X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

G Godwin Boadsword/Backsword

Just came across a reference online from the book; Swords and Blades of the American Revolution, 1995, George C Newman author. In the book he relates the Basket Hilt Backsword was an item of issue for Highland regiments from 1757. From 1725 to 1750ish the Independent Highland Companies/Black Watch/43 Regt/42 Regt were provided with a Government issue broadsword mounted with an almost identical basket hilt. Another reference used to make the aforementioned conclusion was lifted from the book; British Basket-Hilted Swords: A Typology of Basket-Type Sword Hilts, 2005, Cyril Mazansky author.

The more information i obtain/am provided with, the more confused i become. But don't let that stop you from providing more information.

Also, a question for anyone who has one of the G Godwin swords; are the pommels screwed on or peened? If the pommel is peened (hammered in place), it is going to be quite a bit more trouble to disassemble and then attach hilt a to blade b.

Jacques
    Last edited by Jacques; 12th October 19 at 09:26 PM. Reason: Found more stuff to complicate matters
    "I know of no inspiration to be got from trousers."
    Lt. Col. Norman MacLeod, QOCH, c. 1924

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacques View Post
    Just came across a reference online from the book; Swords and Blades of the American Revolution, 1995, George C Newman author. In the book he relates the Basket Hilt Backsword was an item of issue for Highland regiments from 1757. From 1725 to 1750ish the Independent Highland Companies/Black Watch/43 Regt/42 Regt were provided with a Government issue broadsword mounted with an almost identical basket hilt. Another reference used to make the aforementioned conclusion was lifted from the book; British Basket-Hilted Swords: A Typology of Basket-Type Sword Hilts, 2005, Cyril Mazansky author.

The more information i obtain/am provided with, the more confused i become. But don't let that stop you from providing more information.

Also, a question for anyone who has one of the G Godwin swords; are the pommels screwed on or peened? If the pommel is peened (hammered in place), it is going to be quite a bit more trouble to disassemble and then attach hilt a to blade b.

Jacques
    On the Godwin backsword that I owned, the pommel was screwed onto the threaded end of the blade tang. After I sold it (to a fellow Jacobite reenactor), he removed the backsword blade (saving it to be remade into dirk blades) and installed a curved sabre-like blade, because he wanted a "turkail" such as the one that is portrayed in the portrait of the Grant Champion. So you shouldn't have any problems installing a new blade to your hilt.

I have copies of Neuman's "Swords and Blades" and Mazansky's "Baskethilt Sword Hilts" and I don't dispute the conclusions they made about the early swords of the 42nd and its predecessors. My theory is that the "ammunition quality" hilt existed prior to 1757, but when the Colonels/Independent Company requested swords from the Ordnance system, they could specify whether they wanted them with broadsword blades or backsword blades. Another point is that Neuman and Mazansky may have been working with swords that had been rebladed with broadsword blades in the 18th century, and they had aged with the hilts so as to appear as original equipment. There is still much to be learned about 18th century Highland swords, particularly regimental ones, and hopefully it will surface. In the meantime, I encourage you to go forward and learn as much as you can, and then proceed on what you know. If better information surfaces a day later, so be it, but you've done the best you can.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    BC36209D-B761-4059-AC66-521E2872045D.jpg

This was the now discontinued CAS/Henwai sword I was speaking of earlier.

They might be out there in the wild. Like all other reproductions, they are too big.

The stainless hilt can be hidden by japanning.

4. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Luke MacGillie For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Gentlemen

Thank-you for the additional information. It helps me a great deal in forming my conclusions regarding which direction to proceed. i had not seen that particular CAS/Hanwei sword, only the Highland backsword and broadsword Hanwei currently offers for sale, and if the Hanwei backsword has a screw on pommel it can be purchased locally for next to nothing and i can use it with a G Godwin basket. At least until something better comes along. Have also discovered online the backsword was used as early as the 17th century and were cheaper to produce, which would suggest to me your conclusions are correct. And lastly, i have learned if some one goes to the trouble and expense of producing a book, it's more likely to be filled with facts when compared to online opinion from some one, who gathered their opinion from other online opinions. So i appreciate your efforts.

Thanks much

Jacques

6. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Jacques For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Orvis View Post
    My theory is that the "ammunition quality" hilt existed prior to 1757, but when the Colonels/Independent Company requested swords from the Ordnance system, they could specify whether they wanted them with broadsword blades or backsword blades.
    Issue swords go back as least as far as 1743, as there is this note on the Inspection return from the time of the Companies being formed into a regiment and marched south. "There are 480 swonds wanting to compleat the Regiment; the contractor for making the swords having forfeited his contract since the 2d of February last, but they are now making. Given under my hand the 14th of May, 1743 SEMPILL"

My understanding is that in the Independent Companies, being somewhat of a Gentleman's club, the men provided their own swords and pistols. When they were embodied as a Regiment, the Govt assumed that responsibility.

In 1752 in Ireland a soldier of the regiment was Tried for stealing a sword that was the personal property of a Sgt of the regiment, most likely a man who had been with the unit since it was just Independent Companies.

The fact that some personal owned swords were still around in the early 1750's, combined with the lack of good reproductions is why many units just have a "Run what ya Brung" way of doing things with swords.

8. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Luke MacGillie For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Luke - Thanks for the additional information concerning early swords in the Highland Independent Companies and the early Black Watch. I'd presumed that the men in the Independent Companies brought their own swords since, as you said, it was a "gentleman's club," complete with the men having their own ghillies. And some of that probably carried on into the newly-raised 43rd Highland Regiment, despite many of the gentry discovering that the being in the newly raised Highland Regiment (and liable for foreign service) was no longer the honorable fun it was in the Independent Companies in their own home country.

I have seen how Highland reenactment groups (particularly those portraying mid-18th c. regiments) go with the sword/dirk situation - "Run with what you brung" in reaction to the lack of accurate reproduction Other Ranks' swords. I've seen a lot of replica 19th c. officer swords with broadsword or backsword blades (with metal or leather scabbards, and brass or steel hilts), replicas of 18th century gentlemen's swords that are clearly above the station of a private of foot in an Highland regiment, and lots of 19th century pipers dirks, too. Additionally, some Highland reenactors carry brass-framed Scottish pistols, which were not made and issued until the American Revolution period. A lot of this is due to ignorance of exactly what Highland soldiers were armed with in the mid-18th century, as well as due to the lack of accurate replicas. Speaking for myself, it took me about ten years and a good deal of money to learn enough and acquire the right items to get myself on track for accuracy in weapons and dress. There was a lot of misinformation out there, as well as the usual myths about what Highlanders wore or fought with at that period.

10. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Orvis For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Scabbard

And you just provided me with my next project. Making an authentic scabbard for my backsword of many parts.

Jacques

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

GG Godwin

Has anyone had any recent dealings with The Sutler of Mt. Misery, GG Godwin from Valley Forge, PA.? Placed and paid for a purchase over four weeks ago and still awaiting shipping information. Forwarded 2 emails, last one was last week and no response.

Is the company still in business? Could i have slipped between the cracks (3 times)? Or is this the; i'll get my purchase when i get it marketing technique?

Thanks much

Jacques

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Shipping is slow, communication is pretty much non existant. That is the business model it seems. It hearkens back to the days of actually filling out a order form or reasonable facsimile, inserting that and a check or money order into an envelope and mailing it off. Then magically months later a box shows up. And well, that was how I ordered from them in the 80's.

14. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Luke MacGillie For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As far as I know, Godwin is still in business - I saw their booth at last April's Ft. Frederick 18th c. Market Fair in western Maryland. It is a one or two person endeavor, so service will be slow - especially if they don't have what you want in stock. I think their baskethilt swords and other blades are imported from India, so being out of stock is a real possibility. That they don't respond to correspondence is a mystery - certainly no way to run a business, IMHO, so I'd recommend that you call them sometime during business hours during the week. Now that cold weather has set in, they are more likely to be "in" than in spring, summer or fall, when they travel a lot and visit reenactments and rendezvous.

16. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Orvis For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast