X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jock Scot View Post
    The longer I have been on this website the more subtle and not so subtle, differences I detect between one side of the Atlantic and the other. I am not saying either is right or wrong,
    but I am saying that they are different. I see nothing wrong in that.
    Agreed. While there are many similarities between the two sides of the Atlantic, there are many differences and there's no judgement passed in noting differences. I have noticed many examples of these differences and they are simply that; while I may prefer one way over another simply indicates my preferences rather than judgement.

Jonathan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Random strangers in kilts at any event remotely Scottish or Celtic? No. Too many and I would never advance more than 10 feet all day.
    If they are wearing the same family tartan, Ross, Sinclair, Macbean... or are in reenactor garb? Possibly, as we would be related or have a common hobby.
    Random kilter on the street? Yes! My area has so few regular kilters. The only one I see somewhat regularly is a stocker at my local Walmart. Beyond that its just me.

3. The Following User Says 'Aye' to KnittedReenactor For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    With everyone throwing in their 2 cents, I thought I could get us to an even dollar.

Everyone seems to really like the "no true Scotsman fallacy".

Everyone has their own agency, and although everyone seems to be providing their own stories; some none the less, add "we". We don't, we do, and sometime to the broadest extent possible, as though some of the represented countries are all clones of one individual. This seems to be common in threads like this one; yet I don't recall anyone here having a citation to speak for or having been given the authority to represent ones said country.

This is not being said for any lone member, as many seem to add this chestnut depending on topic.

We've all seen, and read media from each others countries. So we all know that not all Scots, Americans, Canadians, or any of the other represented countries citizens are the same. I'm sure many of my tales could have folks thinking I might be American, if they judged based on stereotype.

All of us on are here for the love of Scotland National Dress. Let's remember that before the compulsive "we" and "you".

Keep it classy X Marks, and kilt on!

Frank
    Drink to the fame of it -- The Tartan!
    Murdoch Maclean

Louisville, Kentucky, USA (38° 13' 11"N x 85° 37' 32"W gets you close)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In response to the OP, there have been a couple of times I have had occasion to introduce myself to others wearing one of the Scott tartans, as I don't know many Scotts outside of my immediate family. Both were at Highland Games here in Kentucky, and I hadn't previously met the gentlemen through the Clan Scott tent/booth at the events before. I'm always on the lookout for potential kin here in the Commonwealth, as my paternal family line has drifted apart quite a bit.

As for others wearing the kilt at different events, I may give a nod or a thumbs up, especially since I'd probably be wearing the pipe band's kilt at one of those events. (I used to play the pipes with the band before some shoulder issues. I also play the bass drum and emcee for performances on occasion). I probably wouldn't seek them out just for wearing the kilt, though.
    John

6. The Following User Says 'Aye' to EagleJCS For This Useful Post:

Inverness-shire, Scotland & British Columbia, Canada
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Highland Logan View Post

All of us on are here for the love of Scotland National Dress. Let's remember that before the compulsive "we" and "you".

Keep it classy X Marks, and kilt on!

Frank
    Well done, all .

8. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to ThistleDown For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Intrepidkilter View Post
    Hello all, I’m new to the site and this forum. I’m learning it’s a bit of a lifestyle choice in the States. I welcome any suggestions on occasions I can show off my beloved kilt.
    Welcome. I wear my kilt when the notion strikes me. I am not the norm in my community but give that no thought. Thus, I find any day a good day for my kilt (equally so for a three piece suit). I choose the circumstance and check my mood. If the two mesh, then I don the wool. I don't take issue with any one approaching me wanting to discuss kilts. I would do the same but only because it is rare to see a kilt here in rural Mississippi (unless an event calls for that attire (like a Celtic festival). I expect here in the States, someone will eventually approach you and want to discuss your kilt.

10. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Tarheel For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Karl R View Post

Walk into a pub, city, country where you are the outsider. What are the safe topics of conversation? Odds are, the person you speak to likes their own clothes. Complimenting them on their attire (if it looks like they dressed up a little) is probably fairly safe. It will probably be well received.
    Brilliant, Karl. You put your finger right on the issue.

Clothes are safe "conversation starters" as we call them.

I work at Disneyland. I chat with people from all over the world every day. Nearly always the conversation starter is what they are wearing. The Australians often wear shirts from their local Aussie Rules or Rugby teams, or Australian hats. "Is that an Akubra Cattleman?" I might ask. (It was. I drink and I know things, that's what I do.)

Today my wife and I are attending a Craft Beer Festival. I won't be in kilts, but I will be wearing a Stetson Stratoliner, and chances are that I'll run into another hat guy, and we will talk hats. And I will run into a guy wearing a Liverpool shirt, and we will talk EPL. If I were wearing kilts we would talk kilts. It's merely being social.
    Last edited by OC Richard; 19th October 19 at 06:38 AM.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

12. The Following 5 Users say 'Aye' to OC Richard For This Useful Post:

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345