X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Box Pleat Kilt Makers

I've been thinking about giving a 4-Yard box pleated kilt a go; however, I have had trouble finding kilt makers that currently offer them as an option. The two that I have found are Bonnie Heather Greene and The Box Pleated Kilt. Does anyone have experience with the box pleated kilts from these makers or have suggestions of other kilt makers that I should consider?

Victoria, BC Canada 48° 25' 47.31"N 123° 20' 4.59" W
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    May I also add Barb Tewksbury to your list. She is the Author of "The Art of Kiltmaking" which is the kilt makers primary written source.

Both Bonnie Heather Greene and Barb Tewksbury are advertisers here and I can vouch for both their quality and business reputations.
    Steve Ashton
    Forum Owner

3. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to Steve Ashton For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I haven't purchased a kilt from The Box Pleat Kilt, but I did get a very good deal on a group buy type deal on a Margaret Morrison sporran arranged by him. He allowed for several payment options, received and placed the order and had it shipped direct to my address. The transaction went very well.

Not sure if he makes box pleat kilts or not but just in case Steve Ashton (above) is afraid to toot his own horn, he is also an advertiser (Freedom Kilts) here as well as forum owner.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    While it is the same guy, I felt it better to respond this way and not as the forum owner.

While I do make Box Pleated Kilts I simply do not have enough time for fabric to arrive before I close my retail shop.

I would like to take a month or two off so I can finish some other projects before I take a kilt order.

So I am sorry, I am not in the running.
    Steve Ashton
    www.freedomkilts.com
    Skype (webcam enabled) thewizardofbc
    I wear the kilt because:
    Swish + Swagger = Swoon.

6. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to The Wizard of BC For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Matt Newsome made mine.
    Insperata Floruit! - Flourished Unexpectedly!

KABOOM; Kilted Christians; Kilted In Carolina; Matt Newsome Kilt Owners Group; R Kilts are Awesome; SEKS - The Great Southeastern Kilt Society; The Order of the Dandelion

8. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Balaamsass51 For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Physics

I do make 4-yard box pleated kilts, also Kingussies and reverse Kingussies, if you want other options for shorter yardage kilts. Just send me a PM if you're interested!

Barb
    Kiltmaker, piper, and geologist (one of the few, the proud, with brains for rocks....
    Member, Scottish Tartans Authority
    Geology stuff (mostly) at http://people.hamilton.edu/btewksbu
    The Art of Kiltmaking at http://theartofkiltmaking.com

10. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Barb T For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PhysicsIsPants View Post
    I've been thinking about giving a 4-Yard box pleated kilt a go; however, I have had trouble finding kilt makers that currently offer them as an option. The two that I have found are Bonnie Heather Greene and The Box Pleated Kilt. Does anyone have experience with the box pleated kilts from these makers or have suggestions of other kilt makers that I should consider?
    My absolute favourite kilt is a 4-yard box-pleated in Kennedy Modern from Barbara Tewksbury. Absolute work of art. There are other kilt-makers who make them. Isaac Walters, for example, has made me a very fine 4-yard box in Stewart Weathered Hunting.

Jonathan

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Both of my kilts are box pleated, and are somewhere between Ultra traditional and archaic....... :-)

One by Matthew Newsome and the other by Isaac Walters. Ike still pops in here from time to time, but is not an advertizer. He does have a "Business" page on Facebook. https://www.facebook.com/IHWaltersFactorum/

13. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Luke MacGillie For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wanda McSwain in Columbus, North Carolina makes boxpleated kilts.

Caveat is that I've not seen her boxpleated kilts, however I do own an ordinary knifepleated kilt by her and it's a fine traditional handsewn kilt at a reasonable price.

She first came to my attention years ago when I was looking for someone to make a Cameron Highlanders style boxpleated kilt, and she was recommended as someone who could do military style kilts. (I bought a civilian style kilt from her instead, oddly enough.)

Here she is https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KitzwT4tk_0
    Last edited by OC Richard; 31st December 19 at 05:03 AM.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

15. The Following User Says 'Aye' to OC Richard For This Useful Post: