X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Some interesting modern-style waistcoats & jackets

Somebody forwarded this link to me, and I clicked on it out of curiosity. I see some interesting/unique waistcoats here that might work well with a kilt in a more contemporary style (as well as some that would perhaps fit a more traditional style). Also, some interesting jackets with short enough waists on them that they could work with the kilt, proportionally-speaking.

https://therys.com/collections/hot-sale

The prices seem fairly reasonable as well, although I'm not sure where these garments come from.

There are 50 pages of stuff to look at, and I haven't been through them all. I wouldn't see myself necessarily buying any of these, but I thought someone here might be interested, just because there's a large variety of styles that may appeal to the more fashion-forward amongst us.

2. The Following 5 Users say 'Aye' to Tobus For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for this info. I'm always interested in odd vests of the appropriate length.

Just as an initial observation ... this website screams "caveat emptor." When I spot-checked a half-dozen vests, most didn't state what material the vests were made from. Even when the product had "four" photos, it was one photo, then cropped differently, then reversed.... In most cases, I couldn't be certain whether the vest was self-backed or not.

The prices look great. I might gamble with $35 and see what I can get.
    Trying to look good on a budget.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Karl R View Post
    Just as an initial observation ... this website screams "caveat emptor." When I spot-checked a half-dozen vests, most didn't state what material the vests were made from. Even when the product had "four" photos, it was one photo, then cropped differently, then reversed.... In most cases, I couldn't be certain whether the vest was self-backed or not.

The prices look great. I might gamble with $35 and see what I can get.
    That’s also what I thought. I’m interested in one of their coats, to wear with p@nts. Let us know how you get on!
    “The convents which the fathers had destroyed...the sons, rebuilt…”
    —Hereward the Wake, ‘Of the Fens’

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very curious to see them listing bust size for men's vests, so clicked on Contact us. Wan Chai, Hong Kong.

6. The Following User Says 'Aye' to tripleblessed For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, I figured they would be from somewhere in Asia. No doubt they are mass-produced items, with quality on par with price. Not knowing any more about them than what I saw in 5 minutes of browsing, though, it does seem like they have some jacket and waistcoat styles that I haven't seen elsewhere. Some are fairly ridiculous, and some might actually work well.

I don't know if their models tend to have overly-long torsos, but they make a lot of these waistcoats look very short, as if they would work well for the higher waists of kilts. As for the model who is wearing leather suspenders/braces OVER his waistcoat, well...

8. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Tobus For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tobus View Post
    Yeah, I figured they would be from somewhere in Asia. No doubt they are mass-produced items, with quality on par with price. Not knowing any more about them than what I saw in 5 minutes of browsing, though, it does seem like they have some jacket and waistcoat styles that I haven't seen elsewhere. Some are fairly ridiculous, and some might actually work well.

I don't know if their models tend to have overly-long torsos, but they make a lot of these waistcoats look very short, as if they would work well for the higher waists of kilts. As for the model who is wearing leather suspenders/braces OVER his waistcoat, well...
    Is that not a leather rucksack he's wearing?...

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No, he's got it clipped to his front belt loops and it just goes round his shoulders like a shoulder holster rig. There are front and back photos here:

https://therys.com/collections/hot-s...sd1adb2627531b

It just seems odd over a waistcoat, unless it really is a holster rig. But it doesn't seem suited to that.
    Last edited by Tobus; 13th October 19 at 03:47 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tobus View Post
    No, he's got it clipped to his front belt loops and it just goes round his shoulders like a shoulder holster rig. There are front and back photos here:

https://therys.com/collections/hot-s...sd1adb2627531b

It just seems odd over a waistcoat, unless it really is a holster rig. But it doesn't seem suited to that.
    Does look very bizarre now I see the whole thing...

12. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Allan Thomson For This Useful Post: