X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Freedom Kilts website Scotweb websiten Burnetts and Struth website The Scottish Trading Company
Xmarks advertising information Celtic Croft website Xmarks advertising information Celtic Corner website Xmarks advertising information

User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you like a particular tartan, ultimately there is not much stopping you from wearing it.

Just go for it.

Whilst my personal preference is to wear something I have a connection to I would not object in the slightest to anyone else wearing the same tartan for whatever reason - or even ask them about it, let alone challenge them on it.

I have 3 kilts in different variants of MacFarlane tartan, plus 2 ex-hire kilts I purchased mainly for when I am doing guided-tours in Scotland to avoid to avoid hard wear on my other kilts (one is a house tartan the other in Scottish Rugby tartan).

Next on my wish list is weathered Douglas. I have no obvious connection to the clan, although both sides of my family (at different times) came from Castle Douglas.

2. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Tomo For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tripleblessed View Post
    The meeting referenced was indeed in the time period cited, and I think 1825 is actually a few years late, though not many. The case was brought to the group by a member who clearly thought there would interest in it. It was carefully laid out in the meeting and duly recorded in the minutes. Having always been told there is/was very little to no law on these matters, I read it carefully. I did not make notes...
    As with all historical matters, one needs to see the primary source.

I'm especially scrutinous due to being very interested in History and also being a piper.

Like all other pipers I had read and heard the same stories about the origin of the Highland pipes (and bagpipes in general).

When I began applying the approach of a Historian to the origin of the bagpipe I found that none of the origin-stories about bagpipes had any supporting evidence.

It was a matter of stories being repeated so often, and by so many people in important positions, that they had become to be regarded as facts.

Highland Dress and Tartan have likewise built around them mythologies. Before I accept any story about these topics as factual I require supporting evidence.

So it is with your story. The story as presented doesn't match up well with the known timeline of the development of Clan tartans. Until I see the original source document I will consider it a story.
    Last edited by OC Richard; 7th November 19 at 07:05 AM.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123