X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My son's wedding kilt--

Hi, I got great advice here as a newbie, and then dropped off the boards so I could actually spend my time making a kilt (and do all the baking for the wedding reception--an afternoon tea).

So here it is! Thanks to Barbara Tewksbury and Elsie Stuehmeyer's The Art of Kiltmaking, and especially the box pleating supplement.

Basic information: Ross Ancient Hunting Tartan (a family tartan); a 16 inch sett, 8 box pleats, hidden pleats on both sides (this is as skinny as he will ever be again). Hand sewn, traditional box pleated kilt.

I'm proud of the kilt, but more proud of my son.

20190921_104107.jpg20190921_104027.jpg

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Beautiful work. Betcha don’t stop at one!
    Steve.

"We, the kilted ones, are ahead of the curve" -
    Bren.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow!

Outstanding work madame! And the kilt is nice too. Your pride is well founded.

Cheers,

David
    Last edited by kiltedsawyer; 1st October 19 at 06:13 AM.
    "I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal."
    Grouch Marx

4. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to kiltedsawyer For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well done! Congrats on the fine work. (I'm also trying to do what you did -- work with Barb's book and hope to make my own.)

Best,
    Jonathan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks. Overall it was a truly lovely day, and i'm sure the kilt will get lots of use on dress occasions.

By the way, the sporran was a borrowed one for the flashiness of a wedding. His own sporran is a solid black embossed leather which probably suits the kilt better as it is more understated (as is the tartan). But if you can't wear dangly white fur tassels on your wedding day when can you wear them?

And yes, I'll likely make one more...I've told my other son that in the new year he can choose a tartan and a style (knife or box pleated) and I'll get started on his. But without a deadline--at least as far as I know--so I don't know how long it will take me! This one took about 2.5 to 3 months from getting the fabric to being done, with fairly steady 'off work hours' work. I couldn't guess how many hours total.

I've never done a big hand sewn project of any kind before, but working with this wool fabric was wonderful! It's about a 13 oz weight, I believe. We looked at the 16 oz that we could order too, but the colour was different from that mill and this was my son's choice. I think it hangs, and swings, fine though not the same as a knife pleat.

thanks again for the positive feedback!
    Beth

7. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Beth F For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    These are my two boys together. The black sporran on the purple kilt belongs to the groom in green. I think they'll look good together--very sedate.

The purple kilt is an inexpensive commercial kilt (and yeah...the stripes aren't even centered on the apron!) so that kid needs a real one. But for our small wedding celebration no-one cared that the best man's kilt was sub-par. I found out quite late (a week ahead?) that he wanted to wear a kilt too, and didn't have time for anything else.

Still, a nice pair of lads.

IMG_7755.jpg

9. The Following 4 Users say 'Aye' to Beth F For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Beautiful job.

Quote Originally Posted by Beth F View Post
    i'm sure the kilt will get lots of use on dress occasions.
    It doesnt have to be just for dress. He can be proud to wear it anytime. While for dress occasions, I do only wear my Black Watch, I do wear it occasionally just for casual going out. My other two kilts I only wear casually. I dont know why, thats just what i have settled into.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great work Beth!
    He aha te mea nui o te ao?
    What is the most important thing in the world?
    He tangata, he tangata, he tangata
    It is the people, it is the people, it is the people

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks like ya done good on all three! The kilt and the lads!

13. The Following User Says 'Aye' to bodhran4me For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Beth F View Post
    Hi, I got great advice here as a newbie, and then dropped off the boards so I could actually spend my time making a kilt (and do all the baking for the wedding reception--an afternoon tea).

So here it is! Thanks to Barbara Tewksbury and Elsie Stuehmeyer's The Art of Kiltmaking, and especially the box pleating supplement.

Basic information: Ross Ancient Hunting Tartan (a family tartan); a 16 inch sett, 8 box pleats, hidden pleats on both sides (this is as skinny as he will ever be again). Hand sewn, traditional box pleated kilt.

I'm proud of the kilt, but more proud of my son.

20190921_104107.jpg20190921_104027.jpg
    Dear Beth,
    you have reason to be proud - of your son and the kilt that you have sewn. You did a great Job with the box pleats.

Michael from Munich

15. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Michael the Bavarian For This Useful Post: