve at Freedom Kilts. The shop is closing end November. i would guess he might have a more limited range of hose available, but in my own experience his prices are quite fair. He carry's Wool-Rich which are a 70/30 wool blend at a very reasonable price and well as
    Pipers hose and Lewis hose.

Jacques
    Last edited by Jacques; 18th September 19 at 08:02 PM. Reason: additional thoughts
    "I know of no inspiration to be got from trousers."
    Lt. Col. Norman MacLeod, QOCH, c. 1924

8. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Jacques For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Karl R View Post
    USA Kilts and Scottish Trading Co. have some inexpensive cotton kilt hose with sufficient turn-down. There's a limited selection of colors, but you might be able to cover a fair number of options within those limited choices.

I have a couple pair of Sock Dreams Diamond Rib Knee Socks. I find the height & turn-down to be "close enough" for my tastes. On the other hand, I think my normal turn-down is 1/2" below average ... because I like to show off my sgian dubh.

Imbrius,
    What's your opinion of the Trachten socks? I took a look at them (online), but I couldn't see a compelling reason to choose them over an alternative. Since you have anecdotal experience, what's your opinion?
    I bought the Trachten socks for wear with Tracht, actually. They're in with the kilt hose because they wouldn't fit in my normal sock drawer. But I do intend to wear them with kilts, especially for hiking. They're longer than you'd expect kilt hose to be. Or at least what I'd expect. I have to do a double turnover (one down, half up) to get them in the right place but the bonus is that they stay very well without garters.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    HoC argyle top hose in ancient came yesterday. I might get pics today or tomorrow. I'm donning the Tracht tonight for a lodge visit to the Schwabenhof for dinner.

11. The Following User Says 'Aye' to imbrius For This Useful Post: