X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cape Breton Gaelic in Scotland

An interesting article from the CBC on Scotland recruiting Gaelic teachers from Cape Breton

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-...hers-1.5175381

2. The Following 5 Users say 'Aye' to bodhran4me For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Canada is one of the places where Scotland's traditional identity is carefully preserved in many ways.
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster. Lover of God, dogs, most people, joy, tradition, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.

4. The Following 6 Users say 'Aye' to Father Bill For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have learned Gàidhlig alongside Canadian learners & been taught by Cape Breton islanders even in Scotland. My colleagues & myself try to talk about our friends over the water as much as possible in our adult learners' classes here in Perthshire as Scottish people seem very interested & it's always good to be mindful of Gaelic's status as a language spoken internationally

6. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to molach95 For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by molach95 View Post
    I have learned Gàidhlig alongside Canadian learners & been taught by Cape Breton islanders even in Scotland. My colleagues & myself try to talk about our friends over the water as much as possible in our adult learners' classes here in Perthshire as Scottish people seem very interested & it's always good to be mindful of Gaelic's status as a language spoken internationally

Was just listening to an short piece by Julie Fowlis where she compares the loss of the Gaelic (both Irish and Scots) to the quote (from Ray Bradbury?) 'You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them.' I have heard it said that many of the speakers in Cape Breton actively discouraged their own children from learning the Gaelic because it was seen as a sign of the poorer classes. It is good to see that feeling is being , in large part, reversed.

Here is a link to the video, if anyone is interested. It is entirely in Gàidhlig with English subtitles.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=19mPAueup9Y

molach95, I note you give your location as being Gleann Siidh in your profile. We spent an afternoon in Glen Isla a few years ago and it was truly a highlight of the trip. We did little else aside from tea at the Glen Isla Hotel and walk the area where my mum-in-law used to spend summers but could easily have stayed the whole trip...or longer! Google gives it as being 17 minutes distance so if Gleann Sidh were only half as bucolic, you are a lucky fellow indeed.

8. The Following User Says 'Aye' to bodhran4me For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bodhran4me View Post
    An interesting article from the CBC on Scotland recruiting Gaelic teachers from Cape Breton

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-...hers-1.5175381
    Thanks for posting! I've met some lovely Gaelic speakers from Scotland who now live in Cape Breton and teach. Because one of these people had spent extensive time in Gaoth Dobhair (Co. Donegal, Ireland), she could understand most of my Irish and I could get the gist of her Gaelic. I love it when that happens!