X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sword money, 1763

Quote Originally Posted by Orvis View Post
    Jacques,

I'm sure Serjeant Thompson supplied his own sword, as he came from a socially well-off family and (as you said) was hoping as a volunteer to snag a commission in the regiment. Since officers had to supply their own uniforms, arms, etc, they would be using family heirlooms, or swords purchased from Glasgow or Stirling sword cutlers. I agree with you on the quality and authenticity of Armour Class (of Glasgow) swords - I have one of their broadswords with a Stirling hilt that I employ when I'm portraying a Highland gentleman with my Appin Regiment 1745 reenactment group. I think Armour Class is missing out on some sales by not including in their line a backsword with a regimental OR hilt. Their swords aren't that expensive - about USD $600 (or a little more) - and they would certainly have a market in the reenactment community!
    Consulting the list of 171 soldiers of the 78th Regiment discharged 1763 North America, who received £3 "sword money" as they left the army, it appears serjeants did not collect the money, whereas corporals and privates did. Further, consulting a similar list from the 27th Regiment, again, only corporals and privates received the money.

If you require copies for your records, please PM and provide your email. I'll happily forward over.

Regards,
    Jeffrey

Sources:
    The amount of His Majesty's Royal Bounty of 14 Days Pay, also sword money paid to the Discharged Men of the 27th or Inniskilling Regiment of Foot, Commanded by Lieutenant General Hugh Warburton whose names are undermentioned. Library Archives Canada, Letterbook/Copie de lettres, 1763-1771, RG4, C-2, vol. 1.

An account of His Majestys Royal Bounty of Fourteen Days Subsistence, also the sword money paid the following men of the 78th Regiment Discharged in America. Ibid.

2. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Jeffrey For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had my own set of issues with Godwin. It took me three months to get my dirk from them, and almost ten months to get a cartridge box, belt and bayonet frog. The baldric I ordered came in about two weeks, so good on that one. They have had a bad time this year. Between a flood, labor shortages and their leather guy having to go out for heart surgery they’ve really been through the wringer.

4. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Guthrumironhead For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey View Post
    Consulting the list of 171 soldiers of the 78th Regiment discharged 1763 North America, who received £3 "sword money" as they left the army, it appears serjeants did not collect the money, whereas corporals and privates did. Further, consulting a similar list from the 27th Regiment, again, only corporals and privates received the money.

If you require copies for your records, please PM and provide your email. I'll happily forward over.

Regards,
    Jeffrey

Sources:
    The amount of His Majesty's Royal Bounty of 14 Days Pay, also sword money paid to the Discharged Men of the 27th or Inniskilling Regiment of Foot, Commanded by Lieutenant General Hugh Warburton whose names are undermentioned. Library Archives Canada, Letterbook/Copie de lettres, 1763-1771, RG4, C-2, vol. 1.

An account of His Majestys Royal Bounty of Fourteen Days Subsistence, also the sword money paid the following men of the 78th Regiment Discharged in America. Ibid.
    Thanks Jeffrey, much appreciated. Copies not required, i added your references to my book.

Jacques
    "I know of no inspiration to be got from trousers."
    Lt. Col. Norman MacLeod, QOCH, c. 1924

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123