X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I usually wear a black leather strap with formal wear, but recently ran across this and am intrigued:

https://www.scottishtradingcompany.c...oducts_id=4705

Also available in chrome finish.

Anyone have one of these? I’d be interested in a quality review.

Cheers,

SM
    Shaun Maxwell
    Vice President & Texas Commissioner
    Clan Maxwell Society

2. The Following 4 Users say 'Aye' to ShaunMaxwell For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ShaunMaxwell View Post
    I usually wear a black leather strap with formal wear, but recently ran across this and am intrigued:

Cheers,

SM
    I like those. Those were just about universal like what, 100 years ago? But you never see them anymore.

I’ll post later tonight a picture of the sporran chain that I made a couple months ago. My grandma had one of those chains that librarians hang their glasses from, but she never wore it. It originally belonged to my great grandmother I believe. I liked the look of it even before I got into kilt wearing so I took the chain and made it into a watch-chain for a Union Jack pocket watch I have. But I still had a couple feet of chain left so I replaced the standard curb chain on one of my sporran straps with this fancier chain. It’s perhaps a bit thin but I think it does a good job of standing out as fancier than a standard chain, if you look closely, but it’s not a garish as those massive chunky Saltire or Celtic knot chains you see lately.
    “The convents which the fathers had destroyed...the sons, rebuilt…”
    —Hereward the Wake, ‘Of the Fens’

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wear a plain black leather belt with my dress sporran:

With the Pipe Band, only, do I wear a chain strap:

I've been playing in Pipe Bands since the 1970s and It's been interesting to experience firsthand the changing fashion trends in the Pipe Band world over the decades.

The largest change in Pipe Band fashion over the last 20 years has been the ditching of jackets and nearly all bands competing in waistcoats.

This left the sporran strap suddenly exposed, and sure enough Pipe Bands didn't pass up the opportunity to add some extra bling to their kit!

So many/most top bands nowadays wear these ornate sporran chains:

To me they add shininess but take away elegance.

And yes Boghall wear huge cap badges on their kilts

About traditional sporran chains, I really like the older long-link style. Here are a couple chains I have, the upper one appears to be silver, and is probably 1900-1930. The lower one is modern, I think by Nicoll Brothers Bankfoot.

Last edited by OC Richard; 22nd October 19 at 07:27 PM.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

5. The Following 4 Users say 'Aye' to OC Richard For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just thinking about it, the Welsh dress Ysgrepan is a leather strap, not plaited but twisted out of a single strap.
    Dduw Bendithia pob Celtiaid

7. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Blaidd For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Suggested source?

Quote Originally Posted by Father Bill View Post
    ...which brings up the other thing to mention: If you do use a strap (and I often do) make sure it's good quality: no rough edges on either the leather or the buckle, high quality dye that won't come out on your kilt, and a really, really smooth back on the leather. Saving $5 on a strap to ruin an expensive kilt is foolish economics.
    Hi. Any suggestions for a source if a quality strap? Now I’m getting concerned about my cheap strap on my not cheap kilt. Thanks!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by williame View Post
    Hi. Any suggestions for a source if a quality strap? Now I’m getting concerned about my cheap strap on my not cheap kilt. Thanks!
    Most straps sold specifically as sporran straps from reputable Highland Regalia companies will be okay. I'm particularly pleased with the ones I have from L & M Highland in Nova Scotia, Canada https://www.landmhighland.com/ and McRostie of Glasgow https://www.mcrostie.co.uk/ are good examples of excellence and I have no hesitation in recommending them. Other fine straps can be obtained from many of our XMarks advertisers.
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster. Lover of God, dogs, most people, joy, tradition, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.

10. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Father Bill For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wear a vintage long-link chain for formal occasions, but wouldn’t hesitate to wear a quality leather strap in black, red, racing green, or even white. Highland regiments’ mess dress usually included a strap instead of a chain. McRostie and L&M are where I would start.

12. The Following User Says 'Aye' to davidlpope For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would not hesitate to wear a leather strap, however, I recently found a vintage sporran with a silver long link chain like OC Richard posted above mine is from the 1940's. From now on it will be used for formal wear. The chains that are generally a problem are cheap models, as others have said L&M and McRostie are reputable companies and won't go far wrong with them.

Here is the sporran and chain I am talking about though for formal wear I use the chain with my Horsehair sporran

Last edited by McMurdo; 12th December 19 at 05:13 AM.

14. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to McMurdo For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Honestly, to each their own. I do prefer to see a chain for evening wear, and wear a "old style" long link chain. I had one of those fancy evening chains, but found it never made it into the rotation once I got the long link. I also have a strap (black) and a dog chain style (chain from L&M); the latter of which hasn't been worn in years. I had Leathersmith Designs of Dartmouth NS, make the strap, and the leather strap portions of all my belts, and would recommend them to anyone looking to get belts made.

I do like the look of that Nicoll Brothers*chain. I may have to try and track that style down.

IMG_22h218.jpg

My thoughts on chains in evening dress; given it's the correct time and place are simple... keeping in the spirit of the National dress, a quote that those that "... deprive the garb of its ornaments or reduce it to the drab monotony of Anglo-Saxon evening clothes are un-Scottish and contemptible".

Like I said to each their own, but those are my thoughts.

Frank
    Drink to the fame of it -- The Tartan!
    Murdoch Maclean

16. The Following 4 Users say 'Aye' to Highland Logan For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ShaunMaxwell View Post

Cheers,

SM
    I just ordered one yesterday, in the antique finish, will update when it arrives.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast