X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am going to throw this out there, Claret works well, yellow as well as any of the greens mentioned above would work as well. Personally I tend to go toward the less obvious choices these days, Purple with the Scottish Wildcat Tartan for example.

2. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to McMurdo For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Honestly the thing I've been complimented most on in years of wearing the kilt is the hose. Go for a nice rich colour like bottle green or burgundy, both would work nicely with your kilts. Good quality wool hose is worth the investment both for durability/longevity and looks IMO

4. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to tweedhead For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Karl R View Post
    Since I'm in the sweltering armpit of Texas (Houston), I typically go with cotton kilt hose ... which has the added benefit of being dirt cheap. $10 to $20 per pair. At those prices, I'll buy a pair of hose simply because it matches one of my shirts.

USA Kilts and Scottish Trading Co. both offer hunter/forest green cotton kilt hose. I think both of those would work well with your kilts. In general, however, it's easier to match to a minor color in your kilt, rather than one of the major colors. I think both tartans have a minor yellow line. So you could pick a pair of hose with a yellow hue (probably a mustard yellow) as an option. Or you could go with black kilt hose. It's neutral, so it would work with Cameron. And Kennedy has a black as a minor color.

However, I frequently choose my kilt hose based on the color of my jacket/waistcoat/shirt. What are you planning to wear on the top half?
    I'll second the cotton hose thought. I'm down in Clearwater, FLA and I went a bought a bunch of over-the-knee socks from sockdreams.com. About $10 a pop and, so far, they've lasted a year in light rotation. I just wanted to get a bunch of different colours for cheap just to mess with hose to kilt colour combinations on the cheap.

I've tried standard, wool hose but, man, it's a no go for me; maybe it's the humidity. It's not my feet that get hot but my calves. In fact, I can't do anything over the calves in anything over about 80 deg F. So, for me, scrunched down socks over 80-ish, cotton in the 70s-ish and heck to the yeah on wool below 70.

With that said, you can certainly tell the difference in quality. I have a couple of $20-ish wool hose from USAK that are nice and one pair of Reiver Kilt Hose in Wild Broom which are really nice (it's a shame it's not cool enough more often but I've got my eye on another pair in Autumn or maybe Merlot).

Oh, and I agree with the majority who recommend green.
    At a time like this one must ask themselves, 'WWJDD"
    What Would Jimmy Durante Do?

6. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Tobinn For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Katzbalger View Post
    I took up knitting because shipping here is insane, all the rules with AFIP are not US expat friendly.

Look, if I can knit, anyone can.

Plus alpaca wool here is dirt cheap, so all my hose are alpaca, except the ones I learned on - they are acrylic.
    So...this seems like it might merit another thread, but this interests me greatly. I've looked all over the place, and the only non-wool option I've found for diced hose are the nylon ones from J. Higgins:

https://www.jhiggins.net/hose-diced-...-machine-knit/

I love my alpaca winter socks. If you were to start a store of alpaca highland wear, I would think you could do quite well. Is it possible you could expand on your process a little bit or post a how-to guide for people like me who know nearly nothing about knitting?

8. The Following User Says 'Aye' to MichiganKyle For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lovat blue, it goes with EVERYTHING.

http://www.xmarksthescot.com/forum/f...lt-hose-71512/

10. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to AKScott For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am terrible at forums, I apologize

Quote Originally Posted by MichiganKyle View Post
    So...this seems like it might merit another thread, but this interests me greatly. I've looked all over the place, and the only non-wool option I've found for diced hose are the nylon ones from J. Higgins:

I love my alpaca winter socks. If you were to start a store of alpaca highland wear, I would think you could do quite well. Is it possible you could expand on your process a little bit or post a how-to guide for people like me who know nearly nothing about knitting?
    Knitting looks difficult, but it is easy. No matter how intimidating it looks, don't let it bother you.

I'll try to get the camera on my phone working proper and created a new thread - not real good at technology, but I will ask for help if over my head. I'll keep it kindergarten (I was a master electrician, I trained many an apprentice and I like things spelled out to me in the most basic of ways, I live by the acronym KISS).

12. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to Katzbalger For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Alpaca is AMAZING.

Quote Originally Posted by MichiganKyle View Post

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I started making my own socks to wear with boots about 50 years ago and have tried out most ways of making them - I even developed my own patterns and make them shaped for left and right feet - if anyone would like any information or to swap ideas I'd be happy to be involved - I have more than enough pairs of hosen to see me out and a few to spare.
    I presume to dictate to no man what he shall eat or drink or wherewithal he shall be clothed."
    -- The Hon. Stuart Ruaidri Erskine, The Kilt & How to Wear It, 1901.

15. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Pleater For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How to start?

Quote Originally Posted by Pleater View Post
    I started making my own socks to wear with boots about 50 years ago and have tried out most ways of making them - I even developed my own patterns and make them shaped for left and right feet - if anyone would like any information or to swap ideas I'd be happy to be involved - I have more than enough pairs of hosen to see me out and a few to spare.
    So if one was going to try this, how would one start?? I have seen that some folks actually have some kind of machine that makes socks, but apparently that is not necessary? What are the essential pieces of equipment needed?? How do you get the patterns to use the first time?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tuathanach View Post
    So if one was going to try this, how would one start?? I have seen that some folks actually have some kind of machine that makes socks, but apparently that is not necessary? What are the essential pieces of equipment needed?? How do you get the patterns to use the first time?
    I started by following a basic baby sock pattern using five double point needles and some scrap yarn. Took a bit of patience but after I got the hang of turning the heel, picking up stitches and how to reduce the gusset, it was pretty easy.

Then, I tried a free pattern and knit one that was way too small for my son. Reworked my pattern adjustments and you can see the results in this thread - http://www.xmarksthescot.com/forum/f...lt-hose-96105/

Currently I have knit a pair of hose for him and one for me as well as a pair of knee socks for both my daughter and wife. I think my next project is going to be a pair of yellow hose and then maybe try my hand at tartan hose.

My plan is to pick up the book Kilt Hose and Knickerbocker Stockings but I haven't yet.

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/0942018079/..._.5wsEbNXQF4NW

Shane

18. The Following User Says 'Aye' to gsmacleod For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast