X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Benning Boy is offline Membership Revoked for repeated rule violations.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MarK C View Post
    Hi Benning Boy.
    We live in a small town SW of Gardner.
    I didn't want to buy an expensive kilt until I was sure that I wanted to continue wearing one.
    If I get another one, it most likely be a tartan.
    I do have a plain black leather with 3 tassels day sporan that I wear with my modern kilt. My kilt is pretty flat laying, meaning the pockets don't bulge out. Also there is one center pleat in the center of the rear, and then the pleats are folded away from it. I can't remember what's it's called.

I've been following usakilts on you tube. I was looking at their kilt that has the Velcro waist in it. But knowing how long I keep my clothes, I'm not sure how the Velcro will hold out. On the flip side, I'm not sure how often I will wear one also.
    With my solid color kilt, I try to wear a plaid flannel shirt with it to give it that Celtic nod.
    I haven't been able to find her family's tartan (McDill). I did find one of her uncle's (Gunn) and her grandfather (Fuller). But none that I knew of were interested in their family history and certainly not into kilts.
    So... Her father is the family historian now. His Aunt pasted on several years and he took on that role.
    MarK C
    You must be in the Edgerton neighborhood. I live north of Topeka.

If you're thinking about getting a tartan kilt you probably will get a tartan kilt. It's sort of imperative. Go for a USAKilts casual for a start. It's the one with the velcro. You'll be glad you did.

You could always go directly to J. Higgins and be measured and place a order for their least expensive version. It would give you a chance to see other kilts and tartan swatches. A tartan kilt will get the ladies' attaention.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome from another Kansas Citian. Our wives seem to have been in the same camp but mine has mellowed out to the point of ordering her own kilted skirt.

3. The Following User Says 'Aye' to jhead7090 For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Benning, I was up in Meriden a couple weeks ago at the threshing show. I display flywheel engines.
    I was not wearing a kilt. :'-( J Higgins is little out of my price range right now. Maby after income tax return.
    Jhead I would be happy if my wife would wear a kilted skirt. She's getting used to the idea of the kilt a little at a time.

Benning Boy is offline Membership Revoked for repeated rule violations.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MarK C View Post
    Benning, I was up in Meriden a couple weeks ago at the threshing show. I display flywheel engines.
    I was not wearing a kilt. :'-( J Higgins is little out of my price range right now. Maby after income tax return.
    Jhead I would be happy if my wife would wear a kilted skirt. She's getting used to the idea of the kilt a little at a time.

Darn, i always miss the threshing shows. I enjoy that sort of thing. I actually live closer to Meridan than i do many of the places i need to go in town. Its about 8 miles to Meridan and 12 miles to the VA hospital, where i go requently

I used to deal with a lot flywheel engines. The biggest were Ajax with a 4-foot or so wheel. The oil company i worked for had a lot of old equipment. It was interesting to see such engines working at night spitting flame you couldnt see in daylight.I sorta miss their pop pop sound.

I tnink a utility kilt would be right attire for such dirty work. Of course you'd need understanding coworkers. Higgins have a very nice casual kilt that's comparable to most other similar kilts.

6. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Benning Boy For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12