X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jthk View Post
    Thanks for sharing; are you wearing the same plaid in all of these environments? May I ask -- do you pleat it every time or do you have belt loops? What do you do with the material ABOVE the belt?

I recently made some Native-styled leggings to use in VERY cold weather -- blue wool with red knee-garters. I can't find the exact picture I'm looking for but here are some ideas, but using deerskin. There's also one with European-styled gaiters which I've also purchased from Townsends: (https://www.townsends.us/collections...s-ga986-p-1578).

1. https://www.pinterest.com/pin/431290101815015696/
    2. https://www.pinterest.com/pin/326299935503610946/
    3. https://bantarleton.tumblr.com/post/...ck-watch-north

Best,
    Jonathan
    Yes, I wore the same plaid in all the environments I mentioned. It's the only plaid I have, though I might get another one after my tax return comes in.

I pleat it every single time, no belt loops.

As for the material above the belt, it depends. I may just let it hang in the back, if it's really cold then it all hangs down. If it's hot it probably hangs down in the back or tucked back under the belt. If the sun is beaming down on me in the desert then I may wear it like a cloak to avoid sunburn, just loosely so I can still get a good amount of circulation. If its raining then I wear it like a cloak again.

Those leggings are intriguing! I may have to see about getting some. Usually, I just double up on my kilt hose if it is really cold. Also, I just discovered Townsends YoutTube channel and I have thoroughly enjoyed watching some of his videos.

If you could find a picture of your leggings or instructions on how to make a pair and pass them along I would be much obliged.
    OblSB, PhD, KOSG

"By all means, marry. If you get a good wife, you'll become happy; if you get a bad one, you'll become a philosopher." -Socrates

2. The Following User Says 'Aye' to dcommini For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dcommini View Post
    Yes, I wore the same plaid in all the environments I mentioned. It's the only plaid I have, though I might get another one after my tax return comes in.

I pleat it every single time, no belt loops.

As for the material above the belt, it depends. I may just let it hang in the back, if it's really cold then it all hangs down. If it's hot it probably hangs down in the back or tucked back under the belt. If the sun is beaming down on me in the desert then I may wear it like a cloak to avoid sunburn, just loosely so I can still get a good amount of circulation. If its raining then I wear it like a cloak again.

Those leggings are intriguing! I may have to see about getting some. Usually, I just double up on my kilt hose if it is really cold. Also, I just discovered Townsends YoutTube channel and I have thoroughly enjoyed watching some of his videos.

If you could find a picture of your leggings or instructions on how to make a pair and pass them along I would be much obliged.
    Is your plaid wool? What's the weight and how much yardage is it? Most of mine are 4 yards long, double-width.

A good friend of mine who is a local expert in Native and colonial clothing helped me with them but I'll see about turning up something... Could you please send me a private message?

Here's myself with a plaid and the leggings I made: https://share.icloud.com/photos/0M0Q...K9It4h781v4zUA

Best,
    J

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The plaid in the picture is 16 oz wool so it's much heavier than my PV belted plaid. The canvas D-ring is tied on and the buckle is off to my right side so when I put the Big Bad-*** Leather Belt on, the buckles aren't on top of each other.

How do you wear yours? Toss up some photos if you want.

I wear the plaid because I'm very interested in the actual garment as a "normal" piece of clothing; that is, the highlanders invented something very similar to what we call the belted plaid and wore it for quite some time -- probably engaged in a lot of physical movement (work, travelling, etc.). There are quite a few differences, however, between me and my life and the lives of the highlanders from the 16th-18th century. I do not work outside, and while my climate has some similarities with the highland weather, it's not exactly the same. I have a WIDE variety of clothing options available to me that were never available to the highlanders. I have, overall, a much easier, safer, and healthier life than most of those folks did. But I'm still interested in the kilt and its predecessors as a "working" article of clothing.
    Agreed! Regrettably, I have no pictures... Something I need to address! It certainly strikes up some great conversations. Many have seen 'a cilt' but the GK looks something completely different. In my opinion, when done right, it can look 'better'. (now taking cover.... 🤣)
    Dduw Bendithia pob Celtiaid

5. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Blaidd For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Blaidd View Post
    Agreed! Regrettably, I have no pictures... Something I need to address! It certainly strikes up some great conversations. Many have seen 'a cilt' but the GK looks something completely different. In my opinion, when done right, it can look 'better'. (now taking cover.... ��)
    No need to dive for cover, but I am afraid that we will have to differ on this.

Personally, I think that the great kilt is best left to the history books and the theatre. The wearing of the great kilt in my and some others in Scotland day to day experiences, just brings silent ridicule and despair to knowledgeable kilt wearers who occasionally see them in the wild and the thought of perhaps some actor has wandered off the film set, springs to mind. Sorry and it gives me no pleasure to be so blunt.
    Last edited by Jock Scot; 28th November 19 at 03:20 PM.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

7. The Following 6 Users say 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Agreed! Regrettably, I have no pictures... Something I need to address! It certainly strikes up some great conversations. Many have seen 'a cilt' but the GK looks something completely different. In my opinion, when done right, it can look 'better'. (now taking cover.... 🤣)
    It's interesting: because I usually leave the above-the-belt hanging behind me, most people recognise it as a kilt but are clearly confused because it's different but it's similar enough for them to make the connection. With regards to the appearance, it is indeed in the eye of the beholder!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jock Scot View Post

Personally, I think that the great kilt is best left to the history books and the theatre. The wearing of the great kilt in my and some others in Scotland day to day experiences, just brings silent ridicule and despair to knowledgeable kilt wearers who occasionally see them in the wild and the thought of perhaps some actor has wandered off the film set, springs to mind. Sorry and it gives me no pleasure to be so blunt.
    No bother, Jock. We all have our own opinions and preferences that have been shaped over years. As I mentioned previously I prefer the traditional kilt myself, but am keenly interested in the practical origins of the kilt. Since the traditional kilt appears to be largely a product of Victorian England and was never the garment that was worn by your ordinary highlander, it's a different garment altogether than its "grandfather", the belted plaid. I'm also particularly fond of the 4-yard box-pleated kilt as that appears to be a step in-between the belted plaid and the more common knife-pleated traditional kilt that one sees today.

Regards,
    J

10. The Following 5 Users say 'Aye' to jthk For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jock Scot View Post

Jock,

Absolutely fine, each to their own. And as I say, in the right circumstances. Ironically, I have also had 'discussions' with (in their words) 'true Scots' who do not believe the kilt should be worn anyway (and I was sans kilt at the time)!.......As I say, each to their own. That said, I do normally wear a trad cilt rather than the GK!
    Dduw Bendithia pob Celtiaid

12. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Blaidd For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jock,

..................... Ironically, I have also had 'discussions' with (in their words) 'true Scots' who do not believe the kilt should be worn anyway (and I was sans kilt at the time)!.......As I say, each to their own. ...................
    Many on this website may be surprised that I have come across these discussions with some Scots from time to time, so its not in the least bit unusual. When I have been able to ask why, the usual first answer is something along the lines of, "oh I cannot be bothered with all that nonsense" and is a fairly standard answer from some throughout Scotland.

On occasion I have been able to delve a tad deeper and a fair smattering of reasons are given ranging from, "I am not going to wear a skirt", "have you seen the price of a kilt?", "its time Scotland got rid of all that toffee nosed traditions stuff", "I just cant be bothered", "my family have never worn the kilt and I don't intend to start now", "kilts are for tourists", "there is more than enough tartan seen in Scotland without me adding to it", "Lowland Scots do not wear kilts" and yes, there are homophobic reasons given too. For sure there are variations to those answers and probably more that I have not heard.
    Last edited by Jock Scot; 29th November 19 at 05:02 AM.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

14. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No bother, Jock. We all have our own opinions and preferences that have been shaped over years. As I mentioned previously I prefer the traditional kilt myself, but am keenly interested in the practical origins of the kilt. Since the traditional kilt appears to be largely a product of Victorian England and was never the garment that was worn by your ordinary highlander, it's a different garment altogether than its "grandfather", the belted plaid. I'm also particularly fond of the 4-yard box-pleated kilt as that appears to be a step in-between the belted plaid and the more common knife-pleated traditional kilt that one sees today.

Regards,
    J
    Ironic answer here......

I actually wear a belted plaid more often than one of my kilts. But its because I average 1-2 reenactment events a month, and then a solid 9 weekend run from late August to the end of October. At these events I pretty much live in my belted plaid. I average perhaps one or two evenings a month wearing an actual kilt, and then it is one of those 4 yard box pleated types.

But I maintain that separation, I would never wear a belted plaid just to go to the pub, but I might wear my kilt.

16. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Luke MacGillie For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Luke MacGillie View Post
    Ironic answer here......

I actually wear a belted plaid more often than one of my kilts. But its because I average 1-2 reenactment events a month, and then a solid 9 weekend run from late August to the end of October. At these events I pretty much live in my belted plaid. I average perhaps one or two evenings a month wearing an actual kilt, and then it is one of those 4 yard box pleated types.

But I maintain that separation, I would never wear a belted plaid just to go to the pub, but I might wear my kilt.
    Gotcha.

When you're spending that much time in the belted plaid, what do you usually do with the top bits?

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast