X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by McMurdo View Post
    I have 2 sporrans with MoD cantles and brown bags, one was made by Artificer and the other was a family heirloom that was handed down to me, I have never worn either for formal wear. I would not be apposed to it but as yet I have been content with either my sealskin or horsehair sporrans for evening wear.
    Thanks for clearing that up. I’m pretty sure I’ve heard figheadair say he uses his for evening but I’ve beeb wrong before (in this thread too!).
    Descendant of the Gillises and MacDonalds of North Morar.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FossilHunter View Post
    I think figheadair and mcmurdo wear brown leather sporrans with the brass MoD cantles with evening dress. They can chime in though to clarify if I’m mistaken.

I’m just saying the “rules” are flexible depending on the wearer’s taste.
    The suitability of different metals for different levels of dress is a complex subject, and will depend on several variables. Metal, cantle design, bag material and style, etc. Which, I suppose, further makes the point that one cannot simply lump all metal cantle sporrans together.

Disclsimer: both of my brass MoD cantle sporrans are for daywear. One is a leather bag, the other goat hair.
    Last edited by Tobus; 13th October 19 at 06:22 PM.

3. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Tobus For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Frostbeard View Post
    IFirst is, I rarely see black shirts being worn with kilts. Am I just not seeing them because they aren't normally worn or are they just not worn with kilts?
    Most people don't wear black shirts. For those of us who wear black shirts, it's easy to match them up with a kilt.

In particular, I remember a thread from a few months ago where people were discussing the Loud McLeod tartan. Someone pointed out that black shirts (and sweatshirts) worked very well with the bright yellow kilt. (Multiple photos were provided as an illustration of the point.)

I often wear black shirts for evening functions (from casual to dressy casual). If I'm wearing a black shirt with a kilt, I'll wear black hose, then coordinate my garter ties with my kilt.
    Trying to look good on a budget.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have worn a black shirt with my kilt (although typically I go with a blue one). I last wore the black one to a beach BBQ for a friend's 40th with bow ties required for the gents - it was warm so no jacket, just vest, and thought this looked appropriate for the event.

As a broad brush approach with sporrans, I would say skin and metal for evening wear, leather for daywear, but then my grey sealskin sporran is understated enough I think I can get away with it for daywear and my black leather sporran is subtle enough for evening wear. So no hard and fast rules, as far as I am concerned. However, to a large extent my choice of sporran is driven by my choice of kilt and jacket (I tend to prefer some combinations over others) and the formality of the event.
    Last edited by Tomo; 15th October 19 at 05:53 AM. Reason: I wear shirts NOT shorts with my kilt...

6. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Tomo For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The answer to these two questions, all boil down to style, and to what level in regards to traditional dress you plan to meet.

Black shirts; not a fan. Everyone has an opinion, that's mine.

Sporrans.. that's a whole other bag.. pun intended.

Day wear:

1. Plain leather, black or brown. No need to match shoe colour. Most prefer a sporran belt, but the standard chain is fine.
    2. Leather with metal cantle. Brass is preferred for day, but really dressed up, and you feel like you understand the rules, silver can work.
    3. Full-Mask, or head-on. Fur sporran with head as cantle. Depending on size and style, ie. tassels, other attached metals; the full-mask can work from t-shirt to full-dress (white tie).
    4. Hair sporrans, goat or horse. As above cantle construction; metal or leather, tassels, etc.

Evening wear:

1. Fur with silver cantle. Most often with tassels.
    2. Full-Mask
    3. Hair sporran

Now we get into what people really do. Personal flair, as some would call it. You well see lots of photos here from many members where they choose to bend some of the conventions. Once you fully understand what should be worn, depending on circumstance, then you well develop a sense when a sporran which shouldn't for a level of dress, well work. And there are those no interested in traditional dress, and choose to wear what they want, when they want to.

As you can see it can be complicated. The first step is to decide whether or not you plan to take a traditional route. If you do try to understand as much as you can on what-is-what. And after some time and confidence is wearing Highland attire, you'll know when and where you can bend rules as part of your personal flair.

If you decide, you want to go a more contemporary look, there is lots of info on x-marks for that too.

In short, best of luck; everyone has an opinion, this is mine; others will vary.

Frank
    Drink to the fame of it -- The Tartan!
    Murdoch Maclean

8. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to Highland Logan For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sort of another general rule, more shiny = more formal.

Plain leather everything = least formal (most flexible, IMO).

Dull brass or pewter cantle + leather front = slightly more formal still.

Shiny gold or brass + leather front = yet still more formal.

----- DIVIDING LINE BETWEEN DAY AND EVENING -----

Shiny silver cantle + leather front = still yet more formal.

Shiny silver cantle + fur front = still yet more formal.

Things outside of the day/evening dichotomy:

If you add a fur front to an otherwise plain leather sporran, it may or may not be more formal. There are differing opinions there.

Fur front + silver-adorned tassels = a bit more formal than plain leather, because of the silver. Many feel these to be un-traditional blurrings of the day/evening wear line, however.

A traditional blurring of the day/evening wear line is a full-mask sporran (one made from the fur and face of an animal). That can be worn any time day or evening, with all levels of formality.

From the X-Marks THCD guide:

Sporran: Black or brown leather for daywear, silver-coloured cantle and fur/hair for formalwear, full-mask anytime. “Semi-dress” sporrans are frowned upon by some as “neither fish nor fowl.” Notable exceptions to this schema such as brass or gilt cantles and fur front day sporrans are beyond the scope of this post but should be noted in passing.
    Last edited by imbrius; 14th October 19 at 05:56 AM.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by imbrius View Post
    You can make a plain leather sporran more formal by polishing it, for example.
    I have never heard of this, and would respectfully disagree. The level of formality of a sporran is dependent on its style/construction and material, but I cannot think of any sporran that would somehow increase in its suitability for formal dress simply by being polished. Where did you come across this information?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tobus View Post
    I have never heard of this, and would respectfully disagree. The level of formality of a sporran is dependent on its style/construction and material, but I cannot think of any sporran that would somehow increase in its suitability for formal dress simply by being polished. Where did you come across this information?
    My brain, too early this morning. >.< I figured if it worked that way for shoes, then why not sporrans. Illustrates the dangers of writing without thinking.
    Last edited by imbrius; 14th October 19 at 09:10 AM.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Black shirt with U.S. Army tartan and Shoshone pouch used as a sporran

Black shirt with Loud MacLeod tartan.
    Ol' Macdonald himself, a proud son of Skye and Cape Breton Island
    Lifetime Member STA. Two time winner of Utilikiltarian of the Month.
    "I'll have a kilt please, a nice hand sewn tartan, 16 ounce Strome. Oh, and a sporran on the side, with a strap please."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

More popular these days

As a general observation, the wearing of black shirts with kilts are more and more popular these days among younger folk in Scotland it seems. That said, I've also seen a number of other colors in deeper hues (Dark Purple, and a "Bottle Green" spring to memory) in the past few years....and they looked quite nice!
    David

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast