X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Thread: Hose?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hose?

Dear Kiltlovers,

as far as I know Kilt-Hoses are a special kind of stockings made for being worn with a Kilt. As I do not only sew but also knit I want do make some on my own. Are there any good and free instructions on the internet?
    Second Question:
    I thought, that if the entire hose is made of wool it might wear out easily and get holes or becomes felted in the footpart. Moist and warmth from the feet will cause the wool to felt. So that felting and holes do not happen, I thought of separating the foot and the leg part of the hose.
    The leg part does not felt and continues to look beautiful while the foot part can be replaced easily, when it gets holes. By now I made two pairs of leg parts.

It is not entirely traditional, but what do you think?
    By the way: Bavarian peasants had the same problem and their solution was exactely that: Separating leg and foot part of stockings. This became the 'Wadlstrümpfe' a part of Bavarian traditional costume for men.

Greetings from Munich
    Michael

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I visited Munich a few years ago and a very beautiful and interesting city it is. I was taken with the Bavarian dress and thought that the hose would be suitable for wear with a kilt. I saw an advert for the type of hose you described.

I saw many guys wearing lederhosen and invested in some myself, although I have not worn them back in Northern Ireland. I think they need to be worn a lot so that the leather become softer, and a kilt is rather more comfortable.

John

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by John_Carrick View Post
    I visited Munich a few years ago and a very beautiful and interesting city it is. I was taken with the Bavarian dress and thought that the hose would be suitable for wear with a kilt. I saw an advert for the type of hose you described.
    Hello John,

I hope you enjoyed your stay in Munich. The traditional Wadlstrümpfe often have more than one Colour, e.g. Grey and green. During the time of Oktoberfest (The Beer Festival that takes place from End of September till the first week of October) many men wear Lederhosen and other Elements of what is considered the traditional Bavarian costume. So Women wear a Dirndl-Dress. People even go to work dressed in Lederhosen or Dirndl. Currently I don't have any of these garments. When I was a Teenager my parents bought me one, but I gave it away since I grew out of it. Yes, I thought my solution modifing the kilt hose by omitting the Foot part, and wearing it with socks is quite practical.
    Quote Originally Posted by John_Carrick View Post
    I saw many guys wearing lederhosen and invested in some myself, although I have not worn them back in Northern Ireland. I think they need to be worn a lot so that the leather become softer, and a kilt is rather more comfortable.

John
    I totally agree with you: A kilt is much more comfortable than Lederhosen. That's why I like them too.

Greetings from a dull November day in Munich

Michael
    Last edited by Michael the Bavarian; 8th November 19 at 07:26 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wish I had sent more than two days there and hope to return to explore the museums more thoroughly and to repeat my visit to the Chinese Tower in the English Garden, this time after taking a swim around the amazing waterways that go through the par. There are many other experiences I would like to repeat and I might brave the zip wire across the Olympic Stadium as well.
    I did buy a very nice modern style Bavarian jacket, which I wear often in the winter.

Victoria, BC Canada 48° 25' 47.31"N 123° 20' 4.59" W
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is a bit of confusion over the descriptions of yarns. There is no universally accepted description system. Not even within the same country.

So, for socks, what most of us who knit hose use, is called sock yarn. This is some times listed by weight and we use light fingering weight. Some systems call this #1 weight. But sock yarn does not refer to the weight but refers to a blend of Wool with Nylon added for strength. Many of us also use wool that is called "Superwash" which means that is does not shrink or felt as much as other wool yarns.

My personal sock yarn is 80% Superwash Merino wool blended with 20% Nylon.
    It is 337 meters per 100 grams.

I knit my custom kilt hose on a Circular Sock Knitting Machine or CSM for short.

These machines have been around since the 1880's but mine is new.

I also like to do contrasting cuffs like you do.

Sometimes I do cuffs a little fancier than just ribbed.

Sometimes I do cables.

And sometime colorwork.

The type of half sock that you do are called Hose Tops.

And are quite popular among military units that use spats.

But most commercial kilt hose are the leg and foot in one.

As you should be able to tell, I know how much work goes into a pair of Kilt Hose. So good on you. Well done.
    Last edited by Steve Ashton; 8th November 19 at 02:29 PM.
    Steve Ashton
    Forum Owner

6. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to Steve Ashton For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Ashton View Post
    There is a bit of confusion over the descriptions of yarns. There is no universally accepted description system. Not even within the same country.

So, for socks, what most of us who knit hose use, is called sock yarn. This is some times listed by weight and we use light fingering weight. Some systems call this #1 weight. But sock yarn does not refer to the weight but refers to a blend of Wool with Nylon added for strength. Many of us also use wool that is called "Superwash" which means that is does not shrink or felt as much as other wool yarns.

I knit my custom kilt hose on a Circular Sock Knitting Machine or CSM for short.

I also like to do contrasting cuffs like you do.

Sometimes I do cables.

And sometime colorwork.

As you should be able to tell, I know how much work goes into a pair of Kilt Hose. So good on you. Well done.
    Steve I have to say the contrasting cuffs look stunning. Very unique and look very versatile as well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That is a great idea! I have to try it as well.

And sometime colorwork.

Did we came to the same design independently or did my Version inspire you - which is totally ok, by the way?

Hello Steve,
    I like your designs and your hoses, especially the ones in several colours and the pair with no foot part to be worn with socks and spats. As I am not familiar with military styles, I do not know how soldiers wear them, but I think, that Regiments and Units have their requirements that prescribe exactely how to combine certain elements of a uniform.
    When I knit socks I only use Five needles - the traditional method. I know that mixtures of wool and artificial fibers add more strength and stability to the socks, but I want make socks with wool only.
    It is a lot of work but it is also very satisfying especially during the dark and cool days of winter.

Greetings from Munich
    Michael