X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Suggestions Please: A Kilt, ASD, Sensory Issues/Input

Hi
    I’m seeking some suggestions from the Rabble.
    If you, family or friends are on the spectrum I’d love some feedback, hits or tips for kilt wear

I’m working with a young teenage man with ASD, we’re pottering along nicely but he has moderate to high clothing sensitivity issues and the behaviours caused by that are not the most socially acceptable.

He loathes anything tight or restrictive around the groin to ankle area. Thus loose elastic waist track pants are worn at half mast aka plumbers crack. I remove his underwear when we’re working together and I’ve got him some long line hipster Tee Shirts that cover the buttocks... but still those hands wander ... a lot!
    I’m not sure about the waist area as so far he’s never worn anything up that high and pulling his pants higher up to his hips just results in them being pulled down and down

So with the warm weather arriving down under I thought I’d try making a kilt for him.
    Wool isn’t an option so I’ll use my preferred stretch drill that I’ll pre wash multiple times to soften it. Hopefully the liner in a very soft cotton will help (I’ll leave out the hair canvas)

So I’m looking for suggestions and adaptions in the design to help stop/prevent the wandering hands?
    Maybe 3- 4 buckles + Velcro? Sew down the under apron on the inside?
    I’m going to try him with US style cotton boxers underneath that he can wear at half mast under the kilt (fingers crossed) they aren’t generally worn in Australia other than as sleepwear so I don’t think he has tried them before.

Any suggestions, comments, stories, experiences welcomed.

2. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Lady Grey For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If I understand the problem....

If wandering hands are an issue won't he just lift the kilt?

Are braces to hold the kilt up high without being to tight around the waist/hips an option?

How about pairing velcro bands around the waist area of kilt and shirt to join the two pieces to prevent the hands from dipping down?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Im hoping not as “if” the kilt is approx waist level he won’t have easy access in that area

With ASD habit and repetitive patterns rule. Going under/lifting is a very different action (one he’s never done) he’s used to going in and down.
    I had also thought of the braces attached to pants but it would lift the crotch area higher which would lead to a melt down (sensory) but yes I shall try braces on the kilt if needed.

I’m not sure how tucking in shirts and tee Shirts will go... I shall certainly try it and if he can cope I’ll try buttons or Velcro but I also have to take weather into account as it’s starting to get hot down here and All that fabric against the waist isn’t comfortable.
    Even I wear loose tops with cotton casual kilts in summer.

Thanks for the feedback

5. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Lady Grey For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bodhran4me View Post
    Are braces to hold the kilt up high without being to tight around the waist/hips an option?
    This was my thought. If he doesn't like anything close about his waist, I imagine something confining all the way to his ribcage might not go over well... it's not my favorite feeling in the world, and I'm not on the spectrum. So, I'm thinking he'd need it to be looser and something else to hold it up?
    Here's tae us - / Wha's like us - / Damn few - / And they're a' deid - /
    Mair's the pity!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ASD Social Anxiety.

I think with someone on the spectrum difficulty in social anxiety might be a concern for wearing something that usually brings a lot of extra attention. Depending on whose around him he might get a bit of ridicule. That would be my #1 concern.

As far as the the kilt lifting and unwanted exposure, the clinch point on the kilt where you are most *aware* of it while you are wearing it is the high waist straps that hold it on. Lifting the kilt does 0 to alleviate that. However the inability to do most anything about that might frustrate your young man. UT Kilt has a "ultimate utility kilt" that has an elastic waist. I have one for working around the house and that mod does make the waist more comfortable and less confining. There is some personal rubbing the apron of a kilt can do when you are moving around. That would be a risk for kilt raising. Having a very soft to the touch liner would be a mitigation to any discomfort for that rubbing and any desire to lift the kilt to alleviate it.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mike
    Thank you the elastic waist is a great suggestion.
    No real social anxiety -I took him out on Monday night to karaoke and he was great- he just doesn’t have an interest in interacting with other people but he’s really happy to be part of a crowd.
    It’s clothing sensitivity that is his bug-bear
    With the elastic waist I could sew the inner and outer aprons to fell level on the front and that may help with gaping?
    Planning continues

9. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Lady Grey For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't have any other suggestions, but I just want to say that you are THE BEST for helping this young man out with such care and sensitivity. My hat is off to you.
    Kiltmaker, piper, and geologist (one of the few, the proud, with brains for rocks....
    Member, Scottish Tartans Authority
    Geology stuff (mostly) at http://people.hamilton.edu/btewksbu
    The Art of Kiltmaking at http://theartofkiltmaking.com

11. The Following 4 Users say 'Aye' to Barb T For This Useful Post: