X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tobus have you ever considered ankle puttees?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	G0571874.JPG 
Views:	214 
Size:	213.5 KB 
ID:	37733

Name:	G0571843.JPG 
Views:	21 
Size:	215.0 KB 
ID:	37734
    lol in retrospect I should have shown them with different coloured hose.

This is a vintage pair of Australian surplus that I've been using for work for several years so the edges are rolled, they've got a few holes, they've stretched at different rates so one is narrower as you can see here:

Name:	G0571837.JPG 
Views:	28 
Size:	212.0 KB 
ID:	37735

But a new reproduction pair would be thicker material, not as stretchy, and thus much more neat and tidy. They take more time to put on than spats, but I've been wearing puttees for the last two years and now find them indispensable at work. I haven't worn them with the kilt, just wondered if you'd thought of them before as a substitute for spats. They're eminently functional, keeping debris out of the boots and supporting the ankles (and keep ticks out when I wrap them over where my pants are tucked into my boots at work).

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The pictures of spats on show were admittedly taken well before I was born(1940). Nevertheless, I have seen more than a few spats being worn out on the hill in the past, often by the elder members of my family, so products of the Victorian era. I vividly recall on occasion, wrestling with the button hook that was used to do up the buttons when the less agile were not able to fasten the buttons themselves. A snug fit was required for the spats to be effective, so doing up the buttons by hand and without a button hook usually meant a loose fit and mud, grit, heather seeds and stalks would make their uncumfortable presence felt during the day. However, I do not ever remember matching tweed, to the owners suits, or even tweed at all used for spats. Materials of soft leather suede, canvas, or some sort of moleskin are what I can remember.
    Last edited by Jock Scot; 3rd November 19 at 12:52 PM.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

3. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tweedhead View Post
    Tobus have you ever considered ankle puttees?
    Well, it's funny that you mention that. I recently acquired some reproduction short (ankle) puttees from WPG, and happened to be wearing them today.

Here they are with my just-polished ammo boots.

Puttees are great for keeping debris out of one's boots, although they do little to protect the lacing area like spats do. And of course, spats tend to be a more dressy item whilst puttees are more "field wear".

5. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Tobus For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jock Scot View Post
    The pictures of spats on show were admittedly taken well before I was born(1940). Nevertheless, I have seen more than a few spats being worn out on the hill in the past, often by the elder members of my family, so products of the Victorian era. I vividly recall on occasion, wrestling with the button hook that was used to do up the buttons when the less agile were not able to fasten the buttons themselves. A snug fit was required for the spats to be effective, so doing up the buttons by hand and without a button hook usually meant a loose fit and mud, grit, heather seeds and stalks would make their uncumfortable presence felt during the day. However, I do not ever remember matching tweed, to the owners suits, or even tweed at all used for spats. Materials of soft leather suede, canvas, or some sort of moleskin are what I can remember.
    Right, Jock, all the vintage spats I've come across (including the ones I wear) are made of a sturdier and/or close-weave material. The ones I wear (shown below) are felted wool. That's why I was somewhat surprised when I realised the fellow in the photo was wearing spats that appear to be the same material as his kilt. I would have thought it would be too loose of a weave to work well as a functional spat. Of course, he could have just worn them for fashion.

And yes, buttoning up spats is a chore! I'm still somewhat young (at 45 years old) and spry, but even I have to bend into an unnatural position to button them up. By the time I'm done - and I do use an antique button hook - I'm out of breath. The outside of one's foot is not easy to work on with both hands!

That said, I do love spats. I'm still trying to find some taller ones that are not white piper's spats. Antique (Victorian) spats are somewhat rare to find these days, and when found they are invariably ladies' spats. I would even try those, but they're tiny.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tobus View Post
    Right, Jock, all the vintage spats I've come across (including the ones I wear) are made of a sturdier and/or close-weave material. The ones I wear (shown below) are felted wool. That's why I was somewhat surprised when I realised the fellow in the photo was wearing spats that appear to be the same material as his kilt. I would have thought it would be too loose of a weave to work well as a functional spat. Of course, he could have just worn them for fashion.

And yes, buttoning up spats is a chore! I'm still somewhat young (at 45 years old) and spry, but even I have to bend into an unnatural position to button them up. By the time I'm done - and I do use an antique button hook - I'm out of breath. The outside of one's foot is not easy to work on with both hands!

That said, I do love spats. I'm still trying to find some taller ones that are not white piper's spats. Antique (Victorian) spats are somewhat rare to find these days, and when found they are invariably ladies' spats. I would even try those, but they're tiny.
    Doesn’t WPG have repro military spats? Similar style to the white ones but khaki.
    Descendant of the Gillises and MacDonalds of North Morar.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They may have at one time, but I don't see them listed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They may have at one time, but I don't see them listed.
    I see these but they only have size medium at the moment.

http://onlinemilitaria.net/shopdispl...&searchfields=

10. The Following User Says 'Aye' to FossilHunter For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FossilHunter View Post
    I see these but they only have size medium at the moment.

http://onlinemilitaria.net/shopdispl...&searchfields=
    Thanks, I'm not sure how I missed those. I wonder what the quality level is like on them. I'm not thrilled about the velcro closure or elastic strap, and prefer real button closure with a buckle strap. I'm also wondering what the fit would be like, as they don't appear to have any taper to the leg. Still, it might be worth buying a pair just to see. The mediums might be a little large for me if they fit up to size 9 shoe, where I wear a 7. Hmm.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, I'm not sure how I missed those. I wonder what the quality level is like on them. I'm not thrilled about the velcro closure or elastic strap, and prefer real button closure with a buckle strap. I'm also wondering what the fit would be like, as they don't appear to have any taper to the leg. Still, it might be worth buying a pair just to see. The mediums might be a little large for me if they fit up to size 9 shoe, where I wear a 7. Hmm.
    They do sound cheaply made.

You could always look for original WWI military spats but they probably won’t be cheap surplus since spats and brogues we’re phased out early in the war for standard British army boots and puttees since they were found to be unsuitable for the mud and freezing temperatures of the Western front.

Any original khaki spats would probably be collectibles.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    wellllll...

here's a link to a vendor selling tweed spats: https://www.historicalemporium.com/store/006877.php

I can't (read as "won't") speak to the quality of goods from the vendor, but don't expect a high bar with these guys.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast