X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Next Kilt Purchase

I do this to myself a lot: I buy something cheaper because it's cheaper, then regret not buying what I really wanted.

I currently own a five-yard kilt with no inner construction in Armstrong ancient. I like it but I'd really want an 8-yard kilt. I plan to order one from USAKilts in the next 6 months, possibly in spring.

My big question is this: I already have a five-yard in my preferred tartan. What should the 8-yard be? Same thing? Then what do I do with the five-yard? Should I go for an Armstrong modern colourway? That feels backwards to me - the ancient looks better with formalwear than the modern and all my formal accessories were gathered with an ancient colourway in mind. Guthrie? But I feel like the kilt I wear for official stuff should reflect my actual name. Freemason Universal, maybe? I might be okay with that.

I think, were I to do away with all the sunk costs and ignore what I already have, I would like an 8-yard in Armstrong ancient. But then reality sets in and I realize that I'd have no idea what to do with my current five yard kilt in the same tartan.

I also know I am overthinking this to a very high degree. :/

Victoria, BC Canada 48° 25' 47.31"N 123° 20' 4.59" W
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Get the new kilt for those occasions when you want to look your best and use the 5 yarder for mucking about or when the good kilt could get damaged or be subject to excess wear.
    Steve Ashton
    Forum Owner

3. The Following 13 Users say 'Aye' to Steve Ashton For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What Steve said.

Also, in the event that the temperature is warmer, it's nice to have a lighter weight alternative. Your 5-yarder will be easier to dress down as well.

I wouldn't stress over it, as I'd bet that a great many of us on this forum have found ourselves in the same position. My first kilt was a 5-yarder in the Maxwell ancient colors. I've since acquired a 4-yard box pleat in the hunting colors and 8-yarders in modern and muted colors. They all serve different purposes and some work better with different jackets/waistcoats than others.

Having options is a good thing!

Cheers,

SM
    Shaun Maxwell
    Vice President & Texas Commissioner
    Clan Maxwell Society

5. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to ShaunMaxwell For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If it were me, I would invest in a good quality 8 yard kilt, in the tartan that pleases me the most, regardless of what I may or may not already own. Variety is great and all, but it's best applied amongst "equal" kilts.

7. The Following 4 Users say 'Aye' to Tobus For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Imbrius, I think you already know what you want; Armstrong in ancient colors. If you're going to spend the money for an 8-yard kilt, make sure it is the one you really want, (and I highly recommend USA Kilts.) Remember, kilts are an addiction, it is just a matter of time before you'll want another.

Wear them all in good health.
    Cheers,

David
    "I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal."
    Grouch Marx

9. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to kiltedsawyer For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As others have said, including yourself, get what you want and you will be happier than if you compromise.

If you really don't like the idea of the same tartan and colourway then you might consider selling your 5 yard. You would take a loss but probably not too bad of one, given USA Kilts reputation. You could either use the money to get the kilt you want sooner or if you keep an eye out you can get bargains on either ebay or craigslist and still get the one you want come spring. . I got my 16 oz, 8 yard Lochcarron Maple Leaf $350 CDN rather than $740 (incl. taxes) for new from a guy on Kijiji (Canadian version of craigslist). It took a year of waiting for the right kilt but it paid off. This is also just about the time companies sell off their ex-hire which can be a money saver, especially if you are looking for a 'second' kilt in a generic or universal tartan.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    imbrius

I agree with Steve the only thing I'll add is - if you have nothing against tweed get the same kilt only in tweed and have that as your "dress" kilt.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by imbrius View Post

I do this to myself a lot: I buy something cheaper because it's cheaper, then regret not buying what I really wanted.
    I do this to myself all the time too! It's a sort of curse, and self-inflicted.

Quote Originally Posted by imbrius View Post
    My big question is this: I already have a five-yard in my preferred tartan (Armstong ancient). What should the 8-yard be? Same thing? Then what do I do with the five-yard? ...were I to do away with all the sunk costs and ignore what I already have, I would like an 8-yard in Armstrong ancient.
    Seems to me that you've pretty much answered your own question, that your ideal kilt is a traditional kilt in Armstrong ancient. If I were you I would go ahead and buy it.

As I mentioned I go through this all the time. I often get a "nearly right" thing, then promptly stumble upon a "more nearly right" or even "exactly right" thing. I usually pull the trigger without hesitation.

So what do I do with the initial not-quite-right thing? Up on Ebay it goes!

With some of my things, musical instruments in particular, I've gone through a gradual upgrading process that's taken decades.

I'm buying used, though, not new. There's no difference in value between a ten-year-old thing and an eleven-year-old thing; vintage things don't depreciate; so I have a free rental period, for as long as I wish.

Even if I should loose a bit of money, so what? I've got rid of something I'm not going to use anyway.

Once you have your lovely Armstrong ancient kilt, and wear it for years, you might want to diversify, say getting Armstrong in modern or weathered or muted colours. But that's down the road, and I wouldn't let it influence what I do now.
    Last edited by OC Richard; 8th October 19 at 06:15 PM.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’ve learned ‘tis prudent to ha’e the kilt maker take proper measurements when investing in a quality kilt. I followed the written measuring instructions carefully. I took the added precaution of having the person charged with maintaining and issuing pipe band uniforms measure me as well. I was less than pleased at how the kilt fit when it arrived in the post. No fault of the kilt maker. The kilt maker did a wonderful job constructing the kilt.

The logistics of engaging a kilt maker for proper measuring can be daunting. Alternatively, perhaps some of the sartorial vendors that are not kilt makers might be qualified to take proper measurements at Scottish festivals? I’ll likely not invest in another quality kilt without being properly measured by a kilt maker or a qualified sartorial vendor recommended by a kilt maker.
    Semper Paratus

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Braw

What was wrong with the fit? The remedy might be something as simple as having the kilt maker or a competent tailor move the straps and buckles.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast