X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Arnot View Post
    Mine are generally tied, but I got the last one with loose ribbons for a change as well.
    I only wear my balmorals with the ribbons tied, even though they come with long, untied ribbons that are sewed together about three inches down from the sweat band. I pick the stitches loose, then carefully tie a bow at the back, tightening it to about 2-3 inches between the ends of the loops. (I use the same knot I use when tying a bow tie around my neck.) Then I cut the excess off, the loose ends that are longer than the end of the loops.

THEN I PUT A STITCH THROUGH THE KNOT SO THE THING STAYS THAT WAY FOR GENERATIONS TO COME. It is my understanding that the ribbon was originally threaded through the sweat band and used to fit the bonnet to the head of the wearer by tightening it up and than tying it, but that's for another discussion about the history of bonnets and such. Anyway, I came up seeing a bow at the back, and that's how I wear mine.

On a glengarry, I leave the ribbons dangling, or course. That's the way it is supposed to be worn. and besides, it just looks kind of sassy with the ribbons on a glengarry flapping in the breeze or hanging over one's shoulder. Not so much with a bonnet.

I own four glengarrys and four or five bonnets, all a bit different in color, etc., but I tend to wear only the navy or green balmoral or the khaki glengarry. The glens are solid black, black with red/white dicing, and a green that was from one of the old regiments.

Oh,yes, I own a Blackwatch balmoral and a tam, but I don't wear them. I think it would look a bit silly to anyone in the know since I was never in that unit.

I didn't mention the green military-style tams that I like and do wear occasionally in cold weather, but that's another tale, too.
    Jim Killman
    Writer, Philosopher, Teacher of English and Math, Soldier of Fortune, Bon Vivant, Heart Transplant Recipient, Knight of St. Andrew (among other knighthoods)
    Freedom is not free, but the US Marine Corps will pay most of your share.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Macman View Post
    That is interesting! Maybe Ian has sold the business?
    Perhaps I misquoted--or miswrote. The site says:

GlengarryHats.com is an internet only retailer shipping worldwide, owned and operated by King Industries of Malta. We have been proudly serving civilian, police, fire, EMS, and military bands throughout Canada, the United States, and around the world since 2005.
    E-mail: zafar@glengarryhats.com

Zafar ≠ Ian

I have no special knowledge of the site beyond that. It appears to me that all the pictures are the same as they have been for years.
    Jim Killman
    Writer, Philosopher, Teacher of English and Math, Soldier of Fortune, Bon Vivant, Heart Transplant Recipient, Knight of St. Andrew (among other knighthoods)
    Freedom is not free, but the US Marine Corps will pay most of your share.

3. The Following User Says 'Aye' to thescot For This Useful Post:

From Michigan, USA. Currently in Lancashire, UK
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thescot View Post
    I only wear my balmorals with the ribbons tied, even though they come with long, untied ribbons that are sewed together about three inches down from the sweat band. I pick the stitches loose, then carefully tie a bow at the back, tightening it to about 2-3 inches between the ends of the loops. (I use the same knot I use when tying a bow tie around my neck.) Then I cut the excess off, the loose ends that are longer than the end of the loops.

THEN I PUT A STITCH THROUGH THE KNOT SO THE THING STAYS THAT WAY FOR GENERATIONS TO COME. It is my understanding that the ribbon was originally threaded through the sweat band and used to fit the bonnet to the head of the wearer by tightening it up and than tying it, but that's for another discussion about the history of bonnets and such. Anyway, I came up seeing a bow at the back, and that's how I wear mine.
    I only have one with loose ribbons. The rest have tied bows. I know about picking the stitches and tying the bow, but I just ordered them with a bow in the first place. I just adjust the bow if needed and put the stitch in to hold it in place.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456