X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pocket watch chain with some history

My wife is an antiques dealer, and often comes across items of interest to me. She snatched this one up because she knows I love pocket watches and interesting chains, and the provenance on this one is fairly interesting.

This pocket watch chain belonged to Robert Edward Ringling, the son of Charles Ringling (one of the famous Ringling Brothers). Robert Ringling was, amongst other things, an opera singer as well as the chairman/president of the Ringling Brothers and Barnum & Bailey Combined Circus. He died in 1950, and this chain remained in the family along with numerous other personal effects. His grand-daughter is selling off a number of Ringling family items, and this was purchased directly from her.

We also purchased some books that have stamps inside the cover denoting that they came from the personal library of his father, Charles Ringling (including a late 1800s copy of some Sir Walter Scott poetry).

Anyway, the chain itself is nothing spectacular. But it has some interesting bits hanging on it. The fob end is a sterling silver retractable pencil engraved with his initials "RR", and a watch key. At the link where the watch would be connected, there is a gold stamp with his initials "RER" (engraved backwards, of course, for sealing into wax or some such, like a signet ring). Moving up the chain, there are two charms: a tiny working clamp, and a cross peen hammer (?). I'm not sure of the significance of these, if they relate to the circus or something else.

I think it's pretty cool. No Scottish connexion, of course, but I'll happily wear it with one of my watches when I wear a kilt. It's a neat conversation piece. My wife may have the opportunity to go out to his grand-daughter's house and examine some more items for potential purchase. I'd be interested to see if there are any family photos of him wearing it.

2. The Following 11 Users say 'Aye' to Tobus For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is a cross peen hammer, and I believe the clamp may actually be an old version of a stillson wrench. Sledge hammers were used to drive tent stakes, but I don't see the significance of the smaller hammer or the clamp/wrench to the circus. In any event, what a wonderful find! Enjoy!
    Last edited by ASinclair; 8th October 19 at 05:34 AM. Reason: spelling
    Allen Sinclair, FSA Scot
    Eastern Region Vice President
    North Carolina Commissioner
    Clan Sinclair Association (USA)

4. The Following User Says 'Aye' to ASinclair For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interesting most certainly, but far too many dangly bits for my taste.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jock Scot View Post
    Interesting most certainly, but far too many dangly bits for my taste.
    Yes, I normally wouldn't opt for a bunch of dangly bits on a watch chain, aside from a fob or a pendant (usually not both). My favourite chain just has a key on it, which is both decorative and functional at the same time (seen below).

On this one, I'll likely have to remove the stamp whilst wearing in order to attach my watch to that clasp. I may tie the two charms higher up on the chain so they don't slide to the bottom of the drape of the chain. But other than that, I'll likely leave it as-is and see how it goes.

7. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Tobus For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tobus View Post
    Yes, I normally wouldn't opt for a bunch of dangly bits on a watch chain, aside from a fob or a pendant (usually not both). My favourite chain just has a key on it, which is both decorative and functional at the same time (seen below).

On this one, I'll likely have to remove the stamp whilst wearing in order to attach my watch to that clasp. I may tie the two charms higher up on the chain so they don't slide to the bottom of the drape of the chain. But other than that, I'll likely leave it as-is and see how it goes.

I like that waist coat. New, vintage; manufacturer?

Frank
    Drink to the fame of it -- The Tartan!
    Murdoch Maclean

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Highland Logan View Post
    I like that waist coat. New, vintage; manufacturer?

Frank
    Thanks. It's vintage (as is the jacket that goes with it), and may have originally been a bespoke set. This is the thread from when I first got it.

On a happy note, I've lost 17 pounds since taking those photos. I felt like a sausage whose casing was about to burst. Now it fits me much more loosely.
    Last edited by Tobus; 8th October 19 at 09:38 AM.

10. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Tobus For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks. It's vintage (as is the jacket that goes with it), and may have originally been a bespoke set. This is the thread from when I first got it.

On a happy note, I've lost 17 pounds since taking those photos. I felt like a sausage whose casing was about to burst. Now it fits me much more loosely.
    Very nice set.

17 lbs! Congrats on the weight loss. Are you where you want/plan to be? Exercise and or diet?

Frank
    Murdoch Maclean

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Highland Logan View Post
    Very nice set.

17 lbs! Congrats on the weight loss. Are you where you want/plan to be? Exercise and or diet?

Frank
    Almost. *Almost* there!

My goal is to be between 140 and 145 lbs. I started at a hefty 163 lbs, and am currently at 146 lbs. I've gone from a "muffin top" in size 34 pants down to comfortably wearing size 32, and thinking about going down to size 31.

It's been a slow road, but I've been working on it for about 7 months. Low-carb diet, plus exercise. I started doing daily morning walks of around 2 miles, then ramped up to jogging (which I hadn't done since high school, some 30 years ago). Nowadays, I mix running and walking every morning for 3.5 to 4 miles before work. If I could just cut back on some bad habits like my after-work beer reward, which fights against the low-carb diet, I could be easily at my goal weight. It's just a matter of how badly I want it, LOL.

13. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Tobus For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If I could just cut back on some bad habits like my after-work beer reward, which fights against the low-carb diet, I could be easily at my goal weight. It's just a matter of how badly I want it, LOL.

Guinness has less calories and only a little more carbs than Bud Lite, and tastes a lot better.

15. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to MikeC For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Almost. *Almost* there!

My goal is to be between 140 and 145 lbs. I started at a hefty 163 lbs, and am currently at 146 lbs. I've gone from a "muffin top" in size 34 pants down to comfortably wearing size 32, and thinking about going down to size 31.

It's been a slow road, but I've been working on it for about 7 months. Low-carb diet, plus exercise. I started doing daily morning walks of around 2 miles, then ramped up to jogging (which I hadn't done since high school, some 30 years ago). Nowadays, I mix running and walking every morning for 3.5 to 4 miles before work. If I could just cut back on some bad habits like my after-work beer reward, which fights against the low-carb diet, I could be easily at my goal weight. It's just a matter of how badly I want it, LOL.
    Well it appears to be working, so keep at it to reach your goal, and best of luck!

Frank
    Murdoch Maclean

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast