X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Gordon piper Royal Stewart?

This photo just came up for sale on Ebay. It's dated 1913.

His uniform is fascinating because it has several familiar Gordon Highlanders pipers' elements combined with Royal Stewart tartan and collar badges unknown to me. I wonder if it's a Volunteer or Territorial battalion.

Here's the Gordon Highlanders pipers' uniform one usually sees; note that the sporran, crossbelt, crossbelt badge, waistbelt etc are the same. The crossbelt badge's position is different, caused by how the long plaid is worn.

A different version with the undress frock often seen in India

Last edited by OC Richard; 27th September 19 at 03:41 AM.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i think they're called shoulder shells? Those look different between photo one and the others. Could that help date the uniform?

Jacques
    "I know of no inspiration to be got from trousers."
    Lt. Col. Norman MacLeod, QOCH, c. 1924

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The usual militaria term for them is Swallow's Nests.
    My Clans: Guthrie, Sinclair, Sutherland, MacRae, McCain-Maclachlan, MacGregor-Petrie, Johnstone, Hamilton, Boyd, MacDonald-Alexander, Patterson, Thompson. Welsh:Edwards, Williams, Jones. Paternal line: Brandenburg/Prussia.
    Proud member: SCV/Mech Cav, MOSB. Camp Commander Ft. Heiman #1834 SCV Camp.

4. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Mike S For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good eye! Yes the shells are another difference between the Gordon-like piper in Royal Stewart tartan and the known Gordon pipers who of course are wearing Gordon tartan.

Shells seen on piper's uniforms used to vary from regiment to regiment. I think nowadays only the Scots Guards pipers have distinctive shells.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

6. The Following User Says 'Aye' to OC Richard For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    as an assumption, could it be a Calgary Highlanders piper?
    They definitely wore Royal Stewart tartan in 1920s , they have a cap badge (we see it in the crossbelt) very similar with Gordons , and round collar badges too...
    But he has exactly 2nd Gordon's sporran???

I was not able to find any photos of early Calgary Highlanders pipers...
    Last edited by blackwatch70; 2nd October 19 at 12:00 AM.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks so much Black Watch!

Here are the Calgary Highlanders badges, for sure those are what this piper are wearing

The strange parts are the Royal Stewart tartan and the Gordon Highlanders pipers' crossbelt, waistbelt, and sporran.

The Calgary Highlanders uniform follows that of the Argyll & Sutherland Highlanders, and Calgary Highlanders pipers likewise are dressed like the pipers of the Argylls.

But I read in Barnes that the Calgary Highlanders (present title) didn't become a kilted regiment until 1921. Perhaps prior to the adoption of the A&SH uniform the pipers wore Royal Stewart.
    Last edited by OC Richard; 24th October 19 at 04:44 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Calgary Highlanders pipers definitely wore Royal Stuart tartan kilts and plaids in early years , You are correct.
    The crossbelt furniture and belt are not strictly Gordon Highlanders pattern, I saw photos of same belts have been wearing of some other pipers, and even many civil pipers wore it.
    The only obscure and still open question for me in this photo is a sporran, similar to the one worn by pipers of 2nd Batt Gordons.
    but maybe there is a same answer - it's typical pipers sporran and it has a cantle without any regimental features...