X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Accounting for Waist Expansion, etc.

Haven't posted since my initial introduction months ago, but have been lurking and learning. Starting with the disclaimer that I am, by no means, uneducated at this point, I still have questions. I am not now, nor have I ever been, in shape (other than the shape of a pear or pregnant woman). I have learned all about finding my natural waist, measuring that, accounting for my waist being larger than my hips in measuring so it hangs properly, etc., etc..

First question is, how do you account for waist expansion in your measurements? If I measure while I'm standing, I'm right around 48" at the natural waist (which sits around 2" above my naval). Keeping the tape at the same point and sitting, that measurement expands to around 51" or so. If I get a kilt measuring 48" to fit when standing, will that not either seriously stress the kilt by stretching to accommodate the additional girth or, conversely, actively work to constrict my midsection and practically suffocate me? Or both? Would that not also be true for a belt worn at the same level? I wear my extra weight, essentially, like I swallowed a beach ball. It is 85% in my lower abdomen, much like an expectant mother.

Considering that question, I found something I thought would be ideal while researching. UT Kilts has the Comfort Waist Utility Kilt. This allows for around 4" of expansion in the waist. To save anyone's posting time regarding fabric, I am also aware that TRUE PV (from Marton) and wool are far better options, and that this is not true PV, but most likely Viscose Acetate (65/35, probably). Cost is a minor factor (I could spring for a USA Casual, but not comfortable at Semi-Trad prices yet.). Style is a bigger thing. I almost never wear anything other than jeans or cargo shorts (usually camo) and black t-shirts. I very rarely (read almost never) have occasion or need to "dress". I haven't been to a wedding in over a decade, and funerals would not be a place I would consider wearing a kilt, regardless. I also work in home health care, and can wear pretty much whatever I want, so no need for business dress. I am 99.99% lazy and casual, so "traditional" styled kilts (while awesome, appealing, and eventually wanted) would be lost on me at this time. I do, however, love that these come in tartan, and not just flat, work-wear colors. Twenty years ago, I would have rocked a Utilikilt on stage with my band. These days, the "traditional" (but modern) look is far more appealing. Long question short, how terrible is Viscose Acetate in this instance? I don't need "clean-cut and semi-formal", but also don't want a wrinkled, sloppy mess that will be slovenly-looking and terribly unappealing. (I was just talking to my son about getting a kilt and he said he had seen three people in his store wearing them, and they had turned him off to the idea, completely.)

For reference, I am 5'11" tall. I weigh around 265-270 pounds. Natural waist is approx. 48". Jeans waist is 42.5". Hips are 44.5". Natural waist to middle of knee is 23-24". And my "assets" are pretty much flat and barely-existent. (These are all measurements I took myself against a door frame at work. I'm going to have my wife help me take better, more true, measurements later.) Considering these numbers, would the above-mentioned kilt fit decently?

You have all been a great help and wealth of information already, and I'm sure you will be again, so I thank you for your time and assistance, in advance.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’m a newb as well (been wearing kilts for a bit over a year now), and I own several comfort waist kilts from UT. A few notes (from my experience):

- Material: The poly/viscose (or whatever it is) is a decent knock-about material, I sleep in it (to avoid having to put on workout clothes in the morning), work out in it, do yard work/around-the-house construction, etc. It does wrinkle, but for my purposes looks good enough after I wash it and let it hang-dry.

- Construction: This can be hit or miss. When there is a problem, Brice (owner of UT) is great about solving it, but production mistakes happen. I originally thought the comfort waist would be the last style I’d wear to knock about, but the under kilt comes to my mid-thigh on the left side, and I prefer more coverage (a full wrap under kilt).

Overall, I wish I had purchased one or two nicer kilts (think semi-trad) rather than several cheaper ones, but the UT stuff is decent enough to get your foot in the door to see if kilts are your thing. If I were in your position (and set on UT), I’d go with a standard style in the tartan of my choice (a custom order if necessary) for the full under kilt coverage. If this doesn’t apply to you (we have different body shapes, so your experience and/or preferences may differ), go with the comfort waist- it really is comfortable!

3. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Steelkilt For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I may wind up with a pair of size twelves in my mouth, but I'm gonna recommend Rocky's semi-traditional. Looks better 100%of the time.
    Will probably hold up to anything you're likely to throw at your UT. Yes, more cash, but much more versatile. I wear a kilt more than anything
    else now, and for the last seven years, following 65 years of mostly jeans or cutoffs and t-shirts. I have been amazed at the shift. I've always
    kept a suit for weddings and funerals, as needed, and the occasional times I'm the officiant on those occasions. Tuesday evening I showed up
    in my suit to sing at a funeral, and the widow bemoaned my choice; she had told the family they'd get to see a kilt. The point being my
    semi-traditional can be dressed up for those rare times, the UT not so much. I don't need that often, but good to have the option. The PV in
    a semi costs more than a finished UT. Quality is usually a better option than low price.

Usually. Almost always? But only you can make this choice. And the UT may be enough to satisfy your need. I'm sure you'll enjoy whatever
    you choose. Group experience indicates there'll be more kilts to come, and most express the wish they had started with a better kilt.

5. The Following User Says 'Aye' to tripleblessed For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tripleblessed View Post
    I may wind up with a pair of size twelves in my mouth, but I'm gonna recommend Rocky's semi-traditional. Looks better 100%of the time.
    Will probably hold up to anything you're likely to throw at your UT. Yes, more cash, but much more versatile. I wear a kilt more than anything
    else now, and for the last seven years, following 65 years of mostly jeans or cutoffs and t-shirts. I have been amazed at the shift. I've always
    kept a suit for weddings and funerals, as needed, and the occasional times I'm the officiant on those occasions. Tuesday evening I showed up
    in my suit to sing at a funeral, and the widow bemoaned my choice; she had told the family they'd get to see a kilt. The point being my
    semi-traditional can be dressed up for those rare times, the UT not so much. I don't need that often, but good to have the option. The PV in
    a semi costs more than a finished UT. Quality is usually a better option than low price.

Usually. Almost always? But only you can make this choice. And the UT may be enough to satisfy your need. I'm sure you'll enjoy whatever
    you choose. Group experience indicates there'll be more kilts to come, and most express the wish they had started with a better kilt.
    Appreciate the input. I've been eyeing up the Casuals, for sure, for months now. My thing is, I never dress up. I can almost always be found in jeans/cargos and a t-shirt (or, if just sitting around the house, Adidas running shorts and T). I don't know that I'd feel comfortable (or look decent) in the more "dressy"/traditional style with a t-shirt and Merrell's on. I've ALMOST pulled the trigger on the Casual in Glyndwr several times, but have talked myself out of it every time. On top of the look, the money stops me. I'm fine with the $130 for the kilt, itself. Adding the belt, sporran, strap, etc. is what kills me. I can afford it, but just can't quite justify it, if that makes sense. If I'm getting a decent kilt, I wouldn't want to cheap out on generic accessories to pair with it, therefore driving the cost into uncomfortable territory without knowing how I will like it or how often I will actually wear it. So, I go back to looking at cheap kilts, figuring that if I don't like it, I'm only out a few bucks. Then, I convince myself that if I buy cheap and immediately upgrade, I'm out that money, anyways! LOL... Maybe I just need therapy. *sigh*

Victoria, BC Canada 48° 25' 47.31"N 123° 20' 4.59" W
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One of the things that is often misunderstood is that it is quit common for guys to feel that their belly expands when sitting when in fact their belly is just being pushed up.

If I may suggest one easy experiment. Wrap a bath towel around yourself and sit down. Does the towel become untucked and will it fall off if you stand? If so try raising and lowering where the top of the towel sits on your body. Most guys will find a sort of 'happy medium' at about kidney level in the back where the towel will stay without coming untucked.
    Steve Ashton
    Forum Owner

8. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to Steve Ashton For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Ashton View Post
    One of the things that is often misunderstood is that it is quit common for guys to feel that their belly expands when sitting when in fact their belly is just being pushed up.

If I may suggest one easy experiment. Wrap a bath towel around yourself and sit down. Does the towel become untucked and will it fall off if you stand? If so try raising and lowering where the top of the towel sits on your body. Most guys will find a sort of 'happy medium' at about kidney level in the back where the towel will stay without coming untucked.
    As I was heading up to take a shower for work when you replied, I did what you suggested. I got it where it wants to grip in on the back and sides, as you suggest on your site and here. I wrapped it around snug enough to not want to go anywhere and sat down on the throne. It did not come untucked, nor did it want to fall off when I got back up. It did fit tighter sitting, which is as I expected, but not quite to the extent that I assumed would happen when I was measuring myself with the tape. It didn't quite want to suffocate me, unless I took a pretty deep breath. My upper gut (?) did want to muffin out over the top of the towel when seated, but I guess there's not much to do about that other than wearing the kilt at full rise, which is not really appealing to me. I would have to wear it just under my chest to alleviate that, due to my pear-ish/hourglass-ish shape.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stomper38 View Post
    Appreciate the input. I've been eyeing up the Casuals, for sure, for months now. My thing is, I never dress up. I can almost always be found in jeans/cargos and a t-shirt (or, if just sitting around the house, Adidas running shorts and T). I don't know that I'd feel comfortable (or look decent) in the more "dressy"/traditional style with a t-shirt and Merrell's on. I've ALMOST pulled the trigger on the Casual in Glyndwr several times, but have talked myself out of it every time. On top of the look, the money stops me. I'm fine with the $130 for the kilt, itself. Adding the belt, sporran, strap, etc. is what kills me. I can afford it, but just can't quite justify it, if that makes sense. If I'm getting a decent kilt, I wouldn't want to cheap out on generic accessories to pair with it, therefore driving the cost into uncomfortable territory without knowing how I will like it or how often I will actually wear it. So, I go back to looking at cheap kilts, figuring that if I don't like it, I'm only out a few bucks. Then, I convince myself that if I buy cheap and immediately upgrade, I'm out that money, anyways! LOL... Maybe I just need therapy. *sigh*
    If you are going with a casual look, why not get a semi-trad and the sporran of your choice, and wear your usual clothes with it? There’s no law of kilting (as far as I can tell) that insists on a belt, special shoes, etc. Those things are nice to have, but the essentials are the kilt and sporran (unless you wear a utility-style kilt, then the pockets are built in!). Speaking from some experience (kilts, power tools, cars, etc), buy quality to avoid buying twice. The only reasons I can think of for a “cheap” kilt are a lack of funds (and unwillingness to wait) and/or the item will be subjected to abuse (i.e.- what I do to my UT kilts as described above) and therefore seen as disposable. Best of luck!

