X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Or throw em over your shoulder 😁

2. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Me cousin Jack For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Me cousin Jack View Post
    Or throw em over your shoulder 😁
    Cousin Jack, do you mean, like a continental soldier?

4. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to plaid preacher For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I do shudder a bit when the topic of Pakistani or Indian bonnets comes up, because I see things like this all the time

but the GlengarryHats bonnets aren't like that, and the ones I've seen have looked quite passable.

A cool thing about GlengarryHats is that they offer/offered bonnets in a number of unusual colour-combinations that I haven't seen any Scottish maker produce.

I want to get a Balmoral in these colours, combining Navy Blue and Royal Blue.

About the ribbons in the back of a Balmoral, here are my two Mackie hats from the 1980s that I still wear regularly. On my Balmoral I cheated: I removed the ribbon, tied it into a neat bow, and sewed it back on. (This photo was taken to show the different Clan cap badges made especially for each type of hat.)

Last edited by OC Richard; 18th January 20 at 07:17 AM.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

6. The Following User Says 'Aye' to OC Richard For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Agreed on the quality.

Re: the ribbons, I did that with my last one. I'm thinking of leaving them for now just for a change.
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster. Lover of God, dogs, most people, joy, tradition, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.

From Michigan, USA. Currently in Lancashire, UK
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Father Bill View Post
    I'm thinking of leaving them for now just for a change.
    Mine are generally tied, but I got the last one with loose ribbons for a change as well.

From Michigan, USA. Currently in Lancashire, UK
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OC Richard View Post
    A cool thing about GlengarryHats is that they offer/offered bonnets in a number of unusual colour-combinations that I haven't seen any Scottish maker produce.

I want to get a Balmoral in these colours, combining Navy Blue and Royal Blue.

Robert Mackie will make bonnets like this. I deal with them regularly and have asked them to make unusual combinations of colors with no issues.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by plaid preacher View Post
    Cousin Jack, do you mean, like a continental soldier?
    i did indeed.
    Last edited by Me cousin Jack; 18th January 20 at 09:16 AM.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Arnot View Post
    Robert Mackie will make bonnets like this. I deal with them regularly and have asked them to make unusual combinations of colors with no issues.
    Good to know! I hadn't seen a Mackie in those colours, while I did see that very hat offered on GlengarryHats (but I don't see it on their site any more).

Last edited by OC Richard; 22nd January 20 at 06:06 AM.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Macman View Post
    Bill, are you thinking of Ian Parenteau at https://www.glengarryhats.com/? He is in Canada. I've bought a few things from him, and I'd say his balmorals are maybe not 9/10ths of Robert Mackie, but still really good value.
    I know I am very late to this party, but I've been occupied with other pursuitss for some time. LOL

However, I did think I should say that the balmoral I purchased from Glengarry Hats several years ago was short on material. By that, I mean it didn't have enough cloth to flop over the top the way my Scottish made bonnets do. I mentioned this on Xmarks several years ago, and another person (con't remember who) said that he has noticed the same thing.

Look at the difference between a Foreign Legion beret (https://www.ebay.com/itm/312598170371)

and a French Basque beret to see what I mean. (https://www.laulhere-france.com/en/for-him.html).

I won't even mention those God-awful things the U.S. Army wears. They look like flower sacks.

I can't fault the quality of the sewing or the material on the bonnet, just the shortage of material. The bonnet ended up looking more like a beret than a bonnet, so I never wore it much. The glengarry I purchased, however, was fine. And BTW, their website says they are from Malta, not Canada if that makes a difference. I suspect their products are made in Pakistan, but I can't tell from the site.

Personally, I would go with Mackie. You can't beat their bonnets, and I can guarantee it will be top notch.
    Last edited by thescot; 22nd January 20 at 10:18 AM.
    Jim Killman
    Writer, Philosopher, Teacher of English and Math, Soldier of Fortune, Bon Vivant, Heart Transplant Recipient, Knight of St. Andrew (among other knighthoods)
    Freedom is not free, but the US Marine Corps will pay most of your share.

13. The Following User Says 'Aye' to thescot For This Useful Post:

Victoria, British Columbia, Canada (OCONCAN)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thescot View Post
    I can't fault the quality of the sewing or the material on the bonnet, just the shortage of material. The bonnet ended up looking more like a beret than a bonnet, so I never wore it much. The glengarry I purchased, however, was fine. And BTW, their website says they are from Malta, not Canada if that makes a difference. I suspect their products are made in Pakistan, but I can't tell from the site.
    That is interesting! Maybe Ian has sold the business?
    "Touch not the cat bot a glove."

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast