X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Belted plaid in 2019

Hi all,

While I occasionally wear the historic garment known as the féileadh mór/belted plaid/féileadh an bhreacáin, I have rarely tied up the plaid and here is my historically inaccurate attempt ... again, just for the craic and not aiming for any kind of historical accuracy. FYI, it's the Canadian maple leaf tartan in 16 oz wool from Lochcarron; 4 yards by 55-something inches, double-width.

Ádh mór,
    Jonathan

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	150B941B-70AF-43DB-A445-7AFD399068E1.jpg 
Views:	112 
Size:	192.1 KB 
ID:	37750

Name:	0920C9F9-B948-476D-B3AE-234B621A3855.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	180.9 KB 
ID:	37751
    Last edited by jthk; 4th November 19 at 05:42 PM.

2. The Following 7 Users say 'Aye' to jthk For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am still at a loss to understand these modern "Belted Plaids" that are not constructed in a historical manner. Especially the way they somehow join in the middle of the chest, instead of attach at the back of one, or both shoulders.

Sorry, hate to be that guy that you cant just enjoy a period movie with because he is constantly screaming at the screen about how wrong everything is.....

4. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to Luke MacGillie For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Luke MacGillie View Post
    I am still at a loss to understand these modern "Belted Plaids" that are not constructed in a historical manner. Especially the way they somehow join in the middle of the chest, instead of attach at the back of one, or both shoulders.

Sorry, hate to be that guy that you cant just enjoy a period movie with because he is constantly screaming at the screen about how wrong everything is.....
    Hi Luke,

Please note that I put this in the "Contemporary" sub-forum for a reason. Also, what I'm wearing is four complete yards of double-width material that I hand-pleated on my bed and is being entirely held on by one belt.

Best,
    Jonathan

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Im not trying to be a stick in the mud, Kilt Kop or anything, I just get different looking results, even when I use doublewide material, not 2 lengths of single butted together. It's only been in the last few years that I have even been able to get proper single width.

7. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Luke MacGillie For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Im not trying to be a stick in the mud, Kilt Kop or anything, I just get different looking results, even when I use doublewide material, not 2 lengths of single butted together. It's only been in the last few years that I have even been able to get proper single width.
    No bother at all. Because I'm not a re-enactor and am not trying to represent historically-accurate clothing from the highlands, I found that the 4 yards of double-width was appropriate for my pursuits. I do realise that to be historically accurate, I'd not be dressed (at all) like I am in these photos!

Best,
    Jonathan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Luke: I would welcome pictures of your own belted plaid if you feel so inclined.

Best,
    J

10. The Following User Says 'Aye' to jthk For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    jthk,

The pleats loo really good for such a garment. I would be interested in a pic or two , front and back, of it off the shoulder and tied about the waist.

12. The Following User Says 'Aye' to bodhran4me For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jthk View Post
    Luke: I would welcome pictures of your own belted plaid if you feel so inclined.

Best,
    J
    J,

I will happily post. Will be this evening, as I will have to hunt for the perfect photos, or edit out all the evil swords, dirks, pistols and muskets that "Sneak" into photos of me in a belted plaid and cause Admins and Mods to Admonish me.

14. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Luke MacGillie For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bodhran4me View Post
    jthk, The pleats loo really good for such a garment. I would be interested in a pic or two , front and back, of it off the shoulder and tied about the waist.
    I put the same belted plaid on today, with just a T-shirt so you could see the pleating. When I wear it in this manner (again: NOT documented by historical evidence), the soft fabric belt is holding the kilt on but then I wear a wide leather belt to smooth things over; it helps that part of the kilt from being bulky. The belt also serves as an attachment point for a variety of things, including sticking the kilt under it to fashion pockets or, in this situation, to simply get the two long front aprons out of the way.

Name:	FBC2100F-52F9-45A3-9C4B-8809943C3A3D.jpeg 
Views:	77 
Size:	70.6 KB 
ID:	37755Click image for larger version. 

Name:	E2DB9EF9-391F-4914-86A1-41B65E0B1D40.jpeg 
Views:	96 
Size:	78.9 KB 
ID:	37756

Best,
    Jonathan
    Last edited by jthk; 4th November 19 at 05:45 PM.

16. The Following 6 Users say 'Aye' to jthk For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So to understand, or clarify what you have here:
    1. I am assuming that this is an in-pleated, single piece of tartan?
    2. The pleats are formed by the folds you form, leaving an unpleated (or unfolded) width at each end, serving as the apron and under apron?

18. The Following User Says 'Aye' to javankrona For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast