X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's Question of Pleats

Have a new kilt on order with the Davidson of Tulloch Ancient. In trying to decide whether to pleat to stripe or go with the sett I put together some options with a Paint program. Please take a look and give me some opinions on Door #1, #2 #3 or sett. Thanks much. Fabric won't be done till December so have some time to mull the matter over. Hope attachments show up okay. Still new at this techy stuff.

TAB

White Stripe Davidson.jpg

Red Stripe Davidson.jpg

Red and White Stripe Davidson.jpg

Sett

Davidson of Tulloch Ancient.jpg
    Last edited by TAB; 24th October 19 at 07:42 PM. Reason: Original Error

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    no piccies yet......

If you want a better representation ask the kiltmaker to pin up a few options and send you pics. Most would be willing to do so. Also they may have good suggestions, having done this before.

3. The Following User Says 'Aye' to bodhran4me For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TAB View Post
    Have a new kilt on order with the Davidson of Tulloch Ancient. In trying to decide whether to pleat to stripe or go with the sett I put together some options with a Paint program. Please take a look and give me some opinions on Door #1, #2 #3 or sett...
    I’m curious why you have chosen to place the vertical stripes close to the edge of the pleat; apparently, it is traditional to place the line in the centre of the (visible, revealed part of the) pleat. Also, the pleat tapers by a factor of the waist/hip ratio (as adjusted for ‘splits’) and there is a risk that the line will disappear over the edge if it is too close.
    Last edited by Nemuragh; 26th October 19 at 01:26 AM.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pleat to the sett or to the white stripe.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Were it me, I'd pleat to the red stripe. Second choice would be pleated to the white stripe. But taking advantage of the red and letting it come out a little more visibly in the pleated section is what I, personally, think looks best. It's what I'm having done on my next kilt in Colquhoun tartan, which has a similar lone red stripe. My other Colquhoun kilts are pleated differently, and I've always wanted more of that red to stand out.

7. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Tobus For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If I were ordering a kilt in that tartan, I'd pleat to the white stripe as a first choice. Pleating to the sett would be my second choice.
    Trying to look good on a budget.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd go with option 2 or similar.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the military would without hesitation pleat to the white line- nearly all military kilts are pleated to the point in the tartan that stands out the most. Or, such as with Black Watch where nothing stands out much, pleated to a narrow line surrounded by decent-sized stripes.

The alternating between light-coloured lines, such as alternating between the yellow and red lines in military Hunting Stewart kilts- is done from necessity, due to the huge sett size and non-repeating nature of that particular tartan.

Personally I prefer the look of pleating to the stripe with most tartans, the exception being tartans that are severely weakened by not having all the colours in their normal proportions visible.

If that were my kilt I would go with the white line as the first choice, the red line as the second choice. The former accentuates the vertical, the latter the horizontal. My rear end is wide enough already without having the horizontal accentuated!

IMHO that tartan isn't a candidate for pleating to the sett.
    Last edited by OC Richard; 27th October 19 at 05:54 AM.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If the cloth is from Lochcarron, the shades will be the same as my Robertson Ancient Hunting. If not, pretty similar anyway. Mine is pleated to the red line, yours won’t look too dissimilar to this:

Last edited by StevieR; 27th October 19 at 01:12 PM. Reason: Rubbish grammar!
    Steve.

"We, the kilted ones, are ahead of the curve" -
    Bren.

12. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to StevieR For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I vote for number 2.

Holcombe

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast