X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Distant Scottish Connections - how to honour it?

Hello,
    I am quite green in this respect but I could use some honest opinions.
    I was raised French- Canadian, but have been tracing my geneology lately and have found some Scottish roots that I would like to honour in some way.
    However given the connections, I'm not sure what is appropriate, if at all.
    I am also female (thought I'd mention as my name is unisex)

To be brief, here are my connections:

Father's side:
    - Father's mother was a Joseph, but this name was changed from Keiller to Joseph when my GGGG grandfather moved from Alcobaca, Liera, Portugal to Paspebiac, Gaspe, Quebec
    * We believe his father James Keiller and mother Maria Jesu lived in Portugal but that James originally came from the UK (some say Middlesex England but no proof)
    - GGGG grandmother who was a Scott, born in New Carlisle, Bonaventure Quebec- parents from Newcastletown, Roxburgh, Scotland

Mother's side:
    - GGG grandmother who was a Marshall, she was born in Parry Sound, Ontario - parents from Dunbartonshire or Glasgow area, Scotland
    - GGGG grandmother who was a Campbell, born in Ontario (they had been in Massachussets for a few generations)- family traced back to Argyll, Scotland

Thanks for the advice in advance,
    Jamie.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JamieN View Post
    I was raised French- Canadian, but have been tracing my geneology lately and have found some Scottish roots that I would like to honour in some way.
    However given the connections, I'm not sure what is appropriate, if at all.
    I am also female (thought I'd mention as my name is unisex)
    As a female, you could get a kilted skirt, mini kilt, shawl, and/or sash in tartan. You could also get a kilt. However, since kilts are more often worn by men, you would want to specify that you're female when ordering. (I've heard kiltmakers say the construction is different to accommodate the different body shape.)

Based on your background, I'm aware of the following tartans that you could choose from: Scott, Marshall, Campbell, Roxburgh, Ontario, Glasgow, and Argyll. There are probably several color variations for many of them. If you feel that one of those choices better expresses your roots than the others, then you might want to choose that tartan.

Women's garments generally use lighter weight wool, so you'll want to see which of the above tartans comes in a sufficiently light weight. (This may also vary with the type of garment.) If you plan to wear multiple tartan items at the same time, it's recommended that you order them at the same time, so they'll all be cut from the same bolt of cloth. Otherwise, there may be minor color variations.

As another option, you could also choose a "universal" or "fashion" tartan (for example, Black Watch, or Spirit of Scotland). There are hundreds of those to choose from.
    Trying to look good on a budget.

3. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Karl R For This Useful Post:

Victoria, BC Canada 48° 25' 47.31"N 123° 20' 4.59" W
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another way to look at this is to remember that wearing Tartan tells the world - "This is who I am and how I got where I am today".

To that end you are Canadian of Scottish ancestry. So you could also choose to wear the Official Tartan of Canada. The Canadian Maple Leaf.

Or the Ontario Provincial Tartan.

Any yes, ladies usually do not want to wear a kilt because it is simply a heavy, imposing garment. So ladies usually choose to have something made from Tartan of a lighter weight and without all the internal interfacing.
    Steve Ashton
    Forum Owner

5. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Steve Ashton For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Ashton View Post
    Another way to look at this is to remember that wearing Tartan tells the world - "This is who I am and how I got where I am today".

To that end you are Canadian of Scottish ancestry. So you could also choose to wear the Official Tartan of Canada. The Canadian Maple Leaf.

Or the Ontario Provincial Tartan.

Any yes, ladies usually do not want to wear a kilt because it is simply a heavy, imposing garment. So ladies usually choose to have something made from Tartan of a lighter weight and without all the internal interfacing.

Thank you Steve, for the quick reply. The internal dialogue that I have been having with myself is that I am just not that close enough in Scottish ancestry to consider wearing tartan, even though I would love to. I know this may seem like a silly question, but typically, if you don't carry a Scottish name, what is generational limit of distance for wearing it? That Ontario tartan is quite striking.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Karl R View Post
    As a female, you could get a kilted skirt, mini kilt, shawl, and/or sash in tartan. You could also get a kilt. However, since kilts are more often worn by men, you would want to specify that you're female when ordering. (I've heard kiltmakers say the construction is different to accommodate the different body shape.)

Based on your background, I'm aware of the following tartans that you could choose from: Scott, Marshall, Campbell, Roxburgh, Ontario, Glasgow, and Argyll. There are probably several color variations for many of them. If you feel that one of those choices better expresses your roots than the others, then you might want to choose that tartan.

Women's garments generally use lighter weight wool, so you'll want to see which of the above tartans comes in a sufficiently light weight. (This may also vary with the type of garment.) If you plan to wear multiple tartan items at the same time, it's recommended that you order them at the same time, so they'll all be cut from the same bolt of cloth. Otherwise, there may be minor color variations.

As another option, you could also choose a "universal" or "fashion" tartan (for example, Black Watch, or Spirit of Scotland). There are hundreds of those to choose from.
    As I understand it, women normally don't wear the tartan attire in comparison to men in Scotland. Do more women wear this in North America? Thanks!

Victoria, BC Canada 48° 25' 47.31"N 123° 20' 4.59" W
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm in a similar situation JamieN. One of my G-G Grandfathers lists on a US Census that his father was born in Scotland. And that is where my genealogy paper trail breaks. We do not know where in Scotland or when, or even his name.

So, I don't wear any Clan Tartans. I wear X Marks, Black Watch (Weathered), Isle of Skye, The Victoria, City of Gardens, The Company of Adventurers (HBC), Maple Leaf and the USMC Dress Blue. All of these are Universal or are from my personal background, not from my family or lineage.
    Steve Ashton
    Forum Owner

9. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Steve Ashton For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As I understand it, women normally don't wear the tartan attire in comparison to men in Scotland. Do more women wear this in North America?
    If you're comparing women in North America to men in North America, I'm going to have to put it at about equal. Men normally don't wear tartan attire. Women don't normally wear tartan attire. There are rare exceptions (Scottish festivals, Burns suppers, Renaissance festivals) where a number of men and women are wearing tartan attire.

Are you trying to blend in, or stand out? If you're trying to blend in, don't wear tartan. When I'm wearing a kilt, I'm expecting to stand out. You would probably stand out less than I do, because very, very few people would recognize the difference between a kilted skirt and a more normal plaid skirt.

The internal dialogue that I have been having with myself is that I am just not that close enough in Scottish ancestry to consider wearing tartan, even though I would love to. I know this may seem like a silly question, but typically, if you don't carry a Scottish name, what is generational limit of distance for wearing it?
    There are some members of the forum who wear tartan kilts even though they are absolutely certain that they have zero Scottish heritage. When my wife gave me my first kilt, I wasn't certain whether or not I had any Scottish ancestry.

My surname is German, not Scottish. When someone sees me in a kilt and asks me, "Are you Scottish?" they have been perfectly satisfied with the answer "Part Scottish." Not one of them wanted me to explain to them how Scottish I was. I generally got the impression that they did not want to listen to me talk about my ancestry in great detail.

There are no guidelines that we can give you. This is entirely about what you feel comfortable with (or what you're willing to wear while feeling uncomfortable about it).
    Trying to look good on a budget.

11. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Karl R For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Ashton View Post
    I'm in a similar situation JamieN. One of my G-G Grandfathers lists on a US Census that his father was born in Scotland. And that is where my genealogy paper trail breaks. We do not know where in Scotland or when, or even his name.

So, I don't wear any Clan Tartans. I wear X Marks, Black Watch (Weathered), Isle of Skye, The Victoria, City of Gardens, The Company of Adventurers (HBC), Maple Leaf and the USMC Dress Blue. All of these are Universal or are from my personal background, not from my family or lineage.
    I agree, Steve. My family tradition holds that our Scottish ancestors (Riddles) came to America via Ulster, but I bear no name connecting me with a Scottish family or clan. I'm still hunting that line down in my genealogy. When I wear kilts, they are of historical tartans (Government, 42nd Kilts, 42nd Musician, USMC Leatherneck, Old Culloden and so forth) that anybody can wear. I would recommend my plan (or yours) to anyone who can't prove a link to a Scottish surname and its clan tartan and who is looking for a tartan to wear.

JohnnyO is offline Oops, it seems this member needs to update their email address
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Jamie, speaking as a kilt wearing Scot, living in Scotland, there are few 'Tartan Police' going about and I haven't met one in over 50 years of kilt wearing.
    If you're really wanting to go by the book then you could write to the Clan Chief of the clan to which you feel the closest family link, if there is no present Chief then the Clan Association should there be one, asking permission to 'officially' wear the tartan. This is what I did as the original name was lost through marriage.
    Or, you could just give the traditional answer of, "It was my grannie's tartan", the advice given to me by my first kiltmaker, the late Jimmie Kilpatrick of Luss.
    Please enjoy wearing your final choice.

Bring Forrit the Tartan

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyO View Post
    "It was my grannie's tartan"
    What he said. I actually do wear my grannie's tartan.

If you like the idea of wearing tartan - pick something you like and just go for it.

As Steve highlights there are tartans that would reflect your Scottish and Canadian heritage - maybe that sits better in terms of justifying wearing it, but beyond asking what the tartan is most people will not question why you are wearing it and no-one will check your credentials.

It's worth keeping in mind that most of the traditions (and for that matter many tartans) are actually fairly recent inventions and a lot of the rules are somewhat bogus if you start to dig into it.

15. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Tomo For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast