X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kilted redleg View Post
    Braw

What was wrong with the fit? The remedy might be something as simple as having the kilt maker or a competent tailor move the straps and buckles.
    'twas a bit large and loose. I did as you suggested. A kilt maker moved the straps for me. I waited several months until I would be in the same vicinity as a kilt maker. Moving the straps was a very practical remedy. I made it work for me. 'tis just that I'll have a kilt maker or a trusted kilt vendor properly measure me for my next kilt. No more do do-it-myself for that kind of investment.
    Semper Paratus

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I strongly disagree with Shaun regarding 'easier to dress down'. A kilt is a kilt is a kilt, whether it be 4 yard pv box pleat, or 8 yard silk knife pleat, they are all equally formal and informal, as long as they fit the general pattern of the last 150+ years. If someone brings up utility kilts, all bets are off.
    A proper and competently made kilt should be perfectly suited for the mud of Flanders' fields one day, and the snootiest ball being presented to HRH the following night- provided you get it clean and pressed first. A fine kilt with all the bells and whistles looks great dolled up or with sneakers and sweaty tshirt, and can go casual just as easily.

3. The Following User Says 'Aye' to KnittedReenactor For This Useful Post:

TAB

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Maxwell kilts

Sorry to threadjack.. Shaun, I tried to message you. Message box was full.

Quote Originally Posted by ShaunMaxwell View Post
    What Steve said.

Also, in the event that the temperature is warmer, it's nice to have a lighter weight alternative. Your 5-yarder will be easier to dress down as well.

I wouldn't stress over it, as I'd bet that a great many of us on this forum have found ourselves in the same position. My first kilt was a 5-yarder in the Maxwell ancient colors. I've since acquired a 4-yard box pleat in the hunting colors and 8-yarders in modern and muted colors. They all serve different purposes and some work better with different jackets/waistcoats than others.

Having options is a good thing!

Cheers,

SM

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looks like you've got yourself a 5yd casual kilt now.

Quote Originally Posted by imbrius View Post

I also know I am overthinking this to a very high degree. :/
    Boy howdy. If you really like/have a connection to a Tartan that should be your 8 yarder. You don't want to be in a situation where you'd rather wear a lower quality kilt solely because you like the Tartan more. Congrats your 5 yarder just became a beater kilt. Now you can wear it to activities that potentially would soil/damage a kilt and not worry much.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12