One additional note- I own a kilt with velcro and I HATE it- straps and/or buttons are the only way to go in my opinion.
    Last edited by Steelkilt; 6th October 19 at 08:44 PM.

11. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Steelkilt For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Stomper 38, this is my advice. Take it as you will.
    You shouldn’t think of a traditional kilt as a ‘formal’ or upgrade from what is say a usual or everyday level of formality. The more traditional of a kilt you get, it doesn’t really make it more formal, it just looks nicer. (Though nicer looking is more conducive to formality.)
    Mind you, from what you’ve said you have no need to spend the money on a eight yard hand sewn heavyweight behemoth. I would recommend a four or five yard kilt in a heavyweight wool. Don’t bother with the hand stitching and all that. You will never forgive yourself if you pull the trigger on a synthetic and later get to compare it to the real deal.

As for rise, although I am not a ‘gentleman of substance’, I have seen many, and generally I would say the higher the waist of your kilt is, the more flattering it will look on you. My first kilt I had made with a 2” rise, the next will definitely be 3.5” or 4”.

Get a used good quality plain leather sporran and a couple pairs of 50% wool hose. Don’t bother with belts and all that, and depending on the hose you buy flashes aren’t always necessary either.

Good luck!
    “The convents which the fathers had destroyed...the sons, rebuilt…”
    —Hereward the Wake, ‘Of the Fens’

13. The Following User Says 'Aye' to McCracken140 For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steelkilt View Post
    ...buy quality to avoid buying twice. The only reasons I can think of for a “cheap” kilt are a lack of funds (and unwillingness to wait)...

One additional note- I own a kilt with velcro and I HATE it- straps and/or buttons are the only way to go in my opinion.
    I'm on board with the buy quality once. I've jumped that hurdle and am looking at USA now. As far as velcro goes, I've heard so many opinions on both sides of that fence, that it's really impossible to know what to think unless I actually get one and see what I think, personally, at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by McCracken140 View Post
    You shouldn’t think of a traditional kilt as a ‘formal’ or upgrade from what is say a usual or everyday level of formality. The more traditional of a kilt you get, it doesn’t really make it more formal, it just looks nicer.

As for rise, although I am not a ‘gentleman of substance’, I have seen many, and generally I would say the higher the waist of your kilt is, the more flattering it will look on you.
    Until recently, I have definitely looked at "traditional" as more formal. Looking around more, I've come to terms that that is not necessarily the case. I am definitely "substantial". LOL... However, I'm not opposed to mid-rise. Full-rise is not appealing, but mid is OK. I'm looking at 24", which will sit around an inch and a half above my naval and should sit nicely at my natural waist, even being a beach ball shape. ;)

I'm thinking I'll grab a USA Casual, alone, and see how that goes to start with. If I like it and actually wear it a bit, I can look at sporrans and such later as an additional purchase. Makes more sense, to me, to go that route.

15. The Following User Says 'Aye' to stomper38 For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stomper38 View Post
    Until recently, I have definitely looked at "traditional" as more formal. Looking around more, I've come to terms that that is not necessarily the case.
    In case you haven't seen them, these two threads are great for seeing kilts at various levels of formality.

http://www.xmarksthescot.com/forum/f...-attire-46888/

http://www.xmarksthescot.com/forum/f...xamples-85511/

FWIW, I wore a kilt around the yard and to the park yesterday and this is what I wore.

IMG_20191006_171441~2.jpg

IMG_20191006_181050~2.jpg

Shane
    Last edited by gsmacleod; 7th October 19 at 03:52 AM.

17. The Following User Says 'Aye' to gsmacleod For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast