X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mystery Jacket

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mystery Jacket

Any ideas what this is?

Seems like some sort of hybrid between a Sheriffmuir and a Kenmore. Although I assume the jacket is worn open like a Sheriffmuir (otherwise what is the point of the vest) but then it doesn't have the double row of buttons typical to that style. Maybe some sort of brigade jacket - but again the vest seems an odd fit. Not to mention the four buttons on the vest.

Anyway - please enlighten me.

BTW - it is made by Moss Bros (a UK Gents and Military outfitter est. in the 1850s - although these days more of a high street shop).
    Last edited by Tomo; 11th October 19 at 01:16 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The jacket has a feel of a LARP (Live Action Role Play) 'Highlander'/period jacket which used to have the sleeves open on the inner seam from the shoulder to the cuff, where they were secured by buttons/toggles. I say that because they too had no collar and only had the lower buttons to secure the front.
    Dduw Bendithia pob Celtiaid

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OCR will no doubt know for sure, and have lots of great photos, and advert illustrations. My limited knowledge says it's just an evening doublet, made up marketing name irrelevant. I can see this worn open with black bow tie, belted plaid, cross-belt, and evening belt w/ dirk, over top of the waist coat. It seems to be what would be worn as Full-Evening, or Court Dress. Suck as this 1909 Forsyth calalogue image hosted on the House Of Labhran site. This would be my guess.

Frank

Last edited by Highland Logan; 11th October 19 at 01:39 AM.
    Drink to the fame of it -- The Tartan!
    Murdoch Maclean

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Blaidd View Post
    The jacket has a feel of a LARP (Live Action Role Play)
    I think unlikely give the apparent age/condition of the jacket or that Moss Bros would have made it - although maybe it could have been modified from something else.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Highland Logan View Post
    ... it's just an evening doublet
    I'm pretty sure it is - it just seems an odd mix of stuff. From the other photos it looks vintage but no info on dates and I couldn't hazard a guess.

6. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Tomo For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomo View Post
    I think unlikely give the apparent age/condition of the jacket or that Moss Bros would have made it - although maybe it could have been modified from something else.
    Most definitely. I wasn't suggesting that it Was a LARP jacket, just trying to use a suitable comparative descriptor. Good grief, man! One would never suggest that the Brothers Moss would stoop to such a thing!

8. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Blaidd For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Highland Logan View Post
    OCR will no doubt know for sure, and have lots of great photos, and advert illustrations. My limited knowledge says it's just an evening doublet, made up marketing name irrelevant. I can see this worn open with black bow tie, belted plaid, cross-belt, and evening belt w/ dirk, over top of the waist coat. It seems to be what would be worn as Full-Evening, or Court Dress. Suck as this 1909 Forsyth calalogue image hosted on the House Of Labhran site. This would be my guess.

Frank

A great photo!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree it’s a regulation doublet it has probably been in storage so long that the lapels are no longer turned down in an open position. Try turning the lapels down I think you’ll see the jacket style better
    Slainte David

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by David Dubh View Post
    it’s a regulation doublet
    Cheers David - could be, that was first thought and difficult to tell from the photos - but doesn't look like a lot to play with in terms of the lapel, and no notches (which I would expect) - plus the button configuration is a bit irregular for a regulation doublet (pun 1/2 intended).

I am almost curious enough to buy it just to find out!!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’d wager that it’s a Kenmore doublet designed to be worn with a jabot with a mismatched waistcoat. Note the different lining fabrics.

13. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to davidlpope For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast