X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

To fellow pipers and British military history buffs.

In the month of October (on the 20th to be exact) the battle of Dargai is commemorated especially by the former members of the Gordon Highlanders and anyone who follows them. On October 20th 1897 the second battalion Gordon Highlanders were locked in battle for the cliffs of Dargai when the order was given for the pipers to play the "boys over the top" and take Dargai. Piper George Findlater was so far out front that he didn't hear the order to play the tune "cock of the north" so he blew his pipes up and played the "Haughs o Cromdale." Piper Findlater was shot through both ankles but managed to prop himself up against a rock and continued to spur his comrades on with his playing. The objective was achieved and for his heroic efforts piper Findlater was awarded the Victoria Cross {VC} and the famous pipe tune the Heights of Dargai was composed to commemorate the battle. You can read the story here:

http://www.pipesofwar.com/hero-of-dargai/history.php

So let's not forget on the 20th of October to raise a glass to salute Piper George Findlater and the 2nd Battalion Gordon Highlanders for their heroic actions.

2. The Following 8 Users say 'Aye' to kilted redleg For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

To fellow pipers and British history buffs

Hello Kilted Redleg the tune CockO The North was the regimental March. The tune Haughs Of Cromdale played in strathspey was the regimental charge. I would bet he heard the order to play a March instead of the Charge. I won’t have any trouble remembering October 20th as it was my dads birthday. So I think I better have a couple of drams of the good stuff. Stickman.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good on you stickman and you better be standing tall when you salute dad !!!!!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Exclamation Kilted Redleg

Hello again, I think my dads uncle ,was in the Gordons, but I can’t be sure as there is nobody left in the family that knows. He died in 1902 in the boer war. T he only picture I have of him in the kilt he has on the apron. By the way I was born on 11-11 when it was called armistice day. My mother used to say, Aye ye blighter born on armistice day and I’ve never had a blinking minutes peace since. Sorry for the bad typing, I’m getting old and dottery.