X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NotScot View Post
    New to the idea of a kilt but I just got off an Alaskan cruise and saw more than a few guys in kilts for formal night. Now, obviously, I’ve got great knees so, naturally, my thoughts drifted to a kilt. My mind works that way.

Anyhow, my Ancestry DNA says 7% Scot, 87% English/Irish, and 6% Swedish (Vikings, I suppose). So, I can’t claim a clan or anything... What do I do as far as a pattern, etc? Don’t want to step on any toes by wearing the wrong thing resulting in a cross-examination I can’t withstand.
    Just a thought. I assume, perhaps wrongly, that you are an American? If so, why not choose a tartan with an American connection?
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

2. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jock Scot View Post
    Just a thought. I assume, perhaps wrongly, that you are an American? If so, why not choose a tartan with an American connection?
    The question assumes that I did not look. The ones associated with Texas are special weave. A few of the others of ‘American” are just names created as marketing by a weaving mill or one of the shops to sell kilts. I suppose that I could have chosen another tartan.

Many if not most of these tartans did not exist when my ancestors immigrated in the 1600/1700’s to what is now the US or participated in the settlement/colonization of Texas. I live a mile from a Bannockburn Church on Brodie Lane. The granite exterior on the state capitol was built by Scottish rock workers in the late 1880’s. ...

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AustinDiver View Post
    The question assumes that I did not look. The ones associated with Texas are special weave. A few of the others of ‘American” are just names created as marketing by a weaving mill or one of the shops to sell kilts. I suppose that I could have chosen another tartan. ...
    With the greatest of respect, I was answering the OP's first post. However.

I am afraid that "many if not most" tartans that we know today did not exist in Scotland at the time your ancestors settled in the US either. Many of todays Clan tartans were designed much later and often with dubious provenance. The tartans designed by The Sobieski Stuart brothers in the 19th century are a prime example. Alright someone had to invent those tartans, so its really no big deal and they are now respected Clan tartans. However, these tartans, along with most others, arrived on the scene well after the 16th and early 17th centuries.

Tartans are still designed today and a good example of a very recent tartan and popular tartan, is the "Isle of Skye" . These tartans that have no Clan, or, specific affiliation are known as "fashion tartans". So worry not if your US State tartans are a recent invention.

So all in all, I don't think your ancestors in the 1600/1700's would have known tartan as we now know it today.
    Last edited by Jock Scot; 22nd September 19 at 09:10 AM.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

5. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I took an Ancestry DNA test a few years ago. The word "Irish" appeared in my results, rather than Scottish. As far as I know, my mother's side of the family is entirely Scottish, and I have not traced any Irish roots. I think Ancestry are gradually refining their results, so they are beginning to become more specific.

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    New to the idea of a kilt but I just got off an Alaskan cruise and saw more than a few guys in kilts for formal night. Now, obviously, I’ve got great knees so, naturally, my thoughts drifted to a kilt. My mind works that way.

Anyhow, my Ancestry DNA says 7% Scot, 87% English/Irish, and 6% Swedish (Vikings, I suppose). So, I can’t claim a clan or anything... What do I do as far as a pattern, etc? Don’t want to step on any toes by wearing the wrong thing resulting in a cross-examination I can’t withstand.
    In my Ancestry.com findings, they group it as Irish/Scottish. British is a separate category. It's interesting that they do it differently for you. I have other family members who took the same test and show vastly different numbers, so I kind of take the results with a grain of salt anyway.

All that aside, don't worry about any sort of cross-examination. I have never been asked more than what tartan I'm wearing, and if I go into any more detail than that my family name is a Sept of the Buchanans, their eyes glaze over. I don't like wearing any tartan I have no connection to, but I proudly wear a Pennsylvania tartan from USA kilts as I was born there. Pick a state tartan, or one of the "universal" tartans like Black Watch, or just go with one and just state that you like the colors or whatever when asked. I've never seen anyone ask for proof of clan membership, and some clan chiefs have publicly stated that they appreciate someone liking their tartan enough to wear it despite not being in the clan.

8. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Wareyin For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you to all who answered me here!

My main concern was that I would be violating protocol of which I was unaware by simply choosing a pattern I liked and going with it. I’m glad to know that’s not really the case.

I’m probably not going to be able to trace my ancestry any further than what I know now without commissioning a real genealogy but at 65... eh.

Anyway, thank you all for your thoughtful answers, and your help and guidance.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Eh, 7% is good enough. Wear whatever kilt you like. Just know what the name of it is, cause someone is gonna ask you. If you are not comfortable with that there are plenty of tartans that anyone can wear. Or go design your own. Dont get too hung up on the formality of what to wear. Just enjoy it.

11. The Following User Says 'Aye' to MikeC For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The California State tartan looks pretty sharpe, the Irish district tartans, armed and emergency services tartans, and the "universals". Lots to choose from

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hunting Stewart is an excellent, traditional universal tartan in green and blue. Caledonia is an excellent, traditional universal tartan in red. If I didn’t claim a clan affiliation (and wasn’t from North Carolina with an awesome state tartan), that’s what I’d go with.

14. The Following User Says 'Aye' to davidlpope For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is the consensus that I should just pick a pattern I like or really, really try to get to the bottom of things, so to speak?
    Or both!

The kilt I usually wear is Isle Of Skye. I got that simply because I loved that tartan! No connexion to Skye as far as I know.

At the same time I've been learning more about my ancestors. That's where the Stewart name pops up... and the Stewarts have an amazing array of tartans!

You can just go with the tartans that you like, preferably not Clan tartans, in order to not step on Clan members' sensibilities.

There are loads of "fashion" tartans and other "universal" tartans, loads of "district" (regional) tartans, US State tartans, Irish county tartans, various National tartans, and so on. You could have a closet full of different kilts without having a single Clan tartan.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

16. The Following User Says 'Aye' to OC Richard For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast