X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What to do

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What to do

Hi Everyone, been a while retirement can be busy, lets get down to the nitty gritty, my question is mainly aimed at the
    masons on this forum I was approached by a member of my lodge at a recent installation saying he was going to propose
    that when I go in the chair next year that I wear my kilt, now the problem is how to wear the sporran with apron, do I not wear it or spin it to one side.
    Dirk95
    Derek

2. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Dirk95 For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wear mine under my apron, but I put most of the 'stuff' in various pockets of my jacket & vest, such that the sporran is pretty flat. I've seen some swing it sideways, but I don't care much for the look. If you choose that, a strap is much easier to deal with than a chain.

Cheers, my brother!
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster. Lover of God, dogs, most people, joy, tradition, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.

4. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Father Bill For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

what to do

Hi Father Bill thank you for the reply, I was thinking of taking it with me then remove it when in the lodge then putting it on after at the festive board.

Dirk95
    Derek

6. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Dirk95 For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The other possibility is, if you have a bit of a belly, is wear the apron high and the sporran low.
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster. Lover of God, dogs, most people, joy, tradition, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not a Mason myself, but in the military when aprons were worn with kilts, no sporrans were worn.

In civilian pipe bands the drummers usually wear the sporran at their side.

Whatever is comfortable and practical.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm afraid I can't answer as a Mason, but if it's any help I have never felt any awkwardness about spinning my sporran to one side or the other. It's something I do for all sorts of activities and certainly at least once every time I wear my kilt - which is most days. As I never thread my sporran's belt or chain through my kilt's belt loops I'm able to move my sporran quickly and easily. Having said that, I wouldn't feel any awkwardness about removing my sporran if it was getting in the way of what I needed to be doing.

I guess if I were in your shoes I'd try out both spinning to the side and going sans-sporran to find out which is more comfortable.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I tried wearing the apron over the sporran but it didn't look right. I move the sporran to the right side. That looks less wrong. I won't say it looks right either, though.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I say this with the greatest of respect.If the apron does not look right with the sporran, etc., then why wear the kilt? Surely a suit might be a better option? Sorry, but there are times when what we might want wear is just not suitable. To this non Mason the solution is obvious.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jock, that doesn’t work very well in Scottish Lodges where the kilt is the expected dress form for officers.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Father Bill View Post
    Jock, that doesn’t work very well in Scottish Lodges where the kilt is the expected dress form for officers.
    Thank you Bill, I did not know that. Nevertheless the thought does occur that the Scots Masons must have the same problems with the sporran and apron ? So you all have an answer from a Scottish Mason's perspective. Personally, I prefer to see the kilt and its attire worn properly and not "adjusted" to suit other institutions needs. Each to their own.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

14. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast