X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Simple Sporran With MOD Cantle

I finished this sporran almost 18 months ago and have only had the opportunity to wear it a couple of times. It works pretty well and doesn't look too bad. The cantle is one of those rare MOD cantles that I was fortunate to obtain. The bag is plain and will hold a wallet and keys easily. At some point I will make a bag which is a bit more decorative but for now this will do.
    MOD Sporran Completed.JPG

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think it looks great! Sporrans built on MoD cantles don't need a lot of fancy extras. Let the cantle be the centre of attention.

3. The Following 4 Users say 'Aye' to Tobus For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

cool

It looks very nice

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks great!

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd be proud to wear it. Well done.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Please tell me where I can invest in a cantle like this.

Thanks

Garth
    South African military veteran. Great grandson of Captain William Henry Stevenson of the Highland Light Infantry, Scotland (1880's) and brother to Infantryman Peter Mark Schumann of the 2nd Transvaal Scottish, South Africa (1980's).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well...it is an investment. This one came from a friend in Scotland. Don't know if he has any more available. At one time, when these cantles were declared surplus and put on the market, they were inexpensive. That is not the case any more. Anyway, this gentleman does monitor the Forum and if he has any available perhaps he will contact you.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, the MoD "Culloden" cantles have become difficult to find. This time 10 years ago, they would come up on eBay regularly and could be bought for anywhere from $30 to $100. Over the years, they started showing up less and less, and now when they do show up, they go for ridiculous money (especially the earlier models). I think one sold a few months ago for something like $300 or $400, if memory serves. A couple of people have tried making reproductions, but they were very expensive as well. If you find one, snap it up! The value is only going to increase.

10. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Tobus For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tobus View Post
    Yes, the MoD "Culloden" cantles have become difficult to find. This time 10 years ago, they would come up on eBay regularly and could be bought for anywhere from $30 to $100. Over the years, they started showing up less and less, and now when they do show up, they go for ridiculous money (especially the earlier models). I think one sold a few months ago for something like $300 or $400, if memory serves. A couple of people have tried making reproductions, but they were very expensive as well. If you find one, snap it up! The value is only going to increase.
    Mine wasn't that much but was pretty expensive anyway. It had some minor issues which I have fixed and, being the owner of six other sporrans, I don't wear it much so it should last a long time. I had thought of making my own cantle as I have some metal working experience which might have helped but, when this one became available, I put that aside.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The OP's sporran is beautiful.

It has superb proportions and I love the leather.

The lack of superfluous ornament is a very good thing, as it serves to bring the quality of the proportions and leather to the fore.

About those MOD cantles, it's odd.

I picked up a lot of three on Ebay for well under $100 total, and I've seen single ones sell for under $50.

At one time I had four or five of those things about.

Yet from time to time one sells for several hundred dollars! There's no sense to it.

(Several Gordon Highlanders ones, most in the original roughout leather, a couple have been pipeclayed.)

(How they looked as originally intended, as part of the 1953 No1 Dress)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FWDBdHL8OMQ
    Last edited by OC Richard; 14th November 19 at 08:21 PM.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

13. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to OC Richard For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast