X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacques View Post
    Luke,

Where did you get your regimental waistkit and coat?

Thanks much

Jacques
    The laced waistcoat was one that I picked up in a trade. It was 40th of Foot out of Canada. Wool is rather thin, and its linen lined. I switched out the lace and shortened it for wear with the 42nd. The Unlaced buff faced coat was bespoke, Woolrich wool and K&P bay/broadcloth lining and cuffs , the unlaced madder and buff faced red drummers coat are K&P wool, I made with the pattern that was part of the deal on the bespoke coat.

2. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Luke MacGillie For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've only tried wearing the kilt like that a few times. More often the back just hangs long behind me. But I wanted to give it a go. I don't like the brooch and prefer to simply tie it with twill tape. Much more secure.

Quote Originally Posted by dcommini View Post
    I'm not a fan of wearing the belted plaid over the shoulder like that, it just feels too restricting to me. If it's cold and wet I'll wear it over my shoulders like a cloak. I'll have to see if I have any pictures to attach...

::EDIT::

I found some pictures...

Attachment 37805
    Attachment 37806

It's good for keeping off the rain and for cuddles/protecting your child from the rain as well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Another venture out

While normally I prefer the traditional kilt, yesterday I decided to wear the plaid to work. (I'm a schoolteacher.) Here are the results.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AAA7F94D-4777-4EE0-869E-85E44C158562.jpeg 
Views:	55 
Size:	105.6 KB 
ID:	37833

Name:	0426FB61-C24B-4F2A-92B8-E454672AE20E.jpeg 
Views:	47 
Size:	83.3 KB 
ID:	37834

5. The Following 4 Users say 'Aye' to jthk For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jthk View Post
    While normally I prefer the traditional kilt, yesterday I decided to wear the plaid to work. (I'm a schoolteacher.) Here are the results.

Looks good!
    OblSB, PhD, KOSG

"By all means, marry. If you get a good wife, you'll become happy; if you get a bad one, you'll become a philosopher." -Socrates

7. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to dcommini For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Always ike your look! I think you may have already answered this, but what belt do you use to secure the GK (ie 'underneath')?
    Dduw Bendithia pob Celtiaid

9. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Blaidd For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Blaidd View Post
    Always like your look! I think you may have already answered this, but what belt do you use to secure the GK (ie 'underneath')?
    Hey, thanks! I use a canvas double-D ring belt to actually secure the plaid to my body. I've also used other belts but when I know I'm going to use that big leather belt on the OUTSIDE, I prefer the thinner, more flexible belt underneath.

I will say that wearing the plaid as is shown in these photographs can be tiring if it's for the entire day. When I take off the canvas belt and let the plaid drop, it's always a sigh of relief. I have gone hiking out in the bush with a plaid but I've found it much more pleasurable if I can secure the above-the-belt plaid on my back or across my chest so it's not hanging in the rear.

(I fully acknowledge that the belted plaid is a historic garment that reeks of pageantry / costume / Brigadoonery in 2019 but I still like it.)

11. The Following User Says 'Aye' to jthk For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey, thanks! I use a canvas double-D ring belt to actually secure the plaid to my body. I've also used other belts but when I know I'm going to use that big leather belt on the OUTSIDE, I prefer the thinner, more flexible belt underneath.

I will say that wearing the plaid as is shown in these photographs can be tiring if it's for the entire day. When I take off the canvas belt and let the plaid drop, it's always a sigh of relief. I have gone hiking out in the bush with a plaid but I've found it much more pleasurable if I can secure the above-the-belt plaid on my back or across my chest so it's not hanging in the rear.

(I fully acknowledge that the belted plaid is a historic garment that reeks of pageantry / costume / Brigadoonery in 2019 but I still like it.)
    I know exactly what you mean about removal I use a far lighter replacement fabric when wearing the full plaid, but even that is tiring! Thank for the tip re the belt, another buckle underneath the plaid is uncomfortable for sure!! Like you, I like it - it's something a little different, and some folks can't handle 'different'!
    Dduw Bendithia pob Celtiaid

13. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Blaidd For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Blaidd View Post
    I know exactly what you mean about removal I use a far lighter replacement fabric when wearing the full plaid, but even that is tiring! Thank for the tip re the belt, another buckle underneath the plaid is uncomfortable for sure!! Like you, I like it - it's something a little different, and some folks can't handle 'different'!
    The plaid in the picture is 16 oz wool so it's much heavier than my PV belted plaid. The canvas D-ring is tied on and the buckle is off to my right side so when I put the Big Bad-*** Leather Belt on, the buckles aren't on top of each other.

How do you wear yours? Toss up some photos if you want.

I wear the plaid because I'm very interested in the actual garment as a "normal" piece of clothing; that is, the highlanders invented something very similar to what we call the belted plaid and wore it for quite some time -- probably engaged in a lot of physical movement (work, travelling, etc.). There are quite a few differences, however, between me and my life and the lives of the highlanders from the 16th-18th century. I do not work outside, and while my climate has some similarities with the highland weather, it's not exactly the same. I have a WIDE variety of clothing options available to me that were never available to the highlanders. I have, overall, a much easier, safer, and healthier life than most of those folks did. But I'm still interested in the kilt and its predecessors as a "working" article of clothing.

15. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to jthk For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The plaid in the picture is 16 oz wool so it's much heavier than my PV belted plaid. The canvas D-ring is tied on and the buckle is off to my right side so when I put the Big Bad-*** Leather Belt on, the buckles aren't on top of each other.

How do you wear yours? Toss up some photos if you want.

I wear the plaid because I'm very interested in the actual garment as a "normal" piece of clothing; that is, the highlanders invented something very similar to what we call the belted plaid and wore it for quite some time -- probably engaged in a lot of physical movement (work, travelling, etc.). There are quite a few differences, however, between me and my life and the lives of the highlanders from the 16th-18th century. I do not work outside, and while my climate has some similarities with the highland weather, it's not exactly the same. I have a WIDE variety of clothing options available to me that were never available to the highlanders. I have, overall, a much easier, safer, and healthier life than most of those folks did. But I'm still interested in the kilt and its predecessors as a "working" article of clothing.
    I obviously share the same interests as you do. I have worn my plaid doing construction before, and other various outside work environments. Unfortunately, I do not have any opportunities to wear my plaid at my current job, so I do so just whenever.

In Alaska, the climate is a bit more harsh than the highlands in the winter time (at least from what I've heard), so wearing of the plaid often entails making sure that the rest of me is going to be OK. That being said, I've worn my plaid in the desert, in the rain forest, on the top of a mountain, in the woods of Tennessee, and many other places and environments. It is a good and functional garment for just about anywhere (except maybe Antarctica and the far northern climes).

Also, lastly, as for a belt to keep the whole thing together... I use the tan nylon belt the Army gave me (similar type pictured below), it keeps it secure and it lays flat, even through the buckle part that having a larger belt on the outside isn't uncomfortable.

Name:	propper-tactical-duty-belt-tan499-f560375233.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	5.7 KB 
ID:	37852
    OblSB, PhD, KOSG

"By all means, marry. If you get a good wife, you'll become happy; if you get a bad one, you'll become a philosopher." -Socrates

17. The Following User Says 'Aye' to dcommini For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dcommini View Post
    I obviously share the same interests as you do. I have worn my plaid doing construction before, and other various outside work environments. Unfortunately, I do not have any opportunities to wear my plaid at my current job, so I do so just whenever.

In Alaska, the climate is a bit more harsh than the highlands in the winter time (at least from what I've heard), so wearing of the plaid often entails making sure that the rest of me is going to be OK. That being said, I've worn my plaid in the desert, in the rain forest, on the top of a mountain, in the woods of Tennessee, and many other places and environments. It is a good and functional garment for just about anywhere (except maybe Antarctica and the far northern climes).

Also, lastly, as for a belt to keep the whole thing together... I use the tan nylon belt the Army gave me (similar type pictured below), it keeps it secure and it lays flat, even through the buckle part that having a larger belt on the outside isn't uncomfortable.
    Thanks for sharing; are you wearing the same plaid in all of these environments? May I ask -- do you pleat it every time or do you have belt loops? What do you do with the material ABOVE the belt?

I recently made some Native-styled leggings to use in VERY cold weather -- blue wool with red knee-garters. I can't find the exact picture I'm looking for but here are some ideas, but using deerskin. There's also one with European-styled gaiters which I've also purchased from Townsends: (https://www.townsends.us/collections...s-ga986-p-1578).

1. https://www.pinterest.com/pin/431290101815015696/
    2. https://www.pinterest.com/pin/326299935503610946/
    3. https://bantarleton.tumblr.com/post/...ck-watch-north

Best,
    Jonathan

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast