X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Where to purchase a kilt in North Carolina

Hello,
    My son and I are looking for a place to purchase our first kilts. We live south of Raleigh so we are pretty much in the center of the state. I would prefer a brick and mortar location verses on line. Our family history is Norman (old norman tartan) then into England for a few centuries then into the US. Thanks!

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Scottish Tartan Museum in Franklin NC

https://www.scottishtartansmuseum.org

3. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to McMurdo For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There's Wanda McSwain in Columbus.

She did a kilt for me that's very nice. She knows traditional kiltmaking including military box pleats. Her price was very reasonable.

PM me for her contact information, I don't think she advertises or has a website or anything.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

5. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to OC Richard For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is (was) a store in Asheville which sold kilts. I only saw/heard not go good reviews about the shop and owner, no personal experience with this store. FWIW. Celtic Way 14 Wall St, Asheville, NC 28801-2710
    *** 828-254-0644.

There are weavers who do tartan. Other than Matt Newsome I don't know anyone in North Carolina who crafts kilts, but of course nowadays even that is problematic. The Tartan Mueseum will indeed get you a kilt, just like all the other kiltmakers who advertise on X-Marks. They need the measurements you provide. Then " Each of our kilts is made to order by highly skilled professional kilt makers in Scotland and in the US." So you don't get to sit down or talk with the person who will actually make your kilt. But this is OK. All kiltmakers want measurements. Sure, it is nice to have the maker take those measurements, but you can do it yourself.

You are invited to come to either the Charleston SC Highland Games Nov. 2nd. or the Swamp Fox Games outside Florence SC Nov. 16th. Stop by at our information booth and we can talk about these things.
    Insperata Floruit! - Flourished Unexpectedly!

KABOOM; Kilted Christians; Kilted In Carolina; Matt Newsome Kilt Owners Group; R Kilts are Awesome; SEKS - The Great Southeastern Kilt Society; The Order of the Dandelion

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A bit of a drive.

It is a bit of a drive, but I have been completely satisfied with Rocky art USA Kilts. I live in New Bern NC and it takes about 8 hours to drive to Spring City. It is worth the drive.

Michael WQishon

8. The Following User Says 'Aye' to sergeantmike For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would live to stop by but I am enjoying Afghanistan for a few more months ha ha.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom A Norman by Birth View Post
    I would live to stop by but I am enjoying Afghanistan for a few more months ha ha.
    You may be serving with my nephew (a tanker presently in sand land) from Sophia, NC. That point aside, I hope you find a kilt worthy of you and your heritage.

11. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Tarheel For This Useful Post: