X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dress Regulations for the Royal Regiment of Scotland

Going by the posts there are a fair few of the rabble either ex-forces or have had family that have served. I thought these current regulations might be worth a gander for those interested. (If this has been posted in the wrong section, please shift it to the correct one).

https://www.theroyalregimentofscotla..._DressRegs.pdf

2. The Following 13 Users say 'Aye' to Miller6582 For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very interesting for those of us without experience regarding the regiment. Thank you for posting it.

Holcombe

4. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Holcombe Thomas For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Enjoyed that, thanks.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is a "military history & heritage" forum here that I suppose would be more appropriate than "general kilt talk". In the end it doesn't seem to matter what forum. True that this is the forum most people see AFAIK.

It's quite amazing just how many different orders of dress there are, there have long been, in the Highland battalions.

Several orders of dress have a kilt version and a trews or trousers version, or both.

And there are orders that have two (or more) kilt versions, one with plain brogues, selfcoloured hose, and leather sporrans and another version with spats, diced hosetops, and long hair sporran.

There are stone shirts, pale blue shirts, and sage green shirts in otherwise similar dress. It boggles the mind.

Here's a thread I did recently on the RRS piper's uniforms, made more complicated due to the retention of Antecedent Dress and because solo pipers, solo drummers, and the entire pipes & drums often compete at Highland Games and usually wear a mix of military and civilian kit there.

http://www.xmarksthescot.com/forum/f...orm-rrs-94092/
    Last edited by OC Richard; 16th October 19 at 07:23 PM.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For those of the rabble on the piping end go to: https://www.theroyalregimentofscotla...egs-Part-2.pdf

and to part two of the RROS dress regulations that deals with pipe bands and regular military bands all 111 pages of it. Who'd thought the RROS has an OC in

it.

8. The Following User Says 'Aye' to kilted redleg For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's difficult to see on my phone, but it looks like all the photos use the same model wearing a kilt with military box pleats. Didn't they switch over to knife pleats?

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tobus View Post
    Didn't they switch over to knife pleats?
    It wouldn't surprise me, due to them being less expensive to make and easier to maintain, but I haven't seen anything about it. AFAIK the RRS wears the old Senior Sergeants/Officers kilts of the Argyll & Sutherland Highlanders, except with the Black Watch ribbons replacing the A&SH panel.

That's the generic RRS kilt. The various Pipes & Drums still maintain (last I heard) Antecedent Dress which follows the various old uniform customs, and the Royal Stewart kilts would be knife pleated of course.

And I'm guessing that the Black Watch kilts worn by the Drum Major and drummers of 3SCOTS in Antecedent Dress would be knife pleated.

Of course the Erracht Cameron kilts of the Pipes & Drums of 4SCOTS would be boxpleated as always.

I think the dress of the Pipes & Drums of 7SCOTS points the way to a potential (perhaps inevitable) generic RRS-wide pipers' kit.
    Last edited by OC Richard; 19th October 19 at 06:53 AM.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

From Michigan, USA. Currently in Lancashire, UK
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OC Richard View Post
    Of course the Erracht Cameron kilts of the Pipes & Drums of 4SCOTS would be boxpleated as always.
    Actually they aren't anymore. I was quite surprised to see knife pleats on a kilt that I altered for a young piper from 4 SCOTS. See Below. Photo is from the 4 SCOTS Facebook Page.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4SCOTS.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	50.7 KB 
ID:	37617
    Last edited by Arnot; 19th October 19 at 08:44 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Miller6582 View Post
    Going by the posts there are a fair few of the rabble either ex-forces or have had family that have served. I thought these current regulations might be worth a gander for those interested. (If this has been posted in the wrong section, please shift it to the correct one).

https://www.theroyalregimentofscotla..._DressRegs.pdf
    Delete without comment.
    Last edited by 1oldsarge; 22nd October 19 at 06:32 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Female Equlivant

Here are a few photos of female equivalent dress. One is a civilian honorary Colonel for a cadet unit and the group are a UOTC from Aberdeen University. Female's in the Pipe Bands for Scottish UOTC where the same dress as the males, sporran and all. As to paying for uniforms, they majority of dress uniforms are issued as needed, officers get a grant for some of the non standard issue kit.

Name:	auotc.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	107.2 KB 
ID:	37628

Name:	3662731804_09718cde3e_b.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	151.9 KB 
ID:	37629

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast