X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tobus View Post
    That's why I didn't refer to the Asian distilleries as Scotch makers, and referred to Scottish ones as "real" ones.
    Thanks Tobus i got that. But i also recall reading something online a few month ago about Japanese whisky that they had referred to as Scotch. Your comment made me think of the earlier information, hence my post. i would never assume that you would not know the difference between Scotch whisky and any other kind of whiskey. i would be surprised if you have not done sufficient research on the subject, as have i.
    "I know of no inspiration to be got from trousers."
    Lt. Col. Norman MacLeod, QOCH, c. 1924

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can certainly vouch for the popularity of Scotch in China. I frequently see adds for tasting events and bars that specialize in whisky. Scottish brands are commonly displayed for sale behind the counter of convenience stores, along with the higher-end Chinese liquors.

Andrew

3. The Following User Says 'Aye' to kingandrew For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tobus View Post
    I thought I read a while back that Scotch was really popular in Japan, and growing in China. Authentic Highland distilleries were having a hard time meeting demand, and it led to a bunch of distilleries sprouting up in Asia. I would doubt that any real whisky distilleries in Scotland will have to cut back because of this; they will just shift their shipping to other markets.
    Hi Tobus
    My understanding is that the scotch whisky association sees the US as an emerging market who currently import about 22% of the global market. This would be a possible large hit and I just wonder if some of the smaller and emerging distilleries would be looking at altering their production plans in the near term. I do understand that there is a current boom in scotch but this has happened before and we saw distilleries closed mothballed and indeed demolished. Of course this would only happen in a prolonged dispute.
    Fingers crossed this is a short term issue
    David

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kingandrew View Post
    I can certainly vouch for the popularity of Scotch in China. I frequently see adds for tasting events and bars that specialize in whisky. Scottish brands are commonly displayed for sale behind the counter of convenience stores, along with the higher-end Chinese liquors.

Andrew
    Very curious. How to the Chinese refer to Chinese or Asian made whisky? Is it just called whisky? or do they refer to it by brand? Or do they refer to it as Scotch?

Thanks much

Jacques
    "I know of no inspiration to be got from trousers."
    Lt. Col. Norman MacLeod, QOCH, c. 1924

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I cant speak from experience in China, but scotch has to be distilled Aged at least 3 years in oak and bottled in Scotland to be called scotch. Now all scotch is whisky. Typically if you go to a bar and order whisky you would get the bar brand of the country that you are in. So the US would be bourbon, Canada would be a rye etc. Otherwise you would order your preferred brand by name.
    Cheers David

7. The Following User Says 'Aye' to David Dubh For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Scotch Whisky by another Name

Slightly off topic, but there is a distillery here in Texas (Waco) called Balcones. These guys make a whisky that is pretty darn competitive with actual Scots Whisky in international competitions. Getting some is also pretty darn competitive and the only place I have tried it, was in a high end joint in Dallas.

Benning Boy is offline Membership Revoked for repeated rule violations.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Back to tartan

MM only ships through brokers in the US. Broker fees on my order of custom woven Dalrymple added over a hundred dollars to my cost. Elliots sent a custom order to me through Royal Mail and there was no additional cost.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Benning Boy View Post
    MM only ships through brokers in the US. Broker fees on my order of custom woven Dalrymple added over a hundred dollars to my cost. Elliots sent a custom order to me through Royal Mail and there was no additional cost.
    Both do excellent work although I prefer a selvedge on my cloth. It's also worth remembering that by supporting Scottish weavers then the skills and the trade will continue here.

11. The Following 6 Users say 'Aye' to figheadair For This Useful Post:

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123