X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bad Monkey View Post
    wellllll...

here's a link to a vendor selling tweed spats: https://www.historicalemporium.com/store/006877.php

I can't (read as "won't") speak to the quality of goods from the vendor, but don't expect a high bar with these guys.
    Just for the record, I wasn't interested in a pair of tweed spats; I just thought it was interesting to note that it had been done. I don't think tweed is a suitable material for this purpose, and to be honest I think the matchy-matchy nature of it looks a bit overdone.

Those spats in the link you provided look mighty strange to my eye. The shape is not ideal, and would not go well with a kilt IMHO. I've seen a lot of vendors selling similarly-shaped spats, as if they just slapped something together that sort-of covers the ankle area and called it good. But they remind me of horse boots like I put on my unshod horses for trail riding on rocky terrain. They make the wearer's feet look like hooves.

(photo of horse boots from ValleyVet)

2. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Tobus For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tweedhead View Post
    Tobus have you ever considered ankle puttees?
    By the way, tweedhead, may I ask who made those boots? I rather like the look of them.

4. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Tobus For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As a few members have noted, tweed might not be the most effective material for spats. However, it occurs to me that the tweed might be a decorative outer layer applied to a more utilitarian lining. I've seen similar construction on items like "madras" belts, which had the plaid cotton on the outside and a leather or canvas backing to do the actual work of holding up one's trousers.

I have always loved the look of spats, but don't own any currently. I've also wondered about how it would feel to wear the old high-top, button shoes that were so popular during the Victorian-Edwardian era. I have occasionally seen them in the windows of custom shoe makers in Shanghai. They are often displayed with the upper part of the shoe made in a contrasting color material, creating a built-in spat effect.

Andrew

6. The Following User Says 'Aye' to kingandrew For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Maple Leaf Tartan?

Tobus have you ever considered ankle puttees?
    Attachment 37733
    Attachment 37734
    lol in retrospect I should have shown them with different coloured hose.

This is a vintage pair of Australian surplus that I've been using for work for several years so the edges are rolled, they've got a few holes, they've stretched at different rates so one is narrower as you can see here:
    Attachment 37735

But a new reproduction pair would be thicker material, not as stretchy, and thus much more neat and tidy. They take more time to put on than spats, but I've been wearing puttees for the last two years and now find them indispensable at work. I haven't worn them with the kilt, just wondered if you'd thought of them before as a substitute for spats. They're eminently functional, keeping debris out of the boots and supporting the ankles (and keep ticks out when I wrap them over where my pants are tucked into my boots at work).
    Pardon my changing the subject briefly, but is your kilt in the Maple Leaf tartan?

Thanks much

Jacques
    "I know of no inspiration to be got from trousers."
    Lt. Col. Norman MacLeod, QOCH, c. 1924

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tobus View Post
    By the way, tweedhead, may I ask who made those boots? I rather like the look of them.
    Those are Viberg service boots. It's a family-owned company that makes heavy-duty logging boots out in British Columbia but also has a fashion range, the service boot design is based on a 1931 work boot by the company founder. Very pricey but extremely high quality and I'm happy to pay a premium for goods actually made in Canada, plus this pair is going to last me decades. I got em three or four years ago after how happy I was with their work boots.

9. The Following User Says 'Aye' to tweedhead For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacques View Post
    Pardon my changing the subject briefly, but is your kilt in the Maple Leaf tartan?

Thanks much

Jacques
    Yes it is, one of my favourite tartans

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes it is, one of my favourite tartans
    i've only seen the Maple Leaf tartan a few times online and thought it looked "busy". Perhaps it's the lighting in your photo, or your choice of hose which tames the bright colours, but on closer examination i find it a very appealing tartan. Thanks for sharing.

Jacques
    "I know of no inspiration to be got from trousers."
    Lt. Col. Norman MacLeod, QOCH, c. 1924

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123